6 month SD review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
v8trev

Post by v8trev »

I know that this has been covered in another topic but I thought I would put my twopennyworth in probably to the chagrin of our fellow Macan owners.
We picked up OUR new SD in January after a 5 month wait - spec briefly & not comprehensive - carmine red, 21 inch gloss black sport classics, sport design kit, comfort seats with memory, heated seats, nav module, privacy glass, PASM, pana roof.
It's just gone through 6,000 miles which has included a 2 week trip to Cornwall (we live in the North East) and just come back from a 5 day trip to Honfleur in Normandy.
Let's start with the positives:-
a) superb mile muncher with comfortable seats
b) superb build quality
c) quick when you need it to be - I'll leave it at that
d) looks the business
e) pretty economical - overall average is around 36mpg but around 38-40mpg on a long run

Now what I don't like:-
a) it's a BIG car - our trip to Cornwall included some very narrow lanes with grassy banks covering stone dykes - at times the grass was getting brushed on either side by the car
b) it's a BIG car - multi storey car parks with nice big concrete kerbs are a challenge - at times you are completely blind
c) it's just not exciting to drive - it does everything in a very civilised fashion but the handling is like driving with stilettos on even with PASM set to Sport - I'm sorry I've come from 3 Boxster S's and I know you can't compare the two as they are completely different animals but I miss my Boxster
d) the drivers footwell is extremely cramped for a big car with no separate footrest leading to you twisting your left foot to the side with resulting cramp
e) it's actually not that big inside - we are no giants but I wouldn't like to be sat in the back seats for any length of time as there is not a lot of legroom - it's not an issue for us as there are only the two of us. The boot space is OK but not enormous - I can just get my golf clubs & trolley in
f) 21 inch wheels look fantastic but they are a nightmare to avoid kerbing - we've so far managed 2 minor scuffs (thankfully we took out the alloy & tyre insurance) - neither of us are admitting who scuffed them but it wasn't me, I'm pretty sure! As a result of this, I wish we'd specced the surround camera.
g) turbo lag - coming out of roundabouts or turning into a junction, its definitely there & spoils the driving experience
h) jerky drive at times - our drive is very steep & the throttle can be very on/off at times when pulling away (it's been back to the dealer & they found nothing wrong)
I) over sensitive parking sensors - it's been well documented here so I'll say no more
j) water runs after washing - aaargh - yes again you'll all know what I mean - runs from the mirror housing, rear spoiler & rear side windows

At the. beginning I mentioned OUR Macan - well my wife came up with the idea that we could manage on one car so I sold my Boxster & part ex'd my wifes XC60 on the agreement that the new car would have to be a Porsche. On that basis we ordered our first new Porsche and waited. Pick-up was 2nd January (another bad move) and off we went. Well it was never going to work with one car so we ended up buying a 6 month old Octavia VRS with the DSG gearbox as a second car - OK it's a Skoda but I tell you that car is a little gem - hugely practical with a massive boot, economical and all the features which are options on the Macan. Ok it's not as luxurious but as a day to day car it's ideal.

This might all sound a bit negative to prospective Macan owners but if the Macan is your first ever Porsche, you probably won't be disappointed. If however like me you've come from a Boxster then you seriously need to think are you making the correct decision. I for one would trade my Macan in for a Boxster any day (a 981S, not one of the latest 718 4 cylinder turbo Subaru soundalikes) - let's wait and see :? :?

Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree with most of the above; yes it's a 2 tonne SUV and not a Boxster (despite the praise it receives on this forum - brilliant for an SUV....but still an SUV)
It is a big (wide) car but the visibility is not good which makes it ever more difficult to drive in restricted width circumstances. I had a Cayenne D for a month or two whilst my GTS was being delayed and it was so much easier to drive along lanes / multi stories etc and I can't believe the Cayenne is narrower that the Macan?
I never felt the turbo lag on my first SD that others report, but I did use the paddles to down shift possibly in anticipation....
Boot space is not generous due to the sloping rear window...
I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone who wants sports car performance / handling and Boxster sharpness to buy a Macan, but if you want a quality built, performing SUV then the Macan has few serious rivals.
(PS. I used to own and run a successful Skoda franchise and can confirm that a vRS estate takes a lot of beating as a mainstream car😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

+1 on the Octavia vRS estate. I had a manual petrol version for 3 years and loved that car. I missed it when I traded it in for the 5 series touring.

I also agree with a lot of the review of the Macan SD. As posted before, I looked at a GTS and didn't feel it gave enough more than the SD and concluded that a sports car alongside or instead of would only deliver what I was looking for.

That said, had a family weekend away this weekend and the Macan did exactly what it's designed for. Fitted us and our stuff easily in comfort, had good pace and was entertaining enough to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Agree with many of the comments, although, as v8trev is opening up to, their decision making process may have been slightly flawed. Clearly the sports car urge is still strong!

Can't agree about the footwell though. It has been mentioned before, but I don't know why. I'm 6-1 with size 10 feet and have no problems. There is a footrest. It's on the floor, where it should be, not half-way down the footwell. It certainly isn't 'extremely cramped'. I can't help feeling it's a seat adjustment issue.

Skodas are great. My wife's 13 year old Fabia is in superb condition and still going strong with its new owner and our 2010 Yeti has been brilliant since new.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
goron59

Post by goron59 »

+1 on footwell (ish)

I'm even bigger than NN and the only complaint compared to many other cars is that the footwell is every-so-slightly biased over to the right. So if you have a dodgy left hip and find you can easily turn your left leg in a bit, then it might feel cramped.

I have a dodgy right hip, so find cars biased the other way a bit cramped. I have trouble in a LHD Macan.

It's all down to individual biomechanics, size, shape and levels of adaptability.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

goron59 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 am
It's all down to individual biomechanics, size, shape and levels of adaptability.
Better put than me!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pete

Post by Pete »

Agreed that the foot well isn't cramped. I'm almost 6ft and not exactly slim but I don't find the footwell at all small. I could do with the footrest being an inch wider, but that's about it.

I'm not sure I agree with the "smaller boot" comment. It's only really smaller if you pile stuff up to above the level of the rear window or have to transport a wardrobe or a standard shape dog crate. Neither of which I need on a daily basis.

I've never known a car that doesn't dribble water over panels after washing.

I don't think there's a problem with "lag", it's just that the car isn't psychic. I guess you could imagine a system that changes gearing based on upcoming junctions and changes gear to suit whatever direction your SatNav is taking you.
happy days

Post by happy days »

16k Miles in now and I have to agree with most of the comments above. I don't find there to be turbo lag, but remember 2 tonnes can be hard to shift!

I am in the delightful position of having a Boxster too so I know what you mean.
Macan S D
718 S
Retired

Post by Retired »

Lag.

In normal, i.e. not sport / sport+ mode, the engine is so focused on economy / emissions that it get into higher gears as soon as possible and holds them as long as possible. In my old Turbo and current Turbo PP this means the engine in turning over at about 1100 to 1200 revs. It produces very little torque at these speeds and is slow to react. Turbo lag or just not much torque so low down in the rev range? Both I suspect.

At least in my car this is easily solved, put the car in sport and you get the car Porsche wanted you to have. Alert and responsive. Normal power train mode would be better named 'economy mode' and I suspect is the way it is to achieve the best possible consumption / emission levels. Believe RR use satnav to select gears according to the road ahead.

Boot space.

Picked up my daughter and a couple of her friends from the airport yesterday. Three suitcases, not huge, only just went in. Any more would have been on someone's lap. Not a problem for me 99% of the time, but limited capacity compared to some of the competition. But I knew that when I bought it along with the less then generous rear seat room.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

I understand when people are not happy with something that has been miss advertised or miss represented, I also understand when things have gone wrong or failed - but it sounds like you simply chose the wrong car?

You want something smaller - get an Audi Q2

You want something bigger inside - get a Cayenne

You want a sports car feel - should have kept the Boxster

You don't like turbo lack - should have got the GTS

I'm trying not to be blunt, but the car you crave does not exist, you should sell the Porsche and buy another Skoda.

This is not because we all have Macans and I'm offended - I just don't think you were ever going to be happy and should have thought it through far more thoroughly rather than blame the car which has performed as it should have but not the way you wanted!

James