Macans in Jersey

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

We are in hols in Jersey and the Macan seems to be a popular choice here. Have seen 4 or 5 each day since we arrived. Quite a few SD and S petrols as well as Turbos. Just one PP Turbo and none of the wise mans choice yet, the GTS :P

Also took a look around the one and only dealer today, 3 Macans in the showroom all sold. Quite a few Panameras about the dealership as well so they also seem a popular choice.

In previous visits I always noticed a load of Cayennes so it seems the natural change has been from them to Macan which makes a lot of sense given the tiny roads and tight spaces where everything squeezes into.

I'm roughing it in a 2.0 diesel automatic S Max titanium but it's actually a very nice car. Much much better than the Zafira we had last time and even the Grand C Max before.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

You didn't take your Macan on the ferry?! :o ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

With an island wide 40mph speed limit and narrow rubbish roads if there is ever a place for a small EV then Jersey it is.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes a small EV is the answer here but it's amazing how many huge cars there are. Guess the locals like their toys, the Bentley dealer seem to be pumping out the new Bentayga at quite a rate.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Also amazing how many powerful cars there are given the speed limit. Even in terms of Minis they are all Cooper S when a basic one would be fine.

What also confused me is seeing a few Golf GTDs, with what can be very low annual miles and diesel DFP issues for such low speed they seem a strange choice over a GTI.

Audi dealer have a couple of the new SQ5 that looked nice enough too.

Need to do more sight seeing lol.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Could it be, given the tax haven that Jersey is, that many of these cars will only spend a fraction of their lives there before being "brought back" with their owners and sold on the mainland? I'm no tax expert, but you could be running one of these for free if you only had to keep it for a year before selling it and didn't have to pay the VAT in the first place?

Any mileage in this?

James
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I imagine there would be tax issues bringing a car back to the Uk for sale, all of a sudden a VAT liability might appear.
bompey

Post by bompey »

It's a tax haven for funds and gIven the tax advantages of being resident in jersey I'm not surprised there are so many high end cars. It's almost rude not to.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

MCDK wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 pm I imagine there would be tax issues bringing a car back to the Uk for sale, all of a sudden a VAT liability might appear.
This is part of what I'm on about - you would not be able to simply buy one and send it back, but 12/24/36 months later perhaps you could? At what point does it become 2nd hand and VAT free? If you could save 20% in the first case - which would be £10/15k in most cases, then if the tax was no longer due after say 3 years, you could be running a new Porsche for £5/6k a year in depreciation - so why have a Mondeo which would cost you more if you kept it local?

James
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Miami Blue Macan spotted last night. Looked great in failing light.

Also the Enzo Ferrari looked pretty special and sounded amazing!!!