Apple Car Play/Navigation

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

After happily using TomTom GO for the past 18 months on my iPhone stuck on the windscreen of our trusty Honda CR-V, I was looking forward to being able to use TomTom via Apple Car Play on our soon-to-arrive Macan S.

All I read are horror stories about how bad connectivity/navigation are! I cannot find a single positive review.

Am I missing something, or are Porsche way behind the 8-ball here - after all, it's not a cheap car (especially with my options!)

goron59

Post by goron59 »

You can't use TomTom via CarPlay, sadly, unless Apple open up to 3rd party navigation apps with Car Play support.

PCM Nav is used by tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people, but only a very very small vocal minority whinge about it.
All in-car navigation systems are going to be worse on a number of counts compared to phone-based or dedicated navigation systems. And indeed better on other counts.

The biggest plus point, of course, is not having to stick your phone on the dashboard/window. And slightly better integration with controls, and usually a slightly bigger screen.

When reading "horror stories" on this forum and the internet generally, remember, that it's just some angry dude venting behind their keyboard :)

Eg, lots of "it's crap because it doesn't do postcodes :x " where actually, it does, they were just not using it properly, and of course the complaints disappear when they sheepishly realise that..

Try not to get pre-angered.
And keep your iPhone windscreen mount handy in case you need it :lol:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I'd second that.

Recently used the nav extensively on a 3000 mile trip around Europe and it did a great job. Like all sat navs, you have to use them and understand their strengths and weaknesses while not relying on them totally.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pete

Post by Pete »

The Sat Nav in my Macan works pretty well*.

* You may treat this as a 'Positive' review.

As goron rightly says, the internet is a beast - if you look for 'problems' on the internet relating to anything at all, you will find people proclaiming that it's the worst thing ever. Out of all of the professional and amateur reviews of the Macan I read/watched, not one of them complained about the Sat Nav (apart from PCM 3.0 being a bit clunky).
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The inbuilt satnav works well and with the live update of traffic the system works well.

If you connect up your iPhone you can also use Apple maps which also has a live traffic update function.

Hence you get the best of both worlds with two satnav systems, on the move you can shuttle between the two systems to check on road conditions.

Win, win.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Although, you can't have Nav running on both, as setting a destination and starting Nav in one cancels the other as far as I can recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

We use the sat NAV multiple times a week. Not neccesaraly to someone we are going on a long trip but some of the more local journeys which are in the middle of nowhere.
They have been very accurate and has worked flawlessly for us. We use live traffic also on PCM again works well.

Took a little while to get used to it but I use the PCM connect app a fair bit now and that's brilliant so I can plan and store where I want to go the day before and just click a button once in the car.
GTS 😀
happy days

Post by happy days »

I have TomTom Western Europe too and was bitterly disappointed to find that it doesn't work using carplay. It's one of the best apps out there. TBH, I find carplay a bit of a lame duck. The apps that I would like to see aren't there, and those that are are of little or no use to me.
Macan S D
718 S
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Thanks everyone - much appreciated!

The proof of the pudding will be to see how it works for me and in the meantime, let's hope Apple will permit TomTom to integrate with CarPlay.