Macan GTS - Which Fuel to use??

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAW

Post by SAW »

Exclusively Shell V-Power Nitro+ (98). I now know where the Shell stations are and make sure I journey past them when I am running low. I have even a few times filled up on the motorway to ensure Shell super goes in my GTS. If you are brand loyal and use their club card scheme you can offset much of the difference in fuel cost. Shell super gives you double points per litre over their standard fuel. Since picking up the car, it has been filled up numerous times in the 3k I have driven with no performance issues and kindly Shell send me cash back vouchers every 3 months which feels like free fuel (I know it isn't).
Macan GTS MAR17 http://www.porsche-code.com/PHKXZIH5

GuyW

Post by GuyW »

In theory, there are 3 main benefits of using the advanced fuels with the higher octane.

1. The higher octane should give slightly more performance - but I doubt many would notice that in normal driving. This will also result in less/no 'pinking' at high revs as the fuel/air mix is compressed at speed.
2. The fuel economy should be better, and the increased power should result in slightly lower revs before the transmission can change up.
3. The cleaning products in the fuel should help prevent deposits building up around the engine and especially the exhaust values.

Of these, the slightly better fuel consumption of about 2.5% should off set the extra expense, so the other 2 benefits are in effect for free.

I always use Shell V Power.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I find 'glide' helps too. 😳
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
microbe

Post by microbe »

I have always used Shell V power in my S but when I filled up today I did find myself wondering whether the extra 13p a litre is really worth it.

I am not convinced about the extra mpg and indeed I managed to get over 28mpg from a tank full of Morrisons petrol that I had to use on my 300mile trip home from Cornwall ( no Shell garages ). That cost me 111.9p per litre whereas the Shell cost me 129.9p today. A significant difference
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
steve w

Post by steve w »

Costco warehouse in my home city has recently opened a fuel station on their site ,I assume they must shop around for the best price when their tanks want replenishing as I've seen TEXACO tankers replenishing the tanks and also SHELL tankers replenishing the tanks,been in today and fuelled the wife's car up with 95 Ron unleaded 108.9 ppl and noticed the super unleaded 99 Ron at 115.9ppl,I've been paying upto 129.9ppl for the Shell VPower makes me wonder where to fuel the GTS up and if I'm having my leg lifted at Shell stations.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Stick with V Power Steve. It's the highest spec fuel you can buy in the U.K., has the most additives and cleaners and will be consistent quality wherever you buy it. It does give extra mileage so the extra cost is somewhat offset. Why risk cheap fuels in your own car, especially if you aren't doing mega miles.

And a tanker driver friend told me that tankers have compartments which will be filled with different spec fuels for different locations, so you can't tell from the name on the tanker what is actually being delivered. What you can be sure of though is that cheaper, supermarket fuels will have the least additives in because they are expensive.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Good enough for me, brand irrelevant, although mostly Shell V, £1.26/ltr here, 1.41/ltr near the channel tunnel, so cheaper in France. They give double points for V stuff and points mean prizes :D

IMG_3677.JPG

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Nice little read about fuel. It's all about the additives 😀
Not a long read and gets to the point very quickly and gives BP/Shell etc as examples.

https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/superm ... ded-fuels/
GTS 😀
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

MPG improving on Shell V perhaps.

fullsizeoutput_37cd.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Paul

Post by Paul »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 pm Nice little read about fuel. It's all about the additives 😀
Not a long read and gets to the point very quickly and gives BP/Shell etc as examples.

https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/superm ... ded-fuels/
It's a bit like saying the supermarket own brand beans / biscuits / cornflakes are "nearly" the same but with just a few less ingredients than the real thing......I know which I buy!😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465