Macan GTS - Which Fuel to use??

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I always use either Shell or BP Super in my Porsches for the best additives/performance and to be sure what is actually in there. I also use premium diesel in my daily hack because it keeps the injectors clean. I really cannot understand spending £50k+ on a high performance car (often with thousands of pounds worth of bling options too!) and then fretting over 10p a litre for premium fuel.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

+1.

Unfortunately we seem to have bred a very cynical culture in this country and many people believe they are being ripped off for no benefit. Nowadays many people would rather believe unsubstantiated random comments on the internet than established factual information.

But another factor is that the majority of drivers are only 'borrowing' cars for three years during which time they are covered by the warranty and don't care what happens afterwards.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 am +1.

Unfortunately we seem to have bred a very cynical culture in this country and many people believe they are being ripped off for no benefit. Nowadays many people would rather believe unsubstantiated random comments on the internet than established factual information.

But another factor is that the majority of drivers are only 'borrowing' cars for three years during which time they are covered by the warranty and don't care what happens afterwards.
+1
Exactly on the nail, Nick.

I am not sure if I am borrowing my Macan short term or if it is a keeper, but I do care what happens afterwards. To that extent my Turbo has been gently run in for well over the manual recommended period, it has had Shell Ultimate in the tank for all but two fill ups (OPC fill up and once where I had to put BPs best in the tank), it has been detailed, it is cleaned regularly, the inside is cleaned weekly, it will have its oil changed for the first time next month at an unscheduled service.

So all in all if I do sell far sooner than originally intended whoever buys my car will be getting a well looked after motor.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 am But another factor is that the majority of drivers are only 'borrowing' cars for three years during which time they are covered by the warranty and don't care what happens afterwards.
I think that's a good point. Some people are even changing their cars on a yearly basis or less. It's modern day unsustainable consumption at its very best, but I digress! But really, trivial fuel cost should be a non-issue for such drivers so I'm always surprised that it appears to be for many. If I was even looking in detail at my fuel costs I'd be seriously questioning my choice of car. For example if you look at diesel vs petrol fuel costs for a Macan over an average 12K miles per annum, the difference in cost is typically only around £600 (the cost of some minor pointless option!). Comparing Super vs standard petrol on the same car works out about £200 saving. Don't spend it all at once hey :lol:
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 am +1.

And as perhaps the majority are company cars in one form or another they are maximising the margin on their expenses.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
MartinRS2K

Post by MartinRS2K »

Thanks for al the replies :)

I will now inform the wife she needs to fill up with BP Ultimate on every fill when the car arrives (That will not impress her :lol: ). I would rather use Shell V power but the only Shell petrol station in Carlisle got hit by the floods of 2015 and has still not reopened :evil:
Macan GTS collected 28/10/17 - Carmine Red http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4B4758
991.2 GT3 Touring collected 24/03/18 - Carrara White Metallic http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9T3NA0
997.2 GT3RS 2010 - Carrara White with Riviera Blue Decals and Wheels (Only 7,000 miles from New)
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I use super unleaded if it's available, my local garage is Texaco so that's what it gets normally and yesterday it was only £1.21 a litre. If away from home I use whichever brand is most convenient, usually avoid BP as all their fuel seems expensive. Certainly can't tell the difference between the different brands of super unleaded, possibly more mpg on it compared with standard fuel, but as I don't do any repeat long journeys it's hard to be sure. Done 7000 miles so far, off to visit the Morgan factory for a tour tomorrow, so that's another 400 miles to be clocked up.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 am But another factor is that the majority of drivers are only 'borrowing' cars for three years during which time they are covered by the warranty and don't care what happens afterwards.

Not forgetting the OPCs who seem to fill up all Porsches with the nearest cheap fuel... :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I have been a loyal shell v-power customer since getting my macan. Went to fill up on Sunday and shock horror, my local (which was already a 10 min drive away) shell station has become a Texaco garage. I've had to swap to BP until I find another shell garage nearby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 pm off to visit the Morgan factory for a tour tomorrow, so that's another 400 miles to be clocked up.
That's a great tour. I've done it twice. Absolutely fascinating, you'll really enjoy it. And you have a rare nice day to watch the rolling chassis being pushed from one shed to another for the next set of bits to be bolted on!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA