What do you really think of Porsche?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

When I bought my Macan, I imagined that it would be better to drive than the competition and that it would be better in most respects - comfort, build quality, built in tech etc. Unfortunately this has not turned out to be the case. I still like it and don't want to change it - but it probably only meets the expectations in the some of these areas.

It is a pleasure to drive. It handles well, is smooth and comfortable. This is what I like most about it and why I will be keeping it. Build quality seems to be good as well.

Other things seem less good. DPF issues seem to be a nuisance. Tech is relatively poor (I don't notice this mcuh since my last car was 12 years old and it is way ahead of that) - I am glad that I am not coming from another newish car where the tech might have been better. mpg is less good than expected, but still good for a large car with good performance.

Overall, I am pleased with the car. The over-riding thing for me is the way it drives. The rest is less important. But if I was less bothered about the drive and the tech was important, or I was coming from a car with better tech, then maybe a Porsche would not be a good choice.

Discuss!

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Agreed: falls short of expectations in every way except handling.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I agree

SD
+ve
Comfortable, smooth ride, great handling, quality of build

-ve
Engine underpowered, not as economical as it should have been, Jukebox dire, tech limited (previous PCM), SatNav a mark one from 20 years ago, rear hatch leaks into boot if wet when opening the hatch, very sluggish engine and gearbox maps in comfort mode, DFP issues.

Turbo
+ve
Comfort, ride on air is better than SD on PASM, better handling than SD, awesome Turbo engine, SD car slots for audio, quality of build, mpg better than expected.

-ve
Engine sometimes does not feel like a V6 as it can idle a bit rough, tech is backward and bug ridden, SurCam blacks out (sensors work fine), limits on music tracks sucks, rear hatch leaks into boot if wet when opening the hatch.

The question for me would be ........ Would I buy another Porsche? Answer is probably a No.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Now about that first ever Porsche I have on order.... wonder if the new Stelvio will be a better bet....?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yeah, all in all Porsche are pretty rubbish really.......πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I hear ALL other brands have no issues in any areas πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Early days yet but I would say compared to the 2014 3er BMW I came out of the fit and finish of the cabin is about the same. The ride and refinement in the Porsche is streets ahead. The user interface in the Porsche is desperate. Having to take your eyes off the road for so many basic functions is really bad. Sport and Sport+ buttons should be somewhere easy to find. Nav is a nightmare, compared to the BMW. Fuel economy sucks.

But so far I love it!

My next car, if it's not another Macan, will probably be a fast estate. Much as I like the Macan I don't so much like being in an SUV.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Paul wrote: ↑Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 pm Yeah, all in all Porsche are pretty rubbish really.......πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I hear ALL other brands have no issues in any areas πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
The irony of comparing it to an Alfa as a potential better bet was clearly lost on you...
Marra

Post by Marra »

I'm now really confused. I have a Macan petrol S on order for Jan delivery hopefully. I joined this forum expecting to hear mostly positive views along with honest, negative views where deserved. However, there is so much negativity on this site I wonder if I have done the right thing.

I have aspired to a Porsche for a long time (never Ferrari or Lamborghini ) since childhood. I am at the entry level of Porsche ownership ( I don't have Β£70 - Β£90k) I've had 8 BMWs and thought the Macan was a good entry into the brand - am I wrong?
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

"am I wrong?"

Don't worry about it. It's horses for courses and some on this site would be arguing that a Dacia duster is a better bet. Then again, it has an engine, 4 wheels and gets you from a to b....... what's not to like about it?
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Marra

Post by Marra »

Thanks Rigger, I suppose everything is relative - my 1st car was a Triumph Herald 1360 and I thought I as the bees knees πŸ˜€