What do you really think of Porsche?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:42 pm
Retired wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am My point is that we don't need 'tech' for the sake of it, or to match other manufacturers. I'm all for good quality information provided to the driver in ways which do not distract but not in favour of following fashion when it doesn't improve the driving experience, or worse still detracts from it like large multiple touch screens do.
Is Porsche supposed to supply what 'we' want or should it deliver what the market wants and expects?
What the market wants and expects; an interesting statement.

I worked on a number of successful product launches some years ago that seriously bombed in consumer research. Their success was down to the bravery, vision and imagination of, perhaps, a single individual or a small team. Conversely VW blindly following market research for years and produced increasingly bland Golfs.

So does the market actually know what it wants?
Does the market know what they want, I think theydo.

They want the IT tech in their cars to be like their iPhone/iPad or Android device.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

John_M

Post by John_M »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am Does the market know what they want, I think theydo.

They want the IT tech in their cars to be like their iPhone/iPad or Android device.
So they can concentrate on texting and faceboook etc. no doubt rather than the task of driving.

Personally the last thing I want is the tech just like my Android device as it is almost impossible to operate without looking at it which is OK when sitting on sofa, less so driving car (I won't even mention the quality of some apps)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

John_M wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:16 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am Does the market know what they want, I think theydo.

So they can concentrate on texting and faceboook etc. no doubt rather than the task of driving.

Personally the last thing I want is the tech just like my Android device as it is almost impossible to operate without looking at it which is OK when sitting on sofa, less so driving car (I won't even mention the quality of some apps)
Totally agree.

The more Tech the more distractions.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Fortunately CarPlay limits what you can do whilst moving. Very much an eyes-free interface.

Android Auto less so, but still better than having to fiddle with the device manually.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Time for a survey, maybe.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Mostly I think of Porsche as a brand first. Heritage second. A business third. Only then does the car come in to it.
Customers love brands. Get that right and you can sell anything.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

goron59 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm Mostly I think of Porsche as a brand first. Heritage second. A business third. Only then does the car come in to it.
Except you still have to get the fundamentals right. Think Aston Martin: always a great brand; so often a business failure. Or Belstaff, bought as an icon of their type and failing by over confident and pretentious new owners. Or Mulberry who struggled after an ill-conceived plan to take them even more upmarket.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 pm
goron59 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm Mostly I think of Porsche as a brand first. Heritage second. A business third. Only then does the car come in to it.
Except you still have to get the fundamentals right. Think Aston Martin: always a great brand; so often a business failure. Or Belstaff, bought as an icon of their type and failing by over confident and pretentious new owners. Or Mulberry who struggled after an ill-conceived plan to take them even more upmarket.
Or JLR who think that they provide quality service.
Col
Macan Turbo
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 pm
Dandock wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 pm
Or JLR who think that they provide quality service.
And, of courses, Lotus.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50