Macan and Labrador

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 am I'm surprised that 1500ltrs of unsecured Labrador isn't viewed as a major safety issue...
:lol:

But seriously, it is. https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/driving-with-dogs/

"Suitable restraint" is a somewhat contentious issue, it seems.

In my experience, anything that can be projected forward to the front of the car is dangerous (dangerous driving, certainly driving without due care).

Many many years ago, I was a passenger in a car that had a collision with the car in front. There was an approx 3kg laptop on the rear parcel shelf. After the accident, it was found embedded in the rear window of the car in front. We were just glad that our heads weren't in its way!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All joking apart, unrestrained items in the car can cause serious injury to occupants in the event of a collision. I recall a Police Officer describing many years ago how he attended a collision where the driver had escaped serious injury in the crash but a cassette tape which was on the rear parcel shelf had shot forward and neatly removed one of his ears! Since then I've always shuddered at the thought when I see people carrying an umbrella on the parcel shelf........

Ideally a dog would be in a fixed cage or at least a harness and leash attached to a tie down point. That way the dog and the occupants are safer and the animal would also be prevented from running around if doors or hatchback are opened in a crash or by rescuers.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pete

Post by Pete »

In my case, "suitable restraint" is always having the dog in the hatchback where there's very little chance of it going anywhere except up against the rear seats. I've never seen the point of having a crate in the car and tethers are just asking for trouble (lead wraps around a dog's leg, you brake suddenly and you now have a dog with a broken leg).

Nope, dog goes in the boot, with a load of blankets for comfort. Anything else that has to go in there is secured or light enough not to cause damage.

When we have two dogs in the car, the smaller one goes in the passenger footwell.

We never put dogs on the parcel shelf (a bit difficult anyway, since it's in the loft).
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The problem with that is if your car submarines slightly in an impact, the dog will fly over the rear seats. Invariably fatal for the dog and it doesn't look too pretty for the passengers either.

But at least if you're dead you won't get prosecuted for it!
Pete

Post by Pete »

I'd hate to think what kind of an impact would cause a dog to rise from the floor and over the rear seats and head restraints.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:29 pm I'd hate to think what kind of an impact would cause a dog to rise from the floor and over the rear seats and head restraints.
Not much.
If the car rotated forward, it wouldn't need to rise as such. Plus a rotating moment would throw everything up in the air. 30mph is plenty for an unrestrained dog to be propelled forward and eventually decelerating to zero when it hits a solid object (windscreen, seat, your head).

If the dog was restrained, it would decelerate slower along with the car's crash structures.

This is fun: substitute "driver" for "dog" and you get a feel for the forces involved.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... 2.html#cc1
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

It is a horrible thought though.
I suppose that could happen on a motorway at higher speeds and people not looking ahead far enough. :(
But I will not be rejecting my Macan for being unsafe, just might invest in a net hung from the roof using the built in hinges. :lol:

Edit: just read Goron's latest post with the mathematical explanation. :|
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Sorry for the gloomy/gruesome overtones :( But you wouldn't let your child roam freely in the boot, so don't do it with a dog.
Pete

Post by Pete »

goron59 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 pm Not much.
If the car rotated forward, it wouldn't need to rise as such. Plus a rotating moment would throw everything up in the air. 30mph is plenty for an unrestrained dog to be propelled forward and eventually decelerating to zero when it hits a solid object (windscreen, seat, your head).

If the dog was restrained, it would decelerate slower along with the car's crash structures.

This is fun: substitute "driver" for "dog" and you get a feel for the forces involved.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... 2.html#cc1
Yes, it would need to rise. The centre of gravity will need to be above the rear seat rests in order to be ejected forwards. As demonstrated in your link, the deceleration forces are entirely horizontal - any uplift of the rear would only happen after that initial deceleration. The dog would then be firmly pressed against the backs of the rear seats.

So, up until the point at which my throat is slit with my dog's decapitated head, I'll be putting the dog in the back, the same as I always have done.

But in any case, I do have a Trav-All dog guard above the rear seats, so the most that'll be ejected forwards is two-inch square dog-chips....
Pete

Post by Pete »

Obviously, children in my boot are caged. For their own safety.