Macan Service Cayenne Loaner

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DNR17

Post by DNR17 »

Hi All

Nearly two years in and my Macan SD requested its first proper service. Booked her in, "£520 for an oil change"! I nearly fell off my seat. Having said that it's the only money she will need spending on her in three years apart from add blue, so not too bad really.

Porsche Aberdeen kindly provided me with a Cayenne SD V8. To say I was underwhelmed with the driving experience is an understatement! Looks naff too!

I didn't go out of town with it, but found the ride firmer, the most notable difference being the steering, car felt much heavier although steering lighter on the move, heavier at low speed 'parking'. I have power steering plus, if this is the reason, I'm glad I chose this option. I could feel every surface change, crack and stone on the road with a constant jiggle through the steering wheel that I just don't get from the Macan. Could be because it was on 21"s I'm on 20"s. If that's the reason, once again thank goodness I chose 20"s as this would irritate me.

The engine was gruff and again I could feel it through the steering, compared to the smooth six pot of the Macan. Didn't feel any quicker. Generally I got the feeling I was driving a 5yr old car compared to my Macan, in fact it was brand new!

Apart from the obvious, more space, bigger boot etc, the only thing this Cayenne did better was the noise it made when I thrashed it, sounded like a proper V8.

I know this car is being replaced very soon, not a minute too soon IMO.

Just made me appreciate my Macan even more...
Diesel S ordered September 2014, delivery schedualled September 2015.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGVHIJ59

Retired

Post by Retired »

I had a Cayenne for a few months while waiting for my delayed Turbo.

Agree with much of what you say, but not the performance bit.

The V8 cayenne is 0.9 sec quicker to 100kph, 3.8 to 160kph and 0.9 quicker from 80 to 120 than a Macan SD.

These are substantial differences which should be readily noticeable from behind the wheel. Sure it was a V8 and not a V6?
VanB

Post by VanB »

I test drove the V8 SD Cayenne when it came out and it was mightily impressive both in performance and sound. Having driven a Macan SD there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between the 2 vehicles so I doubt you had a V8 if you think they perform similarly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
DNR17

Post by DNR17 »

Yeah it was deffinatly a V8 sound.

If honest I didn't realise there was a DV8 in the Cayenne until I drove this one, its never been on my radar, but realised quickly it was, then checked the average fuel consumption and it was showing 29mpg so that confirmed to me it was diesel, oh and the gruffness which I'm sure the petrol version isn't.

Like I said, I was mainly in town and just squirted it for a few seconds occasionally, not a true reflection on performance, but did make a nice noise when revved.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Your SD is the same age as mine. Are you having the 'Re-program DME control unit - campaign number WG22' mod completed, as discussed in the DPF thread?
DNR17

Post by DNR17 »

Guy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:20 pm Your SD is the same age as mine. Are you having the 'Re-program DME control unit - campaign number WG22' mod completed, as discussed in the DPF thread?
Is this the emissions correction? I didn't ask for it, nor would I want it. It did cross my mind they might have done it without notifying me, but drives just the same, so maybe not or its ok.
Guy

Post by Guy »

DNR17 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:26 pm
Guy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:20 pm Your SD is the same age as mine. Are you having the 'Re-program DME control unit - campaign number WG22' mod completed, as discussed in the DPF thread?
Is this the emissions correction? I didn't ask for it, nor would I want it. It did cross my mind they might have done it without notifying me, but drives just the same, so maybe not or its ok.
Yes that's the one. I spoke to Porsche West London earlier today and they said it's optional. That's not to say they won't install it anyway without asking! Mine is being serviced here on 29 Aug and I will be asking NOT to have the update.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I suspect they will have done it regardless; service actions are a franchise standard.
I think you would need to specifically request it not be carried out, and as per one of Mark-yorkshire's earlier posts, they can't revert to the original settings afterwards☹️
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
DNR17

Post by DNR17 »

Paul wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:31 pm

I suspect they will have done it regardless; service actions are a franchise standard.
I think you would need to specifically request it not be carried out, and as per one of Mark-yorkshire's earlier posts, they can't revert to the original settings afterwards☹️
That will serve me for not keeping up to date on here! But like I say, it seems ok and I've done a couple of hundred miles in it since yesterday, haven't noticed anything different, that said I apparently cant tell the difference between V6 and V8 :lol: . Thought they might have mentioned it though :x
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

DNR17 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 pm Hi All

Porsche Aberdeen kindly provided me with a Cayenne SD V8. To say I was underwhelmed with the driving experience is an understatement! Looks naff too!

I didn't go out of town with it, but found the ride firmer, the most notable difference being the steering, car felt much heavier although steering lighter on the move, heavier at low speed 'parking'. I have power steering plus, if this is the reason, I'm glad I chose this option. I could feel every surface change, crack and stone on the road with a constant jiggle through the steering wheel that I just don't get from the Macan. Could be because it was on 21"s I'm on 20"s. If that's the reason, once again thank goodness I chose 20"s as this would irritate me.

The engine was gruff and again I could feel it through the steering, compared to the smooth six pot of the Macan. Didn't feel any quicker. Generally I got the feeling I was driving a 5yr old car compared to my Macan, in fact it was brand new!

Apart from the obvious, more space, bigger boot etc, the only thing this Cayenne did better was the noise it made when I thrashed it, sounded like a proper V8.

I know this car is being replaced very soon, not a minute too soon IMO.

Just made me appreciate my Macan even more...
The 3.0D V6 engine is no longer available in UK Cayennes. Your loaner must have been a (Audi) V8 deezel.
21" wheels with rubber band tyres and steel springs could be the reason for the poor ride. My petrol S Cayennes with 18" wheels, air and PS+ is the most comfortable and refined car I have owned. I will not be replacing it with the new inflated Macan lookalike Cayenne.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S