back to the Macan fold.. sort of

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Hi,
Not that I was ever a prolific forum poster in the past, but I was logged on most days.. I just wanted to get reacquainted with the Macan forum again.
I sold my Macan S pertol back in November 2015 and then took delivery of a new Cayenne S Diesel. Both were excellent cars in their own ways, the latter having that bonkers 4.2 V8 diesel engine, but annoyingly, coupled to a woefully slow transmission. Apart from that it was absolutely brilliant, but as my wife now has an X5 40d, I no longer need an SUV..
I therefore saw my chance and recently placed an order for a 991.2 C2 which is due to appear in the first quarter of next year. I dropped the Cayenne off today and I now have a sapphire blue Macan S Diesel courtesy car until Friday.. only to return to collect another.. but new.. Sapphire blue Macan S diesel which will (on paper) be mine until the 911 arrives..
Drove back down from Glasgow OPC and I have to say I loved the drive. Never having driven the S diesel before, I have to say it's really impressive. It's fairly bog standard except for 21" Turbo wheels, Pano roof, but other than that it's standard inside and out.
I remember all the threads on suspension vs. wheel size etc. and this has standard suspension, no pasm, and it felt great, even on 21". Maybe it's because I just came out of a Cayenne, I'm not sure, but I had forgotten how good a Macan is to drive. Apart from me giving you my recent car history there really is no other point to this thread other than it's nice to be back in a Macan, even if it's only temporary, and nice to return to the forum again. Only wish we hadn't traded my wife's BMW 330D in for an X5..

Cowan
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Seems simple, dump the X5 when the 911 arrives and get the wife a Macan! Facelift seems imminent so the timing would be good.
happy days

Post by happy days »

+1
Macan S D
718 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

How does the Macan compare with the X5?

Great news re the 911 :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome back, Scott. Good to hear you enjoying a Macan again.

Exciting to hear of your incoming 991.2 C2.

Care to share the spec you've ordered...? :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 am How does the Macan compare with the X5?

Great news re the 911 :D
Hi ScotMac,

X5 is not on the same page handling wise, although I still like driving it and you can still show it a few corners. Wet driving conditions are where the X5 falls down to an extent. It is incredibly wayward on roads with standing water. No surprise with 315 width tyres on the rear I suppose. The macan, and the Cayenne on the other hand feel far more talented (for want of a better description) than the X5 and more reassuring when pressing on, but the Macan felt so agile yesterday after having been in both an X5 and a Cayenne for 9 months. The thing I like about the X5 is the power delivery (although not as quick as the Cayenne) but it's the 8 speed zf box which really impresses me and never seems to get caught out unlike that in the Cayenne. The X5 is our family car and workhorse which the Macan could never be, it's just too small for our needs. I can't really compare them.

Yep, can't wait to get my hands on the 911. Drove a manual graphite blue Carrera S (rear wheel drive) yesterday in the rain on some back roads and I'm glad I didn't go for the C4.. the grip available was plenty for me even in those conditions.

Cowan
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 pm Welcome back, Scott. Good to hear you enjoying a Macan again.

Exciting to hear of your incoming 991.2 C2.

Care to share the spec you've ordered...? :D
Hi WingCo,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Still enjoying the Panamera? Silly question perhaps :) She looks stunning

The spec I have put down so far is as follows.. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJT5JJB3

Haven't gone for PSE.. simple fact.. I don't like the look of it. That guy who does a vlog on youtube on his 911 (Nick Murray) does have a point, the sports exhaust makes the rear appear narrower than the stock exhaust tips and it would also appear that the noise inside isn't that much different. The oval pipes of the base model also look rather good. What the car will look like (except for the interior) is best represented in this link http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-we-spe ... rsche-911/

cheers,

Cowan
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

MCDK wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 am Seems simple, dump the X5 when the 911 arrives and get the wife a Macan! Facelift seems imminent so the timing would be good.
What I really regret is selling my 63 plate Defender 110.. which was used for towing. If we'd kept that we wouldn't have had to trade in the 3 series for an X5. It looks like I've contradicted myself in another reply re: X5, which is a good car and does everything we need it to do.. I just wish it drove a bit more like a Macan is what I thought to myself on the way back from the OPC yesterday.
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Scott Cowan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm Hi WingCo,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Still enjoying the Panamera? Silly question perhaps :) She looks stunning

The spec I have put down so far is as follows.. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJT5JJB3

Haven't gone for PSE.. simple fact.. I don't like the look of it. That guy who does a vlog on youtube on his 911 (Nick Murray) does have a point, the sports exhaust makes the rear appear narrower than the stock exhaust tips and it would also appear that the noise inside isn't that much different. The oval pipes of the base model also look rather good. What the car will look like (except for the interior) is best represented in this link http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-we-spe ... rsche-911/

cheers,

Cowan
Hi Cowan.

Yes, loving the Panamera, thanks! Had it for 5 months now and already done nearly 8,000 miles! A supreme mile muncher, and a surprisingly sporty drive when conditions allow :twisted:

That is a classy looking 991.2 C2 spec you have there and I like the article in your link to caranddriver.

Good to see a manual! :) If it was me, I think I'd opt for sports tailpipes, and I wish I could have ordered them on my Panamera. The Agate Grey looks elegant, yet sporty. And it will be a great ride on the 19" wheels.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
wilko

Post by wilko »

hi Cowan
Nice looking base spec 911. Almost certainly the sweet spot.
I'd ditch the rear wiper though. I had one on my 997.2, and never used it, then didn't on my 991.1 and never needed it.
The back window is so flat, that water runs off it as soon as you move, especially if you use a window treatment.
I'm not sure I'd bother with ps plus either. My wife (tiny) never had any problem manoeuvring mine.

Oh and if you're after some wheels for the winter, I know a man who has a set.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R