Broken windscreen

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Any update on the replacement screen order backlog? Last comment seems to have been around 3 months unless "emergency" repair.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16

Pauline Rodger

Post by Pauline Rodger »

Wow interested to see similar repeated windscreen problems. I had a cracked windscreen in June and now have a second massive chip out my windscreen this month. Been driving 30 years and never suffered a cracked windscreen and now it's happened twice in 5 months. Same roads - same driver. Coincidence? Churchill initially insisted both times that I drive 30 miles and wait for 3 hours in an Industrial Estate in Glasgow for 3 hours at Autoglass where I have quite categorically been told "There's no waiting room." They agreed first time to let me use Porsche in Glasgow and only after a struggle have they agreed to let me use them again. If my windscreen cracks again I fear that they will refuse to accommodate me. What is going on? Interested to hear if there is a design fault or of any more similar stories.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Probably more a reflection on the standard of upkeep (or lack thereof) by most councils accross the country, coupled with more and more cars per mile of road, than a design fault. Big chips (leading to cracks) can only be caused by impact.
Autoglass (and others) can come out to your place of work / home for chip repairs to avoid travelling to the dealership.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Pauline, sorry to hear of your windscreen woes. Autoglass in Glasgow has a waiting room, a television and as much tea or coffee as you can drink.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
blackorgrey

Post by blackorgrey »

So mine went again today. 70mph on the M25 in light traffic with nothing in the lane in front of me.

That is 3 cracked screens plus one chip repair in 17 months and 16k miles.

Over 20 years driving the same roads in other cars and never a windscreen repair or replacement. Once is unlucky, twice is very unlucky but 4 times?

On average I’m going through a windscreen every 4K miles which is not sustainable and frankly I don’t consider it fit for purpose!

Admiral will install Porsche screen and refund the cost of OPC doing the camera recalibration. Interestingly they are now saying that they will not fit a Porsche screen when the car reaches 3 years old!

There must be a reason why the windscreens are so fragile. Autoglass fitter reckons the Porsche screens are very thin compared with other manufacturers and showed me a Mercedes screen which was much thicker glass.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Is something flexing that is twisting the glass and causing cracks?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
blackorgrey

Post by blackorgrey »

It was definitely a stone chip. I’ve had similar in other cars but they seem to be more damaging in the Macan.

Today’s was the standard star chip but had grown to 2 feet across the screen after a few hours parked in the cold.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

blackorgrey wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:44 pm So mine went again today. 70mph on the M25 in light traffic with nothing in the lane in front of me.

That is 3 cracked screens plus one chip repair in 17 months and 16k miles.

Over 20 years driving the same roads in other cars and never a windscreen repair or replacement. Once is unlucky, twice is very unlucky but 4 times?

On average I’m going through a windscreen every 4K miles which is not sustainable and frankly I don’t consider it fit for purpose!

Admiral will install Porsche screen and refund the cost of OPC doing the camera recalibration. Interestingly they are now saying that they will not fit a Porsche screen when the car reaches 3 years old!

There must be a reason why the windscreens are so fragile. Autoglass fitter reckons the Porsche screens are very thin compared with other manufacturers and showed me a Mercedes screen which was much thicker glass.
:o Shock, horror. :shock:

Four !! Not sure what is going on there.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

blackorgrey- might be worth contacting Porsche GB if you haven't already done so, given your 'not fit for purpose' comment. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

The reason the screens crack is because stones hit them! Nothing to do with fit for purpose....

Annecdotally from owners of other franchised business, screen chips are being reported more frequent nowadays right accross the board.

Probably a combination of cr@ppy roads in a poor state of repair, more cars on the road to fling stones around, higher speeds, aerodynamics, cars being higher up (SUVs) chips occurring at sub zero temps.... .who knows?

I’ ve had a (car) showroom window cracked by a stone flung accross the road by a passing truck.......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465