It may be right but does it sound pretentious?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Pete

Re: It may be right but does it sound pretentious?

Post by Pete » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am

My local OPC pronounces 'Porsche' without the 'e' and 'Macan' with only the two 'a's.

Personally, I think it's ok to go with the local version of the pronunciation, saying it the German way does sound pretty pretentious.

I mean, we don't say we're spending the weekend in 'Paree', do we? (Well, unless it's going to 'Gay Paree' , but I don't go there).

Peteski

Post by Peteski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 am

Even though it may be technically correct, pronouncing the "e" makes you sound like a cock in most UK social situations, so I don't do it! Luckily you can avoid the "P" word entirely in most situations, or at least you can with a 911!

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 am

Peteski wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 am
Even though it may be technically correct, pronouncing the "e" makes you sound like a cock in most UK social situations, so I don't do it! Luckily you can avoid the "P" word entirely in most situations, or at least you can with a 911!
If anone askswhat I drive I usually give a disinterested look and say ...oh, just an SUV..... that is usually enough.
Col
Macan Turbo, Met Blk, Spyders, Air, ACC, Pano, Garnet, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, heated seats and steering, PS+, SC, plus a few other goodies.
Prior Macan SD similar spec to Turbo

Peteski

Post by Peteski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

I can't remember the last time anyone asked what I drive. Although I don't go to cocktail parties or business networking events :lol:

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Living in London and travelling to work by public transport, I would have no idea what car most of my colleagues drive. It's not really something people discuss and many don't have a car at all. When I lived out of London where your car was parked on your drive and you went everywhere in it, it seemed to matter much more to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95.

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 am

My view, for what it's worth, is that you should pronounce the name as it was given. After all, most people would expect their own name to be pronounced properly.

In saying that, I am currently up to 19 pictures of Starbucks coffee cups where they have given me a completely different name to that provided :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHQHNH92

Dandock

Post by Dandock » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm
Living in London and travelling to work by public transport, I would have no idea what car most of my colleagues drive. It's not really something people discuss and many don't have a car at all. When I lived out of London where your car was parked on your drive and you went everywhere in it, it seemed to matter much more to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

We bumped into some ex-neighbours at the weekend - not people we especially like - but inevitably went through all the usual pleasantries. During this exchange was 'so-and-so told us you've got a nice new car'. 😈😈😈😈
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Peteski

Post by Peteski » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Bazza06 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 am
My view, for what it's worth, is that you should pronounce the name as it was given. After all, most people would expect their own name to be pronounced properly.
I admire the sentiment, but in this case I prefer to pronounce it incorrectly to avoid sounding like a cock.

Dandock

Post by Dandock » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Peteski wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm
Bazza06 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 am
I admire the sentiment, but in this case I prefer to pronounce it incorrectly to avoid sounding like a cock.
Would that be a German cock or an Anglo-Saxon one? :roll:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

VanB

Post by VanB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm

I think Porsche is generally and widely pronounced porsh here in the U.K. And I tend to go with that unless at an OPC or talking to an enthusiast. Using the correct pronunciation risks making you sound like a total cock!
MY 2017 Macan GTS, Night Blue, Black Spyders, AS, SC, Bose, Nav, Connect +, LED PDLS+ etc.

Return to “Main Porsche Macan Chat”