Mystery bump - any ideas?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PJS

Post by PJS »

So we noticed this yesterday. A hint of blue paint on a broken lens (reversing light still works) but of more concern is the dent to the exhaust that appears to have knocked the pipe back half an inch. Cant understand how it can get hit but not mark the bumper. Any ideas? Neither me nor the wife have any recollection of being hit, nudged or leaving it in a dodgy car parking space over the last few days.

Macan exhaust.JPG

Macan light.JPG

davewf

Post by davewf »

Could have been a tow bar
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

People are such ******** :x

Towbar sounds a good bet.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Interesting to know the repair cost. If not using insurance, I'd be tempted to find the parts and fit myself. Probably get both 'used' for < £100.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-ORIG-Pors ... Sw-EBZsBZF
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

A tow bar wouldn't leave blue paint. That suggests that it has been hit by someone else's blue bumper. Presumably the shape of it managed to damage your light and exhaust pipe but not the bumper. I suspect that will "save" a lot of money as the bumper is probably a stupid price but the other bits maybe less so. Is the exhaust just a removeable bit that can be taken off and straightened?
PJS

Post by PJS »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm A tow bar wouldn't leave blue paint. That suggests that it has been hit by someone else's blue bumper. Presumably the shape of it managed to damage your light and exhaust pipe but not the bumper. I suspect that will "save" a lot of money as the bumper is probably a stupid price but the other bits maybe less so. Is the exhaust just a removeable bit that can be taken off and straightened?
Maybe a blue car with towbar...I think a trip to the parts desk and ebay might be a good shout. The exhaust looks like a removable tip but its been nudged back about half an inch on closer inspection. Replacing that lens looks like a bumper off job though - no obvious way to see how its fitted. Want to avoid an insurance claim for sure
PJS

Post by PJS »

Guy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:52 pm Interesting to know the repair cost. If not using insurance, I'd be tempted to find the parts and fit myself. Probably get both 'used' for < £100.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-ORIG-Pors ... Sw-EBZsBZF
Agreed, thank you for the link
jk88

Post by jk88 »

It may not have been a towbar, may well have been bumber to bumper, with a hard point behind the other car's bumper causing the exhaust damage. The Macan bumper is quite flexible, hence the lack of obvious damage and just the broken lens. The small scuff on the black plastic trim suggests a flatter contact area.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ouch, that's a pain! I hate b******s who do this!
Macan S D
718 S
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi PJS, is yours a diesel or petrol S? I have a SD and replaced my exhaust after a month of ownership to a sports exhaust. I have the old 'back boxes' (if that's the right terminology!?) and haven't yet decided what to do with them, but may be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.