Questions from a new GTS owner

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
EvenDave

Post by EvenDave »

Hi,

I picked up my car yesterday and I’ve had a lot of fun setting it up and driving it around. I’ve got a couple of questions though that I can’t find answers for in the manual and I bet you guys can help.

The first is about the Porsche Connect apps. I can see that I have 24 months subscription to lots of them. Some are there but others are missing including Google Earth and Streetview and Gracenote. Should they be on the apps screen? Does it take time (days) for these to be installed? Do I need to do anything to make it happen?

The second area is not a problem as such, more an interest. I have Adaptive Cruise Control which I’ve enjoyed trying out on the motorway this afternoon. So my question is: when ACC applies the brakes, especially when decelerating quickly, do the brake lights also come on? I’m wondering if the car behind me actually know I’m essentially braking hard?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dave

EvenDave

Post by EvenDave »

OK, so I’ve answered my own questions about the apps I think. It seems the Google and Gracenotes apps are not stand-alone but embedded in other things such as Nav and music. So that’s OK. Except it appears that Gracenote does its job if I connect my iPhone as an iPod but not if I connect it using Car Play. Is that right? It seems another “feature” of Car Play that doesn’t quite work with Porsche Connect. So now I’m wondering how many people use Car Play? Is it as useful as I thought it was going to be?
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Never mind all that car play stuff - where are the photos ?? :D
goron59

Post by goron59 »

CarPlay is your phone doing the work and has little connection to the Porsche services. There is a lot of overlap. You can use both together, eg pcm nav + Spotify via CarPlay... or Apple nav with pcm dab radio.

Which you use is down to preference, but Apple maps live traffic and routing is better than pcm in my experience. Siri voice control is head and shoulders above pcm.

On the other hand pcm nav gives you two screens and satellite views and street view.

-

Brake lights come on when the brakes are applied. Manually or via ACC
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
EvenDave

Post by EvenDave »

goron59 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm CarPlay is your phone doing the work and has little connection to the Porsche services. There is a lot of overlap. You can use both together, eg pcm nav + Spotify via CarPlay... or Apple nav with pcm dab radio.

Which you use is down to preference, but Apple maps live traffic and routing is better than pcm in my experience. Siri voice control is head and shoulders above pcm.

On the other hand pcm nav gives you two screens and satellite views and street view.

-

Brake lights come on when the brakes are applied. Manually or via ACC
Thanks Goron, useful feedback.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I concur with Goron and I live 250 miles further north.

I tested both traffic reporting and the Apple Maps was definately better here in the Norh West.

If you have not received it yet then you should expect a log in email from Porsche and their online My Porsche website where you can configure what it is you want.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I really like CarPlay. I use Apple Maps more than the PCM Nav and use CarPlay for music on my phone & Amazon music. I also use it for podcasts and audiobooks when fed up listening to music on long journeys. I definitely could have done without speccing the built in Nav, but everyone tells you it’s essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I’ve never had CarPlay. Looking forward to working that. Might have an iPhone X by then. Who am I kidding? “Might”
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

This review of Porsche Connect (written by me!) might help: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5583
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
EvenDave

Post by EvenDave »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:57 pm This review of Porsche Connect (written by me!) might help: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5583
Thanks Charles, helpful indeed. I’m all setup correctly and everything seems to be doing what it should. Yesterday I discovered Sat Nav overlaid on Google Earth. Now that’s cool, especially when you live in the countryside as I do.