Your Macan is Crap

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hear, hear, Marra.

I have tried a Scirocco forum, Rennlist, PCGB and this one. In my view, this forum is the friendliest, warmest and most chatty. It has definitely enhanced my own Porsche buying & owning experience, even when I sold my Macan and moved on to my 911 and now the Panamera.

I have met other members, three times now - Lincoln, Cheshire and Beaulieu.

Long live this forum and thank you, including the more opinionated members! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:17 am
Sidscott wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 pm As an SD owner this forum has made me feel as if I’m bottom of the food chain at times but generally the chat is positive and informative and occasionally quite humorous! 👍
No, no, no.

There is no such thing as a bad Macan, well thats not true there is only a Macan that could be better but that has nothing to do with the SD engine.

The SD is a very good Macan, in fact had the showroom car which I bought had all the goodies I wanted I to would be bottom of the food chain with you, yes I am critical of the way the SD delivers its power but that could have been solved by me with the fitting of a TDi piggy back chip, which is what I would have done had the showroom SD been configured correctly for me (only bought itbto cut the wait time from 10 to 4 months).

Given the state of the VAG with diesels and their apparent lack of effort to resolve them especially the DPF problem I would currently suggest to all members considering buying one to look at an S or GTS. I would also point out the DPF issues a significant number of members here have experienced and the fact that my SD mpg was only an actual 33mpg so if they do choose the SD their eyes are open to potential problems.

Thinking about it and knowing that the journey profiles that I, do my rating of Macan engines is:-
Turbo PP
Turbo
SD
S
Base.

There is nothing bottom of the league about that and shows that I would rather have an SD than an S.
But you insulted SD owners by calling it a “plodder” and it is not.
It doesn’t need a tuning chip because it has sport mode and mine, as many others on here may also have,has sport plus.. in my mind Just as good!

By the way you missed out the GTS in your “league table” of Macans.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The SD is a plodder, the only way for it not to be a plodder is to add more bhp to it.

That said I still would rather have an SD than a base or an S, the low end torque makes it great at low speeds.

Never driven a GTS so its not on my radar.

If anyone has not driven any other Macan variant than an SD you cannot really compare though experience.

Spare a thought for the base owners, that is a shopping trolley, no other way to describe it a Beamer 118 can out drag it, a Passat Blumotion accelerated away with ease from 50 to 70 when I drove a base Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

I test drove a GTS and although it was a little quicker at top end I didn’t think the engine suited the Macan.
Personal opinion of course because I could have afforded to buy one and even a Turbo PP or 911 for cash if I wanted one but I chose the SD because I liked the way it delivered the power and it suits me at the moment.
I might well buy a 911 next and it will be a GTS if I do because it is a sports car... not an SUV!
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Possibly some of members on here have never driven a "normal average car". If your previous cars were RS4's, M5's and AMG merc's then perhaps a 200+ hp car comes across as being sluggish. "At 45mph in 7th gear I put my foot down and nothing much happened" .......really !! do you understand what the gearbox is for ??? :? :? :?
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Exactly, flip the left paddle at any speed and the SD has enough power and acceleration to get by anything on our roads... Sounds like Col may have wasted money on a Turbo and realised it..a “plodder” the SD is NOT
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Never driven a GTS so its not on my radar

But you are always advising members to purchase one over the SD and according to you the GTS is the “sweet spot” of the Macan range. :?:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Having had both an SD and a GTS I can say that in my opinion the SD is certainly not a plodder. It will do 60 mph in 6 and a bit seconds and I never had the space or the inclination to investigate its' top speed. The only " plateau" (to keep on topic!) I ever found was during a French toll booth drag race where, yes, into 3 figures mph it stopped pulling as strongly.....if these sort of speeds are important to you on UK roads then frankly you should have your licence revoked. I found 35 mpg perfectly acceptable for a 2 tonne performance vehicle.
My current GTS is quicker in absolute terms (a fairly obvious comment) and more involving to drive with higher rev gear changes and a sharper chassis. The contrasting 25 mpg is the penalty for the petrol engine fun but is still acceptable to me for a big, quick car.
I've not driven a base Macan but respect those who made that particular choice and I'm confident they are pleased with their car.
We probably loose sight of the fact that the vast majority of the cars on the road today sit well beneath a Macan in terms of handling, power, performance and price!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:22 am The SD is a plodder, the only way for it not to be a plodder is to add more bhp to it.

That said I still would rather have an SD than a base or an S, the low end torque makes it great at low speeds.

Never driven a GTS so its not on my radar.

If anyone has not driven any other Macan variant than an SD you cannot really compare though experience.

Spare a thought for the base owners, that is a shopping trolley, no other way to describe it a Beamer 118 can out drag it, a Passat Blumotion accelerated away with ease from 50 to 70 when I drove a base Macan.
I think somebody has hit the Sunday after dinner sherry a little early !!
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I have found this forum most helpful and informative and it is a great example of what social media can provide. My choice of spec was greatly enhanced by the information given albeit at a hit to my wallet :D. Clearly, there are some for whom this forum is a significant part of their life and good luck to them, but I suspect the majority dip in and out as time permits - yep there is more to life than a car😜. As for any Macan being crap, well opinions are like xxxxholes everyone has one but you don’t necessarily want to see or hear them. I make my own, informed, choices and am grateful for all views and opinions I see and hear, some of which I accept and many more I ignore. Anyone who spends too much time on a social media site is usually a pretty sad individual who lives live through an avatar and ater ego- how is that for provocative 😂😂😂