S vs SD - unscientific comparison

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

After 10,000 miles I couldn't be more pleased with my S. Just been back to OPC for first time since purchase, to investigate very gradual pressure loss from rear tyre. Turned out to be a large nail buried in tread, not repairable. A replacement tyre wasn't immediately available, so I had a loan SD for 3 days. I originally deliberated for some time when deciding whether to go petrol or diesel, having previously driven and liked big diesel Mercs for nearly 20 years, but my experience with the loan car has reinforced my conviction that I made the right choice, emission control system concerns notwithstanding. The steering on my car (without PS+) is very noticeable lighter than on the SD, and the cabin is a lot quieter - engine noise and tyre noise in the SD were definitely more apparent. The SD had fancy 21 inch wheels, air and PASM. My S on steel has 18 inch with all seasons, no PASM. The SD on comfort setting rode just very slightly more softly on poor road surfaces, but my S feels more planted and more nimble. The SD returned nearly 45mpg, which would be nice to have instead of just over 30mpg from my S, but overall I was delighted to be back in my own car.

johnd

Post by johnd »

So the 21" wheels/tyres (without PS+) had stiffer steering and generated significantly more tyre noise? Is that too much of a surprise? Could it have been that the wheel size accounted for most of the differences you noticed - other than engine noise, where the SD is probably going to sound a little more raucous to most ears?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Wheel size was certainly a factor. Air suspension was another. The SD felt heavier in the nose - presumably the diesel engine is heavier - and probably together with the air suspension made the car feel less planted and less nimble. Engine noise difference was marked.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are happy with your choice.

The wheel size, and PASM make a tremendous difference to the ride and handling.

My experience is that no PASM, no PS+ and 21” wheels gives a dire ride and poor handling and its a conbo that I would strongly suggest potential buyers avoid.

It remains important that any buyer test drives a Macan as close to their final spec with respect to wheel size, suspension setup and seating to ensure you are happy with your choices.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

I owned an SD for four months but it sadly had to be returned (that's another story). I am currently running about in a 2.0 petrol which has been loaned to me by the OPC until my petrol S arrives in early December. Yesterday, the OPC loaned me a petrol S for the day to wet my appetite so to say. All i can say is wow !! From initial start up you get that very significant growl (akin to a 911 in my opinion) and then the whole experience begins. The particular model i had was on 21" wheels opposed to the 20" i had on my SD, you could tell a difference in road noise and stiffer ride, although i did like it, added to the sports car feel. The performance, jeez, this is on another level, at 50mph on the motorway, press that sports button, and not only does it roar at you when you press the pedal fully down, it feels like something is pushing into the back of you at every gear change, the power is incredible. Needless to say i was massively impressed and can't wait to take delivery of mine !!
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Don't forget that the 20 and 21in wheels are wider as well as lower profile than your 18in ones. This will also affect the feel and weight of the steering.
John_M

Post by John_M »

rydercowan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm Wheel size was certainly a factor. Air suspension was another. The SD felt heavier in the nose - presumably the diesel engine is heavier - and probably together with the air suspension made the car feel less planted and less nimble. Engine noise difference was marked.
SD is 15 kg heavier than S according to Porsche brochure/Parkers - I suspect most of the difference in feel will have come down to different wheel/tyres sizes.

I have an SD running on standard 18s & all weather tyres - it generally feels pretty light on front.