Stone Chips - Boo Hoo

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Woe is me. Each time I brush off what I think is a spec of dust I find it's another stone chip :cry:

I've even got one on the drivers door sill! How is that possible when it isn't exposed to the road when driving??

Too late now but if I was to get another Macan I'd look seriously at getting the front end wrapped.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I did my front, sills and lower doors for this reason. One year down the line and it's still perfect.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

MCDK wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:12 am I did my front, sills and lower doors for this reason. One year down the line and it's still perfect.
How do you find it when washing the vehicle? Can you still apply wax etc?
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

It actually makes washing easier. I was worried that flies on the front could be harder to shift but actually wash off easier. Yes can polish and wax on top of it no problem.
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

I have a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, anyone used Chips Away and if so what was the result.
Thanks for any replies.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Hi I have used chips away and did not rate them. Came across a company called shine ... outstanding work done... I believe Auto express uses them to repair their long term term cars they review.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Shine is used by Colchester / East London and Cambridge OPC.
OPS sell a service at ยฃ399 for 3 years cover which is pretty reasonable.

Not sure if this can be taken out only when the car is purchased....

I used chips away around 4 years ago for a scratch / dent and it was perfect but they are a franchise so only as good as the individual.
GTS ๐Ÿ˜€
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

Hi
Thanks for replies.
Unfortunately Shine does not operate in this part of the country.
Will have a word with OPC at next visit.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

ALEX wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:33 pm I have a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, anyone used Chips Away and if so what was the result.
Thanks for any replies.
I went to my local Chips Away to explore getting my stone chips professionally repaired.

Very nice guy who offered to do the work for free if I supplied my own paint but I got the impression that he would just paint over the chipped area and not do any preparation work.

I don't expect the work for free but I did look at them to professionally repair and paint the chipped area. I wasn't confident that this would be the case.

I've since bought Chipex and when I get round to it will try it on an area not immediately visible. I'm not great at all this but would be meticulous if doing it myself. Thing is I don't want to do it and would rather pay someone if I knew they were competent.

My dealer could not recommend anyone and the service manager said that he used to have a really good guy at his previous dealership but wouldn't recommend any he'd met at his current location!

Maybe this type of work just doesn't pay because it does seem quite hard to find someone - reputable.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

He'd do the work for free if you supplied the paint? Huh?!

Don't think he'll be in business for long...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018