Macan GTS v Audi SQ5 Mk2 (Auto Express test)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

johnd wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 am Fundamental Q5 (and all other current Q's AFAIK) problem for me is the iPad stuck on the dash. Don't know why exactly but I'm just allergic to that arrangement - totally breaks up the upper dash line and looks like a complete afterthought (which obviously it wasn't, but looks like...). Plus I've always found that such a high position for a screen gives significant glare/reflection issues.

So whatever the merits/demerits of the rest of the comparison, this one iPad issue rules out any thoughts of a current Q series.
+1. Totally agree
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm
MartinRS2K wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 pm For those that don't want to read the article the GTS is a better car than the SQ5 :D
Yes.

I dislike the Q5 in all its iterations.

GTS is so much better.... providing you can live with Just 20 mpg :!:
And that is your prerogative, some of us would disagree...

I originally ordered a Macan GTS and cancelled and bought an SQ5. I am not disappointed with my choice and having read the article I am still not.

Why? Well I rarely goon down country lanes - most of my driving is making brisk progress on motorways or dual carriageways. Refinement was more important than ultimate handling. Secondly, I love the interior of the Q5 - the virtual cockpit, MMI interface, even the screen stuck on the dash (it works really well - perhaps more important than aesthetics). Thirdly, I carry passengers from time to time, and use the boot - whether that is for a dog in a pen, or pushchair and paraphernalia for my grandson. The Q5 is more practical - and that matters. Fourth, the Q5 is cheaper - that might not matter to some of you but even with the famed residuals of the Macan I worked out it was going to cost c£8k more over 4 years. Fifth, the Macan facelift is due, the Audi is a new model - less risk of a change causing buyers remorse.

And finally, and maybe I am unique on this point, I prefer the understated image of the Audi. Told a couple of my colleagues and my brother I had ordered a Porsche, got all the usual comments about how much I earned etc. Turn up in the Audi, no such comments. Happier leaving it parked on the street or in car parks, and also attracts less attention when making brisk progress as above.

So whatever the magazine says, the SQ5 is the right car for me. I could even get the colour I wanted! Enjoy your Macan's but don't assume they are right for everyone...
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 am Two great cars, but the red one was always going to win. However, if they put the Macan SD up against the forthcoming diesel SQ5... :geek:
Well the SD saw off the X5 3.0d and the brand new Velar 3.0d [the darling of the UK motoring press] and 10 others in their 23 August 2017 test, so lets wait and see.... ;). It will be good to see the Macan facelift SD 2018 model tested again the SQ5, Velar etc. next year.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 am Two great cars, but the red one was always going to win. :geek:
My SQ5 is red so that would have equalled things up - not Carmine but Matador

IMG_0023.JPG

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

On paper the SQ5 is very appealing but for me it lacks the visual aggression of a McCann.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Isleaiw wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 am
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 am Two great cars, but the red one was always going to win. :geek:
My SQ5 is red so that would have equalled things up - not Carmine but Matador
Great car and beautiful colour! As you say, each to their own. :) And I'm sure that you love your Audi as much as we love our Porsches! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 am
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 am Two great cars, but the red one was always going to win. However, if they put the Macan SD up against the forthcoming diesel SQ5... :geek:
Well the SD saw off the X5 3.0d and the brand new Velar 3.0d [the darling of the UK motoring press] and 10 others in their 23 August 2017 test, so lets wait and see.... ;). It will be good to see the Macan facelift SD 2018 model tested again the SQ5, Velar etc. next year.
Agreed. But they may need to up the power on the new SD to take the fight to the new diesel SQ5. Bring it on...! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I like the Audi binacle arrangement with the sat nav map replacing dials. Now, when's that HUD being introduced?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
spook

Post by spook »

johnd wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 am Fundamental Q5 (and all other current Q's AFAIK) problem for me is the iPad stuck on the dash. Don't know why exactly but I'm just allergic to that arrangement - totally breaks up the upper dash line and looks like a complete afterthought (which obviously it wasn't, but looks like...). Plus I've always found that such a high position for a screen gives significant glare/reflection issues.

So whatever the merits/demerits of the rest of the comparison, this one iPad issue rules out any thoughts of a current Q series.
+2 on the IPAD dash IMHO it just looks pants , Audi seem to be going down the Mercedes line with this.

However if you listen to most car adverts now its all about what gizmos and gadgets it has ( 4G in the Corsa !) as appose to mpg / CO2 / don't mention 0 - 62 times etc and Audi are trying to appeal to impressionable buyers. However if you read car magazines the most common faults with cars these days are the electronics.
I did read somewhere that JLR took over 6 months to sort out a DAB reception problem on an XF , the owner was without the car for most of that time.

The IPAD on the dash is not for me and I do like the latest Panamera dash, I'm a bit annoyed that i'm going to miss out on the new 911 as it will have a new dash in 2019, but I can't wait that long :( .

Isleaiw I have nothing against Audi's having bought new : TT Coupe (2007) , TTS roadster (2009) and an 185 A1 (2011).
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Guy

Post by Guy »

spook wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 am
+2 on the IPAD dash IMHO it just looks pants
+3, but then I also always said I wouldn't buy a car where the central display is angled towards the front passenger seat ;)