Tyre noise

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Spicky

Post by Spicky »

Any one else think the tyre noise on 21's is too high, I love the look of the wheels [sport classic] and on a smooth road the cars is virtually silent at any speed, but on certain tarmac and concrete roads it really is intrusive, need the music on the mask the noise!
I have done 20,000 miles on them and wonder if they get noisier when the tread is less? when I come to replace them my main concern will be quieter tyres, I understand Pirelli have designed some but don't know much more?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Most people will say that tyre noise is at its greatest when the tyre is new. It progressively "lessens" as the tyre wears down. This is because the tread blocks movement is at its greatest when new and the movement and harmonics reduce as the "height" reduces.

21" tyres will be the most noisy on the Macan as these are the lowest profile and the widest section. Conversely 18" will be the quietest.

All tyres sold in the EU, including the UK, have noise ratings that are shown on the label of a new tyre:

Exterior Noise. Exterior noise levels are measured in decibels (dB) and shown as one, two or three sound waves on the EU tyre label. One wave is the best performance, three is the worst. In fact, three bars is the current limit, while two meets future laws and one is a further 3dBs below.

tyre label.png

The lower the dB number, the quieter the tyre.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:19 pm Most people will say that tyre noise is at its greatest when the tyre is new. It progressively "lessens" as the tyre wears down. This is because the tread blocks movement is at its greatest when new and the movement and harmonics reduce as the "height" reduces.

21" tyres will be the most noisy on the Macan as these are the lowest profile and the widest section. Conversely 18" will be the quietest.

All tyres sold in the EU, including the UK, have noise ratings that are shown on the label of a new tyre:

Exterior Noise. Exterior noise levels are measured in decibels (dB) and shown as one, two or three sound waves on the EU tyre label. One wave is the best performance, three is the worst. In fact, three bars is the current limit, while two meets future laws and one is a further 3dBs below.

tyre label.png

The lower the dB number, the quieter the tyre.

😂😂 (unless of course VW group have installed a cheat device and these standard tests don’t represent real world driving)😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

When the swap from summer to winter tyres happens around this time of year I always marvel how much less noise the 19" winter wheels and tyres produce, coming, like Spicky, from 21". I can't puzzle out though why winter tyres, with all the intricate tread blocks and sipes produce less road noise. At the end of the winter when the temperatures creep over 7.5C consistently I love going back onto proper summer rubber. The higher side wall clearly helps reduce the noise but takes a little getting used to when your driving style is progressive :!:
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

“Progressive”? I usually say positive. I will see if that sticks.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Progressive = making progress = moving :geek:

Non-progressive = stationary :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nosmo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm When the swap from summer to winter tyres happens around this time of year I always marvel how much less noise the 19" winter wheels and tyres produce, coming, like Spicky, from 21". I can't puzzle out though why winter tyres, with all the intricate tread blocks and sipes produce less road noise. At the end of the winter when the temperatures creep over 7.5C consistently I love going back onto proper summer rubber. The higher side wall clearly helps reduce the noise but takes a little getting used to when your driving style is progressive :!:
There's no doubt that summer tyres give the best handling and roadholding when temperatures are above 7C. They are also the least noisy / quietest on a like for like size [summer v winter or all-season].

19" winter will be quieter than 21" summer tyres because there is less tread foot print area. Winter tyre technology has advanced considerably, including noise levels, in recent years too. Silica tread compounds have also contributed.

Here in the south west of England, I have not used winter tyres for the past 5 winters, as we've had virtually no snow / ice. Global warming? :?:

So few vehicles in this area have winter tyres fitted, that if the conditions are adverse you're only as good as the car in front of you in terms of making progress!!

One snowy roads story that I experienced years ago I can relate though. I was once stopped by the police at the start of a main road hill in the Cotswolds. "We're not letting cars go up that hill sir, only 4x4s".. I told them that I had a full set of winter tyres fitted to my Merc saloon and was prepared to risk it. So off I went, pursued by another civilian in a Toyota Landcruiser. A third of the way up this twisty hill the Toyota started slewing all across the road. I stopped and the guy asked how the hell I could keep going, when he was sliding? Winter tyres on a 2wd will invariably do better on snow and ice than a 4x4 on summer tyres in those conditions. :ugeek:
Last edited by SAC1 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 pm
Nosmo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm When the swap from summer to winter tyres happens around this time of year I always marvel how much less noise the 19" winter wheels and tyres produce, coming, like Spicky, from 21". I can't puzzle out though why winter tyres, with all the intricate tread blocks and sipes produce less road noise. At the end of the winter when the temperatures creep over 7.5C consistently I love going back onto proper summer rubber. The higher side wall clearly helps reduce the noise but takes a little getting used to when your driving style is progressive :!:
There's no doubt that summer tyres give the best handling and roadholding when temperatures are above 7C. They are also the least noisy / quietest on a like for like size [summer v winter or all-season].

19" winter will be quieter than 21" summer tyres because there is less tread foot print area. Winter tyre technology has advanced considerably, including noise levels, in recent years too. Silica tread compounds have also contributed.

Here in the south west of England, I have not used winter tyres for the past 5 winters, as we've had virtually no snow / ice. Global warming? :?:

So few vehicles in this area have winter tyres fitted, that if the conditions are adverse you're only as good as the car in front of you in terms of making progress!!

One snowy roads story that I experienced years ago I can relate though. I was once when I was stopped by the police at the start of a main road hill in the Cotswolds. "We're not letting cars go up that hill sir, only 4x4s".. I told them that I had a full set of winter tyres fitted to my Merc saloon and was prepared to risk it. So off I went, pursued by another civilian in a Toyota Landcruiser. A third of the way up this twisty hill the Toyota started slewing all across the road. I stopped and the guy asked how the hell I could keep going, when he was sliding? Winter tyres on a 2wd will invariably do better on snow and ice than a 4x4 on summer tyres in those conditions. :ugeek:
Conversely

My X Type Jag only ever had Summer tyres and going up a freshly snow covered country lane the Mercs and Beamers on whatever they had fitted went nowhere whereas I just drove on and on and on and on all the way home with zero problems.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

FWD v RWD advantage of the X-type and probably a less powerful engine to the Germans! :oops:
Steve

bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Most x types were 4wd, I had one and it was good in snow too.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric