Dash cam

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Are there any recommendations for fitting a dash cam to a Porsche Macan please? I was hoping to buy a NextBase front and rear unit and asked our main Porsche dealer if they would fit it and roughly how much they would charge. They replied saying Porsche "have a stipulation that you are not allowed any non Porsche fitments on the vehicle". (That is if there is any wiring fitment involved). I imagine what they mean is that if you do, then the Porsche warranty is null and void. Perhaps there is a decent Porsche dash cam that will do the job?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Post by Paul »

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Thanks Paul. However I am a wee bit apprehensive about this warranty aspect.
wilko

Post by wilko »

I have a bell in 4 port usb charger plugged in in the arm rest socket, with the 2 port box clipped to the side of the transmission tunnel.
I then plug any usb powered device, in my case a road angel in there, and then run the wires behind the trim.
I assume the dash cams are usb powered.
See eBay link below

I’ve never had any issue with warranty claims or extensions on my last three porsche’s doing it this way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112480247089?c ... 4620908974
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you are in doubt about the potential warranty issues then you can install a long USB power cable from one of the two USB outlets in the rear of the armrest, these are supposedly charger points but a power outlet is a power outlet.

Personally I think your dealer is being pedantic, I see no problem with using a piggy back spade connector in a fusebox, using one of these is non invasive as you are not breaking any cable or removing the fuse unit to get to the terminals at the rear of the unit. Porsche even include a very handy screw stud near the fusebox which can be used to connect the ground.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags