Has your wheel/tyre insurance paid for itself?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
blurty

Post by blurty »

It's not hard to repair tyres oneself, if a simple puncture

http://www.dynaplug.com/

andreas

Post by andreas »

blurty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 am It's not hard to repair tyres oneself, if a simple puncture

http://www.dynaplug.com/
I can't see any sensible person using that on a Macan and then going off for an enthusiastic drive! Apart from which, all reputable tyre fitters will insist on removing the tyre from the wheel to check for internal damage before repairing.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
blurty

Post by blurty »

I think (nearly) all reputable tyre fitters would insist on selling you a new tyre - which is not required for a simple nail puncture
andreas

Post by andreas »

blurty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am I think (nearly) all reputable tyre fitters would insist on selling you a new tyre - which is not required for a simple nail puncture
No, reputable tyre fitters would be happy to repair properly if the simple nail puncture is in the main tread area.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

blurty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am I think (nearly) all reputable tyre fitters would insist on selling you a new tyre - which is not required for a simple nail puncture
Either way - If the 250 - £350 per corner is a hardship you might want to consider another car. It is my safety and the only thing between me and the road.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

When I had the puncture in the rear tyre the AA man turned up and showed me information on his tablet which stated Porsche say NO to tyre repair.
The flat bed turned up an hour later and I had the choice where the Macan should be taken OPC or independent tyre company. I said Porsche as I had the tyre insurance and then I was asked which one (in this instance Sheffield or Nottingham). As he left, a hire car arrived which we used to go to the OPC in Sheffield. It was here that the service advisor also stated that they would not repair the tyre and interestingly that when the new tyre was fitted if there was a difference of more than 20% in tread depth a second tyre would have to be fitted. This is a Porsche service requirement as because of the LSD, which may not function properly if the tread difference was over 20%.
I dont think my tyre insurance would have covered the second tyre. Also my W&T insurance was with a different company to that used by Sheffield but they did all the contacting sending photos etc we just had to supply the account details.
We decided to carry on with our journey in the E-class hire car and collect the Macan on our way back rather than wait a couple of hours in Sheffield.
When we returned we just dropped off the hire car and drove off in the Macan having to pay no excess.
PJS

Post by PJS »

I've just had the second puncture in 6 months on the same rear offside wheel. Frustrating, but that's meant that the insurance has almost paid for it self already. As i'd done 12k miles, the rears were both on 4mm, and my OCD wouldn't have lived with one replacement tyre, so I sprung for the nearside one myself. I've kept that tyre and will probably ebay it.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I didn't bother with wheel/tyre insurance after a poor experience with an Inchcape policy on a Jag XJ (diamond cut wheels not covered). These policies are not usually brand specific and are intended to cover every type of vehicle. They only give cover for UK damage and 70% of my miles are done in Euroland. I doubt there is a specific Porsche policy.
Last edited by Bigboyrolo on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Third stage wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 pm .............. the service advisor also stated that they would not repair the tyre and interestingly that when the new tyre was fitted if there was a difference of more than 20% in tread depth a second tyre would have to be fitted. This is a Porsche service requirement as because of the LSD, which may not function properly if the tread difference was over 20%.
I don't think my tyre insurance would have covered the second tyre.
Also my W&T insurance was with a different company to that used by Sheffield but they did all the contacting sending photos etc we just had to supply the account details.
Yes, the 20% rule is in the handbook as I was recently concerned about replacing just one tyre. I would like the insurance to cover this requirement, but then again, dealing with Insurance companies and their cover/liabilities is never going to work in the claimants favour.
W&T policies are issued by a particular Car Group, their cover and cost may vary and are intended to cover a range of manufacturers cars. An Inchcape policy is issued by General Insurance Limited, on behalf of Ageas Insurance as Car Care Plan Limited. It was these I dealt with when I had an XJ, the dealer didn't want to know.
It is really good to hear that Sheffield, a JCT600 OPC, gave you so much assistance foc rather than tell you to deal direct with the insurer, Nottingham is a Stratstone OPC . I doubt there is a Porsche specific policy, in fact several OPC's do not offer W&T or Gap cover, too much hassle with FCA obligations I would think.
Nice to hear that a claim went well for you.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

PJS wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm I've just had the second puncture in 6 months on the same rear offside wheel. Frustrating, but that's meant that the insurance has almost paid for it self already. As i'd done 12k miles, the rears were both on 4mm, and my OCD wouldn't have lived with one replacement tyre, so I sprung for the nearside one myself. I've kept that tyre and will probably ebay it.
I would keep it in case you have another puncture when your tyres are down near 4mm. That will then be a free replacement - or only the fitting cost.