New Cayenne v New Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
sween555

Post by sween555 »

Hi all, just new to the forum and joined because of the thread header. :)

For the past 3 years I've been the proud owner of a Cayenne Diesel and looking to change. When I got the Cayenne in 2014, I was wanting to go for the Macan but the then wife talked me out of it. ..

Anyway, I've loved the car but after seeing Macan's on the road (they were rare in 2014) they look almost like a Cayenne, it's very hard to tell at times. With the new Cayenne Mk3 being a little underwhelming, I thought to wait for the new Macan and go for the petrol S as I would like a bit of pace.

I have thought about a new Range Rover Sport but they are pricey and I don't know if I can trust it after driving a Porsche for the past 3 years so it's going to be between the new Cayenne and the new Macan, when it eventually comes out.

What are the main pro's and cons?

Any help welcome. :)
Last edited by sween555 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Borrow one for the weekend and see if you like it. The main arguments are the smaller interior size (for such a relatively large car) the interior appears dated to some and the DPF issues are becoming more prevalent.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

First thing is you could do with is test driving a Macan, any it does not matter which. They all ride and handle well, its the choice of no PASM, PASM, air/PASM plus wheel size that makes the ride and handling different. Most demo Macans have at least PASM and 20 inch rims. It is PASM, 20 or 21 inch rims that most of us have.

There is no doubt, after the test drive if the interior space (considerably less than your Cayenne) is OK then you will be blown away by the Macan except possibly the infotainment system with is the main CON, its so last generation.

Do have the SE run through and demo each extra tgat is fitted to the car and make a note of them together with images inside and out. Repeat this for each Macan test driven.

Engines.
2.0 is OK if you like to tootle about with the masses, it has to be worked to get the best out of it.

SD, low torque makes it a great mile muncher and its initial acceleration is pretty rapid but does tail off. Some members have had DPF issues, do read the DPF threads. In comfort mode the engine and gearbox is sluggish to respond, Sport mode is better up to actual cruising speed.

S, needs Sport mode and revs to get best out of it.

GTS, similar to S but with better low end torque.

Turbo, great allrounder.

Turbo PP, hold on to your hat this thing flies.

Whatever engineyou go for suggested base price plus options in the £8 to £12k range are pretty well standard with members here.

Do read the thread on what to specify in the orders section.

We are not expecting much in the facelift, front cosmetics, rear light bar as per Panamera and maybe better PCM and engine changes.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Excellent round-up, Col.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
sween555

Post by sween555 »

happy days wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 pm Borrow one for the weekend and see if you like it. The main arguments are the smaller interior size (for such a relatively large car) the interior appears dated to some and the DPF issues are becoming more prevalent.
Thanks, I might well ask Leeds if I can take one on a demo.
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:20 pm Welcome.

First thing is you could do with is test driving a Macan, any it does not matter which. They all ride and handle well, its the choice of no PASM, PASM, air/PASM plus wheel size that makes the ride and handling different. Most demo Macans have at least PASM and 20 inch rims. It is PASM, 20 or 21 inch rims that most of us have.

There is no doubt, after the test drive if the interior space (considerably less than your Cayenne) is OK then you will be blown away by the Macan except possibly the infotainment system with is the main CON, its so last generation.

Do have the SE run through and demo each extra tgat is fitted to the car and make a note of them together with images inside and out. Repeat this for each Macan test driven.

Engines.
2.0 is OK if you like to tootle about with the masses, it has to be worked to get the best out of it.

SD, low torque makes it a great mile muncher and its initial acceleration is pretty rapid but does tail off. Some members have had DPF issues, do read the DPF threads. In comfort mode the engine and gearbox is sluggish to respond, Sport mode is better up to actual cruising speed.

S, needs Sport mode and revs to get best out of it.

GTS, similar to S but with better low end torque.

Turbo, great allrounder.

Turbo PP, hold on to your hat this thing flies.

Whatever engineyou go for suggested base price plus options in the £8 to £12k range are pretty well standard with members here.

Do read the thread on what to specify in the orders section.

We are not expecting much in the facelift, front cosmetics, rear light bar as per Panamera and maybe better PCM and engine changes.
Thanks for this post Col, very insightful.

I have 21" Turbo wheels on my Cayenne with no PASM, so the ride has been not that smooth compared to the Cayenne S I had with PASM the other week when my car was in for a service. I defo need to think about this with my purchase.

I'm guessing the new Macan will have the same touchscreen interior as the new Cayenne, which will mean the only real difference will be size here....
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

sween555 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 pm Hi all, just new to the forum and joined because of the thread header. :)

For the past 3 years I've been the proud owner of a Cayenne Diesel and looking to change. When I got the Cayenne in 2014, I was wanting to go for the Macan but the then wife talked me out of it. ..

Anyway, I've loved the car but after seeing Macan's on the road (they were rare in 2014) they look almost like a Cayenne, it's very hard to tell at times. With the new Cayenne Mk3 being a little underwhelming, I thought to wait for the new Macan and go for the petrol S as I would like a bit of pace.

I have thought about a new Range Rover Sport but they are pricey and I don't know if I can trust it after driving a Porsche for the past 3 years so it's going to be between the new Cayenne and the new Macan, when it eventually comes out.

What are the main pro's and cons?

Any help welcome. :)
Col Lamb gave a good review of the current Macan range but your penultimate paragraph referred to choosing between a new Cayenne and the new Macan. Just to be clear, the Macan coming out next year is a face lift, the new Macan is not due until 2022.

Whilst nobody can tell you definitely, it looks as if the face lift Macan will have the same petrol engines as the just announced new Cayenne. At one stage there was talk of all Porsche diesel engines being discontinued when the face lift Macan comes out. However as the current Cayenne diesel has just been reinstated on the Porsche configurator, who knows. It's possible that the face lift will also involve new instrumentation along the lines of the new Cayenne.

Whilst you can order a new Cayenne now, there have not yet been any road tests in the UK. Motoring journalists seem reasonably impressed with the way all the new models go. You've said you're underwhelmed by it. On the other hand, with the new interior and new engines, it currently heads my "next car" list.

If you're looking to change car now then a Macan is the better option but if you're prepared to wait six to nine months before ordering you might decide something different.

Good Luck.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

There have been Cayenne road tests in the U.K. I've a copy of Autocar where they tested a new Cayenne here in Wiltshire on 27th September.

I understand that OPCs won't have new Cayenne demos until next year.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Do you require the extra space from the Cayenne? Do you require the better off road capability?

Get a test drive in a new Cayenne / current Macan and see which one you prefer to drive.

Stop getting bullied by your wife :D :D :D
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I have had 4 Macans and can't talk highly enough of them.

But personally if it was me ordering a new SUV at this time I would go for the Cayenne as its a brand new model, new engines, new tech. Facelift Macan was due in June 18 but it appears now that that may have been delayed.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

MacanArif wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 am I have had 4 Macans and can't talk highly enough of them.

But personally if it was me ordering a new SUV at this time I would go for the Cayenne as its a brand new model, new engines, new tech. Facelift Macan was due in June 18 but it appears now that that may have been delayed.
Good point.