Starting to think about a replacement

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
StuK

Post by StuK »

So, I’ve had my SD for over 2 years now and it’s been absolutely amazing. However, the plan has always been to replace it within 3 years and given the long lead times on certain models, I need to make my mind up within the next few months. So what do I replace it with?

As much as I love my SD, like most on here, I’m concerned about residuals on the diesels and think that I’ll probably go Petrol next time. In terms of a new Macan, it would either be a reasonably specced S, or a more standard GTS. In terms of other manufacturers, I’ve tried a Jag F-Pace, which was alright, without being spectacular. I tried an Audi SQ5 last time, so would be interested in seeing how the new Petrol version performs now. I’ve also driven an Alfa Stelvio, which was pretty and handled surprisingly well, but was underpowered. In fact, the only Stelvio I’d be interested in is the quadrofoglio, but that isn’t available yet. I suspect it will have terrible residuals anyway. Is there anything else I should try?

I suspect that there will be a considerable Macan bias on here, but I suffer from the same affliction and therefore think I’ll end up with another Macan.

I had the pleasure of trying out the S vs the GTS at the PEC at Silverstone yesterday and have to say that I’m erring toward the GTS at the moment. It was wonderful to drive, slightly more sprightly than my SD, but that exhaust note...wow!

The only other, slightly left field option is to go for a much less inspiring family car and trade up my little used 944 for something sportier, like a 997 C4S.

All advice is welcomed, but may be completely ignored.

B8D63503-131D-4060-82A5-711325B02DC5.jpeg

Last edited by StuK on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Macan bias, and GTS bias, but having had an SD for 10 months (or so) and many, many “ nice” “fast” cars over the last 30 yrs I genuinely can’t see where I would go now to replace my GTS.....👍
Mrs P has a fast (ish) cabriolet for the summer.....I get the keys once in a while.....but other than that the Macan ticks all the boxes.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If it was me I would keep the SD - you will never be able to afford another one if taxes keep increasing - and go for the C4S option.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

How about the new Jaguar E-Pace, that is getting good reviews.
Although it is smaller than a Macan.

P.S. Agree with ScotMac though, as you would use the 997 C4S more because it's comfier and more suitable for everyday life?
Last edited by Semerka on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

C4S! :twisted:

And maybe a Golf or similar for the sensible family car? :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Ive only had my McCann SD for two weeks almost and I love it but can't help Googling GTS.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Caster

Post by Caster »

I'd second Semerka with the E-Pace (300ps version) - although can't see it being as good a drive as a Macan - especially round the "twisty bits"!

Plus, I'd second Wing Co with the Golf (310 R auto version) - although might not be big enough for you.

After looking at those - probably a good decision to settle for the GTS! 👍
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Wingco had his tongue firmly in cheek I think. However have come from a Golf R which I loved driving I can say the Macan is the experience desired of the more mature man. Sometimes. The R was as nimble as a bike. The McCann could not touch it for driving on greasy roads.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Don’t discount the Stelvio as I think you can now get the 300 bhp two litre engine in it. I may be mistaken

I think it looks more interesting than the Macan escpecially in the Alfa red colour they do
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
eakae

Post by eakae »

My personal take is the C4S option.

You are of course at a tricky stage in trying to make a decision as the facelifted Macan is due at some point (possibly 2nd half 2018??). By that stage the Stelvio Quadrifoglio should be available with the engine from the California 😛. As others have said, and I would concur, the Stelvio is a nicer looking car - I happened to see a one next to a Macan in Rome back in September. However, as also mentioned residuals won’t be anywhere near as strong as a Porsche and service costs will be high. I’m less keen on the Jag SUVs and they would suffer from a similar rate of depreciation.

When you tried the SQ5 was it on the new aluminium platform? By all accounts it’s made a big difference to the dynamics of the car. Should be really interesting to see what Porsche can eek out of it. Will most likely be used in the Macan II rather than facelifted Macan.

All that’s said, or maybe because of what i’ve said, C4S...
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo