Back to an SD (briefly)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jk88

Post by jk88 »

My GTS was with the OPC for a couple of days to have the PCM updated amongst a couple of minor things and they gave me an SD as a loaner. As I swapped out of an SD 8 months ago, it was an interesting reminder of the pros and cons of an SD vs a GTS as well as an opportunity to evaluate usefulness of various options not present on the SD loaner.

Firstly, it's easy to forget the wonderful low down punch the diesel has and if there's one thing I miss it's the step-off torque (easily cured by replacing the GTS with Turbo PP I hear you all saying ;)). Oh and mpg that starts with a 4 ...

The SD had 21 in wheel and PASM (no air) and the ride felt OK mostly, however the road noise was much more intrusive than my GTS (20 in & air). The loaner didn't have PS+ and felt like I was getting an upper body work out when driving at low speeds. Cruise control was slightly scary when you're used to setting ACC and not worrying about closing speeds. No pano roof made the interior a little gloomy. And no cameras made me realise how little rear visibility there is when reversing.

That said, the SD remains a brilliant Macan with or without all the options. However when I got back into my GTS, it just felt so right and so precise compared to the SD. It was like getting it again for the first time and I enjoyed every mile home that much more.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great honest review 👍👍👍
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Sounds like the move from SD to GTS was definitely the right one for you, jk88! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Great refresh of the SD.

Glad you comment on PS+ as I have been shot down many times by a few who do not see a need for it.

Totally agree 20” and air make the best ride v looks status.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
eakae

Post by eakae »

It’s great being given the opportunity to try different variants. I appreciate you had an SD before. The GTS sounds perfect for you although in the very unlikely event they loan you a Turbo PP in the future you may be tempted to add your name to the waiting list :roll:
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Great report, my SD is a fabulous everyday driver (16kmil/year) must try a GTS to see what all the fuss is about ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960