There it was , gone...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

This is what Bazza06 warned us about some time ago regarding Keyless entry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4213280 ... -on-camera

As you can see, the car was stolen in seconds.

Interesting that the cops only mention the full DiskLok type of device as protection, not the Faraday cage to keep your key in.

But don't use the straight bar type steering lock. The bad guys love these because it gives them lots of leverage to break the steering lock and they can be removed in seconds.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I suggest buying a Faraday cage key pouch would help. A fiver well spent🤞
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

But how did the thieves know the car had remote access / key less entry? :shock:

You can't tell just by looking at the car.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
andreas

Post by andreas »

Semerka wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 am But how did the thieves know the car had remote access / key less entry? :shock:

Interesting question, inside knowledge from the dealer/servicing agent? I had a 7-series stolen a couple of days after a service, bit of a coincidence I thought at the time.

Anyway, the West Midlands has the UK's highest incidence of car theft, so maybe there are just roaming gangs of high-tech thieves.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

They may have had their eye on it, perhaps seen the owner unlocking it keylessly?

Interesting that the first guy flashes his torch into the car, maybe checking there's no steering wheel lock. And the second guy returns to the house a second time, once the driver is in the car, perhaps to relay the key code again to start the car?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
грязныйдизель

Post by грязныйдизель »

It would take a few seconds for an intervention to fail and for them to move on. I think it’s a safe bet on some cars though.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

andreas wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am
Semerka wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 am But how did the thieves know the car had remote access / key less entry? :shock:

Interesting question, inside knowledge from the dealer/servicing agent? I had a 7-series stolen a couple of days after a service, bit of a coincidence I thought at the time.

Anyway, the West Midlands has the UK's highest incidence of car theft, so maybe there are just roaming gangs of high-tech thieves.
That's very possible, there was once an employee of a BMW dealer caught assisting thieves in a similar way, so I would not rule that out, call me cynical. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
John_M

Post by John_M »

andreas wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 amInteresting question, inside knowledge from the dealer/servicing agent? I had a 7-series stolen a couple of days after a service, bit of a coincidence I thought at the time.
I recall some comments about corrupt staff/dealer abroad (possibly was in the long running thread on Pistonheads about theft of keyless BMWs ) was using access to main database and passing on useful information/cutting keys.

If the 7 Series was a keyless E range then it is possible anyone who had access to it in dealer plugged in a programmer and just told it to accept a new key then a couple of nights later turned up and just drove it away.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

This could help... ;)

A man in Australia was sacked after he relied on a 180-year-old scientific discovery to help prevent his colleagues discovering his whereabouts while he played golf during work hours.
Tom Colella, a 60-year-old  electrician in Perth, lost his job after an anonymous letter to his firm claimed that he left work to play golf at least 140 times over the last two years.
Australia’s Fair Work Commission, a workplace tribunal, heard that Mr Colella blocked his whereabouts by storing his personal digital assistant, a phone-like device that has a GPS inside inside, in an empty foil packet of Twisties, a puffy cheese-based snack that is popular in Australia.
The tribunal found that the packet was deliberately used to operate  as an elaborate “Faraday cage” - an enclosure which can block electromagnetic fields - and prevented his employer knowing his location.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
andreas

Post by andreas »

Dandock wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 pm This could help... ;)

A man in Australia was sacked after he relied on a 180-year-old scientific discovery to help prevent his colleagues discovering his whereabouts while he played golf during work hours.
Tom Colella, a 60-year-old  electrician in Perth, lost his job after an anonymous letter to his firm claimed that he left work to play golf at least 140 times over the last two years.
Australia’s Fair Work Commission, a workplace tribunal, heard that Mr Colella blocked his whereabouts by storing his personal digital assistant, a phone-like device that has a GPS inside inside, in an empty foil packet of Twisties, a puffy cheese-based snack that is popular in Australia.
The tribunal found that the packet was deliberately used to operate  as an elaborate “Faraday cage” - an enclosure which can block electromagnetic fields - and prevented his employer knowing his location.
When I first started work, in the European headquarters of a major motor manufacturer, one of my colleagues spent most afternoons "entertaining" a young housewife who lived in a block of flats nearby. This was before the days of mobile phones. Every time he went off to visit her, he left his jacket on the back of his chair. People would answer his phone and say "...Can I get him to call you back? He can't be far away as his jacket's here..."
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)