There it was , gone...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:59 am This is what Bazza06 warned us about some time ago regarding Keyless entry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4213280 ... -on-camera

As you can see, the car was stolen in seconds.

Interesting that the cops only mention the full DiskLok type of device as protection, not the Faraday cage to keep your key in.

But don't use the straight bar type steering lock. The bad guys love these because it gives them lots of leverage to break the steering lock and they can be removed in seconds.
A friend in N. Norfolk recently had his unique £250,000 Bentley GT3-R stolen using the same method. He has it all on CCTV, It took about 1m20 at 3 am and he never heard a thing. Police reckon it will go to Russia and was stolen to order. He declared that it would be garaged on his insurance, but on that night it wasn't!

GT3-R.jpg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm unique £250,000 Bentley GT3-R stolen ....He declared that it would be garaged on his insurance, but on that night it wasn't!
Will the insurance company refuse to pay out?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Tall Phil wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm
Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm unique £250,000 Bentley GT3-R stolen ....He declared that it would be garaged on his insurance, but on that night it wasn't!
If he makes their decision public, I'll let you know, if he wants it kept private, I'll keep schtum?
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 pm
Tall Phil wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm
If he makes their decision public, I'll let you know, if he wants it kept private, I'll keep schtum?
That's fair.

It was more of a generic question as to whether insurance companies would or would not pay out if a car is not kept in the garage when it has been stated, as part of the policy, that the car would be kept in the garage.

I have stated mine is kept in a garage overnight, if one night I don't put it in and something happens, am I covered or not?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
VanB

Post by VanB »

Probably not - if insurance companies can wriggle out of paying a claim they generally will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Tricky one. Of course they can’t expect it to be garaged at home every night, ie if you are away, but what if, for example, your garage isn’t available one night because of repair work or you are storing something temporarily, or working on another car? Worth asking your insurers.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Would be far easier to declare on setting up the policy that the car will not be garaged, then ask what the premium reduction would be?

The Macan is garaged and its the first car of mine that has a policy based on that fact.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
John_M

Post by John_M »

Tall Phil wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:29 amIt was more of a generic question as to whether insurance companies would or would not pay out if a car is not kept in the garage when it has been stated, as part of the policy, that the car would be kept in the garage.

I have stated mine is kept in a garage overnight, if one night I don't put it in and something happens, am I covered or not?
I think they may check up - if garage looks like it is being used as a storage area, too small or hasn't had a car in recently then you are in trouble, similarly if your neighbours say they usually see car on drive at night. But for one off - the ombudsman may side with you - link
I recall it being suggested that garaging most cars doesn't change the premiums (or puts it up as it makes more likely damaged) but I don't know how true that is
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Had a friend of mine that had his motorbike stolen from the train station.
He declared it was stored in the garage when at home. Even though it was stolen from a train station the insurance company has asked for photographic proof of his garage including all internal pictures.
The insurance company has not paid out yet and dragging their heels but it’s all above board so should be no issue.

Always be accurate on your insurance info.

My cars are garaged. If stolen from the garage I have a basic Or may even be £0 Xs to pay. If stolen when car is out of the garage my XS is much much higher so it’s in my interest to garage it. I am covered no matter where it is but I may have to prove the car can fit in the garage and has been used.

I may be mistaken but I was told the car had to be garaged more than 50% of the time at the relevant location. How they check I don’t know but if they have any reason to get out of not paying I am sure they will find it. I can prove it with CCTV.

Always worth checking with each insurance company and would be interesting to see what they say.
GTS 😀