First Porsche Speeding Fine ......Sigh

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Bazza06 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:43 pm I've recently been issued with an NOIP - 59 in a 50 on the M25. I don't know what the outcome will be - summons or awareness course. I haven't had a speeding penalty for 16years.

I was caught on the road immediately after the bridge going towards the M2 where the inside lane, which I was in, feeds into the M2. I have seen countless sideswipes here where foreign lorry drivers are crossing the lanes to either get into the lane for the M2 or out of it for the M25 / M20.

As I'm progressing a foreign lorry in lane 2 indicates to move into lane 1 where I am. I'm within the area of the rear 3rd of the trailer and I can't suddenly brake as I'll get rear ended, so I accelerate to move ahead and out of his path. That is when I believe the camera is activated.

So I have potentially avoided an accident, injuries, lane closures and a mass of paperwork but will pay the penalty for being 9mph over the limit.

But where cameras are concerned it's black and white. There's no consideration for why the driver was speeding and I recently read that driving above the limit to make way for the emergency services or crossing a red light or entering a bus lane is equally punishable.

What flack might the media dish out if drivers were known to block the way of the services responding to a terrorist attack or other serious incident for fear of getting a ticket?
Completely agree with your points. My driving priorities have not changed - safety / avoiding an accident still comes before speeding. One of the benefits of a fast vehicle - you can speed up and get yourself out of trouble.

Not sure if you have done anything about your NOIP but as mentioned to me earlier it might be worthwhile sending a letter. Best of luck.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Tough Luck we’ve all speeded at times and got away with it,could be a court case instead of a fixed penalty doing 90.😢
SteveW
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Bazza06 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:43 pm I've recently been issued with an NOIP - 59 in a 50 on the M25. I don't know what the outcome will be - summons or awareness course. I haven't had a speeding penalty for 16years.

I was caught on the road immediately after the bridge going towards the M2 where the inside lane, which I was in, feeds into the M2. I have seen countless sideswipes here where foreign lorry drivers are crossing the lanes to either get into the lane for the M2 or out of it for the M25 / M20.

As I'm progressing a foreign lorry in lane 2 indicates to move into lane 1 where I am. I'm within the area of the rear 3rd of the trailer and I can't suddenly brake as I'll get rear ended, so I accelerate to move ahead and out of his path. That is when I believe the camera is activated.

So I have potentially avoided an accident, injuries, lane closures and a mass of paperwork but will pay the penalty for being 9mph over the limit.

But where cameras are concerned it's black and white. There's no consideration for why the driver was speeding and I recently read that driving above the limit to make way for the emergency services or crossing a red light or entering a bus lane is equally punishable.

What flack might the media dish out if drivers were known to block the way of the services responding to a terrorist attack or other serious incident for fear of getting a ticket?
Meant to say....... 59 on a motorway! You should be ashamed of yourself. You people in your fast cars, should be locked up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I'm taking my own noose :D :D
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

ScotMac wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Completely agree with your points. My driving priorities have not changed - safety / avoiding an accident still comes before speeding. One of the benefits of a fast vehicle - you can speed up and get yourself out of trouble.

Not sure if you have done anything about your NOIP but as mentioned to me earlier it might be worthwhile sending a letter. Best of luck.
+1 (with the benefit of experience 😡)
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
happy days

Post by happy days »

i think it's time for a series of public information films again to educate the newer drivers that the outside lane is called the overtaking lane. Once you have overtaken, move back to the nearside lane again. Come back Reginald Molehusband!
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Actually, it's not. It's called Lane 3.

Centre lane hogging is not a specific offence, it is treated as careless driving, for which the Police have been given additional powers to apply fixed penalty notices of £100.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

On the general topic of speeding, people should be aware of additional cameras installed on "Smart" motorways. These are fixed on the extreme left of certain of the gantries. There are two small yellow boxes (one camera and one flash) and they are always on regardless of whether or not there is a variable speed limit in force.

I've seen a number of unwary motorists caught out (well the flash goes off so I assume a NOIP follows). By trial, I have found that up to the national speed limit plus 10% there is no problem.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm Actually, it's not. It's called Lane 3.

Centre lane hogging is not a specific offence, it is treated as careless driving, for which the Police have been given additional powers to apply fixed penalty notices of £100.

Correct . Lane 1 2 3 4 etc.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

happy days wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am i think it's time for a series of public information films again to educate the newer drivers that the outside lane is called the overtaking lane. Once you have overtaken, move back to the nearside lane again. Come back Reginald Molehusband!
I don’t think it’s necessarily newer drivers but Mr and Mrs Complacent who’ve alway driven that way and for whom Molehusbandness is a way of life.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀