First Porsche Speeding Fine ......Sigh

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Because good cars are so well built today and I suppose designed for the German Autobahn we don't realise HOW FAST we are really going. In a good car 140 mph does not really feel that fast (not that I have ever been at that sort of stupid speed on a British road :shock: :shock: :shock: ).

It's only when you are going slow / stand at the side of the road / crash into a tree that you realise.

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Add to that list - losing control.
Going backwards up a road at 40 mph in the dark can seem pretty quick.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
VanB

Post by VanB »

Rolling a car on a motorway at 60 can be pretty scary too. Thank God it was an old Volvo built like tank!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I've long given up with ton plus motorway driving in the UK. Just too many cameras about to take the risk. I now tend to sit at around 78 mph (indicated) which is about the limit to avoid getting caught by cameras. I've noticed recently that most other drivers seem to have come to the same conclusion and not that much traffic steams past you like it would have only a few years ago. It actually surprises me how many people drive well below 70 on the motorways in cars.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm I've long given up with ton plus motorway driving in the UK. Just too many cameras about to take the risk. I now tend to sit at around 78 mph (indicated) which is about the limit to avoid getting caught by cameras. I've noticed recently that most other drivers seem to have come to the same conclusion and not that much traffic steams past you like it would have only a few years ago. It actually surprises me how many people drive well below 70 on the motorways in cars.

You obviously don't travel on the M5 much then - I cruise around 80 and there is always a non stop stream of vehicles passing me.
Deleted User 1874

Macananon wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:16 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm I've long given up with ton plus motorway driving in the UK. Just too many cameras about to take the risk. I now tend to sit at around 78 mph (indicated) which is about the limit to avoid getting caught by cameras. I've noticed recently that most other drivers seem to have come to the same conclusion and not that much traffic steams past you like it would have only a few years ago. It actually surprises me how many people drive well below 70 on the motorways in cars.

You obviously don't travel on the M5 much then - I cruise around 80 and there is always a non stop stream of vehicles passing me.
Sure, there is often plenty of 80+ traffic if it can actually maintain that sort of speed for any length of time. Just seems less than there was a few years ago and certainly a lot less ton plus traffic. If I'm in a hurry I'll often join the 85 brigade, but it usually ends up being slower than that on average anyway. Of course you always get the obligatory nob in an Audi wanting to go faster than the vast line of cars stretching out as far as the eye can see in front.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 pm
Macananon wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Sure, there is often plenty of 80+ traffic if it can actually maintain that sort of speed for any length of time. Just seems less than there was a few years ago and certainly a lot less ton plus traffic. If I'm in a hurry I'll often join the 85 brigade, but it usually ends up being slower than that on average anyway. Of course you always get the obligatory nob in an Audi wanting to go faster than the vast line of cars stretching out as far as the eye can see in front.
If you get caught at 100 mph + you are possibly sent to jail along with the child killers. Not really worth it.

Another reason why I don't really want a 911 turbo :( :( :(
Deleted User 1874

ScotMac wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:20 pm
If you get caught at 100 mph + you are possibly sent to jail along with the child killers. Not really worth it.

I agree, just not worth it and 100 is not even a thrill anyway in a car capable of 190+ mph. Better to just chill out and go with the flow. I'm even seriously thinking of limiting my new Tesla to 90 mph to avoid any temptation to stray. When I had my 911 C4S, I often ended up finding myself well into 3 figures when getting carried away. It's just too easy and would be even easier in a Turbo.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm
ScotMac wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:20 pm

I agree, just not worth it and 100 is not even a thrill anyway in a car capable of 190+ mph. Better to just chill out and go with the flow. I'm even seriously thinking of limiting my new Tesla to 90 mph to avoid any temptation to stray. When I had my 911 C4S, I often ended up finding myself well into 3 figures when getting carried away. It's just too easy and would be even easier in a Turbo.
It is a shame. When I accelerate to get past someone or whatever it is generally "foot to the floor" - a force of habit.

Perhaps that is why there are so many head on crashes. People watching their speed instead of what is happening .

Hadn't even thought of "speed limiting" - might be a good idea especially on longer runs.
Deleted User 1874

ScotMac wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:13 pm
Hadn't even thought of "speed limiting" - might be a good idea especially on longer runs.
I got the idea from the Tesla demo cars, which are all limited to 85 mph. It's almost comedy how quickly they hit the limiter too! I think I'd want a bit more of a buffer, so thought I'd try 90 to start with and see how often I hit it.

At the other end of the spectrum, I found that having only 1 gear and strong regeneration braking helped a lot in keeping to 30 mph limits. I always find those hard work in manual cars, although not such an issue with decent automatics.