Have I got a gearbox problem?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I do notice that moving off initially can sometimes be a touch smoother when in normal/economy mode, as opposed to Sport or Sport Plus. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

VanB, perhaps it's the extra 400 or so Kgs causing the slightly Snatchy take up? As you say, the 981 never exhibited this. I'm not unduly worried, just thought someone may have come back and said, the solenoid needs changing/common problem or similar? Had the solenoid changed on the 981 after it stopped changing gear and was stuck in 2nd, luckily only about 1 mile from home! Cleared itself next day, but diagnosis showed it to be faulty.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
VanB

Post by VanB »

It’s not something that concerns be apart from having to ensure that I stay at least half a cars length away from the car in front when moving off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
jk88

Post by jk88 »

As it happens, I do have a gearbox problem, but not to do with any of the symptoms mentioned so far on this thread.

When I had my PCM software upgraded a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I could occasionally hear a very faint whistling noise at at around 70mph, would they care to investigate?

So the OPC recorded the sounds with the car on a ramp, sends them off to Porsche and a week later I got a call saying Porsche would like to change the gearbox as a precaution. So the Macan is booked in mid Jan for a week to do the swap.

Seems strange that you can have all sorts of obvious glitches and the OPC says there's nothing wrong (transfer box etc), yet mention what seems a very minor thing and they are all over it ...
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

jk88 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 pm So the OPC recorded the sounds with the car on a ramp, sends them off to Porsche and a week later I got a call saying Porsche would like to change the gearbox as a precaution. So the Macan is booked in mid Jan for a week to do the swap.

Seems strange that you can have all sorts of obvious glitches and the OPC says there's nothing wrong (transfer box etc), yet mention what seems a very minor thing and they are all over it ...

Blimey! :shock:

That's a big/expensive job for Porsche! Sounds like them (sensibly) being very cautious, rather than risking you having a catastrophic mechanical failure at a dangerous speed. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
LTH

Post by LTH »

Hi

After a very long time and lots of trips to the dealer as I have had the exact same issues but nothing could be found and no fault was recorded
Today Porsche said and I quote
non-present fault recorded within the gearbox ECU
Hope this helps
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

LTH wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm Hi
non-present fault recorded within the gearbox ECU
Reminds me of the time when I reviewed reports written by engineers. One wrote ‘the fire was unsuccessfully extinguished’! Mind you, he was Scottish, so no doubt my amusement was down to my lack of understanding of the Scottish language.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA