Have I got a gearbox problem?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
holymoly

Post by holymoly »

Hello, this is my first post, I wish I could have come on here and posted about how much I was enjoying my Macan S diesel but I think I have a problem.

The problem I think might be with the gearbox but I would be very grateful if someone could direct me to what the actual problem is. The symptoms are most obvious when reversing or pulling away up a gradient, it doesn't have to be steep. For example going into a parking spot up a slight gradient, I pull up, put the car in reverse, give it a few revs and nothing happens, I look to see whether it is actually in reverse rather than neutral, yes it is in reverse, I then give it more revs and then the car rapidly moves backwards. It is like it is all or nothing with this car. The same for puling out of a junction up a gradient it is just not smooth at all. Once the vehicle has 2nd gear there is no problem with the PDK going up and down the gears.

We had long and extensive test drives and I don't remember those cars being like this (a Macan S, a Macan Diesel S and a GTS), I also own a VW California with a DSG gearbox it is nothing like this. So I have been back to my dealer, Porsche Chester and they checked for any fault codes, none were found, they also said they could alter the gearbox settings to see if it helps but it has only made things worse. Today we have been given a loan car a Macan S petrol it is absolutely fine when using first or reverse gear there is proper control over the car with the throttle. The loan car was because we are having one of the seats changed due to a problem with the leather. Has anybody come across this before?

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

This has been discussed here. I have not experienced it on mine. sometimes there is a small lag but not abnormal for an automatic. when cold there is something laggy but that doesn't bother me.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Spud

Post by Spud »

holymoly wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:50 pm Hello, this is my first post, I wish I could have come on here and posted about how much I was enjoying my Macan S diesel but I think I have a problem.

The problem I think might be with the gearbox but I would be very grateful if someone could direct me to what the actual problem is. The symptoms are most obvious when reversing or pulling away up a gradient, it doesn't have to be steep. For example going into a parking spot up a slight gradient, I pull up, put the car in reverse, give it a few revs and nothing happens, I look to see whether it is actually in reverse rather than neutral, yes it is in reverse, I then give it more revs and then the car rapidly moves backwards. It is like it is all or nothing with this car. The same for puling out of a junction up a gradient it is just not smooth at all. Once the vehicle has 2nd gear there is no problem with the PDK going up and down the gears.

We had long and extensive test drives and I don't remember those cars being like this (a Macan S, a Macan Diesel S and a GTS), I also own a VW California with a DSG gearbox it is nothing like this. So I have been back to my dealer, Porsche Chester and they checked for any fault codes, none were found, they also said they could alter the gearbox settings to see if it helps but it has only made things worse. Today we have been given a loan car a Macan S petrol it is absolutely fine when using first or reverse
gear there is proper control over the car with the throttle. The loan car was because we are having one of the seats changed due to a problem with the leather. Has anybody come across this before?
Hi Holymoly, I had the same problem with my SD , it was the transfer box which the OPC exchanged under warranty, it sorted the problem , the transfer box has been a common problem with the Macan and there is a thread about it, if the car is under warranty I would speak to your OPC

Regards

Spud
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
holymoly

Post by holymoly »

Thanks, the car is under warranty it was new 1st September this year.

I raised the transfer box as being a source of the problem with a technician at the dealership and was told the Macan doesn't have one. I hate being fobbed off.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

holymoly wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:51 pm I raised the transfer box as being a source of the problem with a technician at the dealership and was told the Macan doesn't have one. I hate being fobbed off.
Welcome, holymoly :)

Wow! That is incredible :shock: I am speechless.

Sure it wasn't the person who washes the cars, or makes the coffee? :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

You mentioned this issue is more pronounced when pulling away on a gradient. When the Macan stops on an incline the “Hold” function automatically activates the parking brake so to get going again requires more pressure on the accelerator to disengage the brake. Is this possibly what you are experiencing?
Spud

Post by Spud »

holymoly wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:51 pm Thanks, the car is under warranty it was new 1st September this year.

I raised the transfer box as being a source of the problem with a technician at the dealership and was told the Macan doesn't have one. I hate being fobbed off.
If the problem persists I would push your OPC further on the Transfer Box, I didn’t even have to push my OPC as straight away they acknowledged there was an issue, you are obviously covered under warranty, try not to let it spoil your view on the Macan, I had issues with Macan No1 in 2014 and am now on my 3rd, it is a great motor.

R

Spud
Last edited by Spud on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I presume you have demonstrated the problem to your dealer. That might be helpful.

I have experienced a delay when reversing but don't really find it to be an issue.
holymoly

Post by holymoly »

I took the vehicle back to the OPC at the end of October and had a long discussion with a technician it was then that I was told the DSG doesn't have a transfer box.

It's not the HOLD function that is causing this as had this feature on my previous car and am used to its functionality.

I am returning to the OPC on Monday and will keep you posted on what happens.

I also have found the thread on transfer box issues and have had a good read, many forum members descriptions of there problems mirror mine.
happy days

Post by happy days »

My car does exactly the same. I think the transfer box issues related more to a clunking upon take off going forward than not releasing in reverse. I quite often find myself yelling 'come on, come on!' when trying to reverse uphill in reverse into a parking space for example. I find sometimes that a jab on the throttle releases the drive and then it can be controlled a little more. But it's certainly no first gear creep like you would expect.

It is the only fault I can find in the McCann, tbh.
Macan S D
718 S