Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col M

Post by Col M »

pmg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm I think it is WLTP that triggers changes in the engines. I am expecting the Macan to move to the base Panamera 3.0 single turbo engine for the Macan S (current S engine twin turbo) and the 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo for the Macan Turbo. what remains to be seen is whether there will be output and mpg differences say between USA and UK for emission regs reasons.
Yes he said it was the 3.0l from the Panamera with 348hp
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble

nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Col M wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:16 pm
pmg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm I think it is WLTP that triggers changes in the engines. I am expecting the Macan to move to the base Panamera 3.0 single turbo engine for the Macan S (current S engine twin turbo) and the 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo for the Macan Turbo. what remains to be seen is whether there will be output and mpg differences say between USA and UK for emission regs reasons.
Yes he said it was the 3.0l from the Panamera with 348hp
Ah, so Audi derived unit with around 350 PS as previously reported then!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Guys, don’t stress... this infamous Audi engine is an incredible feat of engineering and has many interchangeable components. It might be that Audi provides the complete engine and Porsche adds a plastic cover with a beautifully embossed logo. Or Audi might provide engine block, with crankshaft, conrods cylinders and pistons, while Porsche might decide to make diff cylinder heads, intake manifold, exhaust, eng mgmt system, single turbo, twin turbo, there is large number of permutations. E.g. 2.9V6 (Macan turbo) is the same engine block as 3.0V6 (Macan S), just has different pistons to reduce compression ration to be able to withstand higher Turbo boost pressure.

It is all about interoperability to keep costs down and engineering alchemy to arrive with the best combination for any given vehicle. All major vehicle groups do that. How do you think VW rescued Porsche from incinerating cash in the engineering labs, to a highly profitable make?

Anyway, I ordered Macan S, as I want max torque at the lower rpm, so I don’t have to rev it high to move briskly off the line.

My current car delivers max torque at 1’200 RPM - small turbo for low RPM , big turbo for high RPM - it goes like a rocket!

New Macan S 3.0V6 (Panamera/Audi S4 engine) delivers max torque of 450Nm at 1340 rpm, which is still fine for me.

The question is if Porsche engineers focussed on changing Audi engine characteristics at all, or just ‘followed the source’. I suspect, they followed the source and focussed on other important elements.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Mr Pivot has it. I test drove an A7 with what I think will be the same unit - very relaxed effortless power delivery and very refined too. Nothing to fret over here.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

A kinder view.

2019 Porsche Macan First Drive Review: Sharper Act - CarBuzz
https://apple.news/AaCIMqQduTMGaJNsgqBeljQ
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

This a very positive review from Top Gear:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/macan-0
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Sportsdesign front end looks a bit weird to me with the angular sloping line upwards in the side air intakes. Prefer the standard bumper.

autogefuhl:
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Orangebulldog wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 am Sportsdesign front end looks a bit weird to me with the angular sloping line upwards in the side air intakes. Prefer the standard bumper.
I was just flipping back and forth in the configurator between stock and SD kit and the SD looks really quite ugly IMO. Even more so than it did in the old model.

I started out not liking the stock lip, but the look of the SD kit cures that, I think.

facelift stock.jpg

facelift sd kit.jpg

I then went on to spec a 2.0 facelift to my liking ... and managed £22.5k options - gulp! Brought the car to nearly £69k All for a fancy telly, funny rear lights and 150 fewer horses than my current ride!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

In green :)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Semerka wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:58 am This a very positive review from Top Gear:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/macan-0
"Macan S. It uses an Audi-shared 3.0-litre V6 turbo unit, good for 349bhp, up 14bhp from the old Macan S. Official 0-62mph is 5.1sec, but this is Porsche-official, so in actual fact this is a sub-five seconds car, on a good day. Porsche is often a little pessimistic with the data it quotes."
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver