Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Fascinating exchange of arguments [emoji102][emoji897][emoji3047]

For me, my new Porsche has to meet the following criteria: 1 grin factor, 2 utility, 3 quality.
Macan S ticks all boxes. Sadly, Macan 2.0 ticks only 2&3, so it would be an unnecessary compromise. Macan Turbo on the other hand would be an overkill for me. Decision made.

So decide what you want and take it for a ride to verify for yourself. Fortunately, we all have slightly different requirements and different things press our caveman buttons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Miopyk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm 2.0L Macan = Shopping Trolly
3.0L Macan = Fast Shopping Trolly that sounds good and goes even better (especially the GTS)
3.6L Macan = Pay the guy that owns the 2.0L Macan to get the shopping cause I'm too busy having fun

* trolley *

:roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 pm
Miopyk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm 2.0L Macan = Shopping Trolly
3.0L Macan = Fast Shopping Trolly that sounds good and goes even better (especially the GTS)
3.6L Macan = Pay the guy that owns the 2.0L Macan to get the shopping cause I'm too busy having fun

* trolley *

:roll:
AHA!! A fellow grammarian and spelling perfectionist! You, sir, get a thumbs up! :geek:
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Pivot wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:37 pm Fascinating exchange of arguments [emoji102][emoji897][emoji3047]

For me, my new Porsche has to meet the following criteria: 1 grin factor, 2 utility, 3 quality.
Macan S ticks all boxes. Sadly, Macan 2.0 ticks only 2&3, so it would be an unnecessary compromise. Macan Turbo on the other hand would be an overkill for me. Decision made.

So decide what you want and take it for a ride to verify for yourself. Fortunately, we all have slightly different requirements and different things press our caveman buttons!

I do agree with this, and while the 2L would be plenty powerful enough for me, for the minimal additional outlay (for a car at this price point) the S with its V6 will sound much more like a Porsche should, and go much more like a Porsche should.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I had a loaner 2.0 recently whilst our McCann was in the workshop. It wasn't bad compared to the SD; you could definitely feel the lighter front end compared to the diesel lump, but it certainly was not as refined. The engine needed to be revved quite far up the range to get anywhere quickly, and at mid to high revs it sounded 'rough' to me. The diesel just suits my driving style better using torque from low revs to progress swiftly.

I understand that this is a 2.0 v 3.0 discussion, and that the SD motor will be considerably heavier than the 3.0, but I did notice the difference in the lighter motor on the twisties. Wife quite liked it, but maybe that was down to the colour... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

nozydog wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 am
Pivot wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:37 pm Fascinating exchange of arguments [emoji102][emoji897][emoji3047]

I do agree with this, and while the 2L would be plenty powerful enough for me, for the minimal additional outlay (for a car at this price point) the S with its V6 will sound much more like a Porsche should, and go much more like a Porsche should.
Without a doubt. It's why you don't hear much about the 912 (4 pot version of the 911), although I believe it was pretty popular back in its day.
Paul

Post by Paul »

All this talk about marginal weight differences and on the nose handling between engines does make me chuckle a bit😉.

Add in just one one of my mates at, say, 85 kg, a full tank of fuel at 75 kg (don’t forget the bigger tank is a “must have”😉,) a sun-roof with its’s centre of gravity up in the clouds at, say, 25 kg, the “must have” spare wheel with associated tools and not forgetting the bose amp and all of a sudden you’re approaching 200kg just by following the optional extra advice freely given on this forum😂

The vast majority on here (myself included) won’t have the skill, experience or opportunity to get anywhere near the limits at which these, very marginal, differences will be noticed😳

Anyone experiencing front end understeer in a Macan on UK roads really needs their licence revoking.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Paul wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 am All this talk about marginal weight differences and on the nose handling between engines does make me chuckle a bit😉.

Add in just one one of my mates at, say, 85 kg, a full tank of fuel at 75 kg (don’t forget the bigger tank is a “must have”😉,) a sun-roof with its’s centre of gravity up in the clouds at, say, 25 kg, the “must have” spare wheel with associated tools and not forgetting the bose amp and all of a sudden you’re approaching 200kg just by following the optional extra advice freely given on this forum😂

The vast majority on here (myself included) won’t have the skill, experience or opportunity to get anywhere near the limits at which these, very marginal, differences will be noticed😳

Anyone experiencing front end understeer in a Macan on UK roads really needs their licence revoking.
I kind of agree with all this, but then people talk all the time about the Macan having class leading handling performance and leaving this and that for dead out on the road. The reality is that any modern shopping trolley can be driven well beyond the legal limits with only a modest skill level. Back in my early F3 days (as a race engineer, not driver) the young guns of the day (now all retired F1 drivers) used to race their sheds (I'm talking about Fiesta Pops, Nissan Micras etc) up and down the Welsh Lane from Silverstone to Banbury (the one that's now a 50 limit most of the way) and they were surprisingly quick and you needed to have a death wish to hang on to them, even in something properly quick like a 911. Do I really drive a 911 quicker along the back roads than our Nissan Qashqai? Well I could of course, but it would imply 3 figure speeds in order to go significantly quicker. FFS I don't even push the Qashqai to its limit because it would be anti-social, dangerous and obviously illegal!

Ultimately, all it does as you move up the performance chain is make it easier to drive faster and potentially get yourself into more trouble, but the legal limits are so low and there are so many bell-ends on the public roads that you can't really take any advantage of the performance except for drag racing things away from lights and roundabouts and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we all prefer the bigger engines or better still a Tesla EV :lol:

Only when you get into track day cars does handling performance really matter much at all. On the public road I actually value ride quality and refinement more highly than ultimate cornering grip. Very few modern cars handle badly at legal speeds.
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

(attempting to lighten the, unusual for this forum, rather acrimonious tone of this thread)....

Front end understeer is easy to avoid: just stay away from
“ the five UK cities with the most roundabouts are Milton Keynes, East Kilbride, Swindon, Basingstoke and Cwmbran. Milton Keynes has 130 roundabouts but the number is growing all the time.” (Google)

....after a rain shower lubricates the spilt diesel from truckers 😵😵.
Milton Keynes is my favourite - all those roundabouts linked by dual lane roads.😈
My local Swindon is safer - stationary, confused visitors at Magic Roundabout
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Deleted User 1874

Funrider wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 am (attempting to lighten the, unusual for this forum, rather acrimonious tone of this thread)....

Front end understeer is easy to avoid: just stay away from
“ the five UK cities with the most roundabouts are Milton Keynes, East Kilbride, Swindon, Basingstoke and Cwmbran. Milton Keynes has 130 roundabouts but the number is growing all the time.” (Google)

....after a rain shower lubricates the spilt diesel from truckers 😵😵.
Milton Keynes is my favourite - all those roundabouts linked by dual lane roads.😈
My local Swindon is safer - stationary, confused visitors at Magic Roundabout
Maybe that\s why you see so many Teslas in Milton Keynes?! I have to say driving through those roundabouts early on a Sunday morning on the way to the Snowdome is a lot of fun!