Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

nozydog wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm Interesting what you say about weight over the front end actually improving handling... the best handling Porsches, Cayman & 911 have zero engine weight over the front!! Granted these are completely different animals designed from the ground up as out and out sports cars, but the physics is similar!
As far as weight distribution goes, the best balance compromise for handling is somewhere around 45/55 front/rear i.e. most mid-engined cars. The 911 pushes that limit more toward 40/60 with some pros and cons.

One real measured data point I found for the Macan Turbo was a weight distribution of 57/43, which is far from ideal from a pure handling perspective. I'm not suggesting for a second that it should be competing against mid-engined sports cars, but it's fair to say that a lighter engine would benefit the handling balance in this case.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Interestingly, I owned a Cayman S with absolutely no options and loved it for its sheer driving enjoyment.

I owned a Macan SD with £13k of options and loved the interior quality of it, but didn’t love the drive - clearly it wasn’t a petrol variant though.

I now have a Giulia Quadrifoglio. At first, I noticed that the interior quality wasn’t as good as the Macan, but quickly forgot about that and now just love the sense of occasion and sheer driving enjoyment of it, just like the Cayman.

I guess it just depends what your priorities are and where you personally see value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Deleted User 1874

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm Interestingly, I owned a Cayman S with absolutely no options and loved it for its sheer driving enjoyment.

I owned a Macan SD with £13k of options and loved the interior quality of it, but didn’t love the drive - clearly it wasn’t a petrol variant though.

I now have a Giulia Quadrifoglio. At first, I noticed that the interior quality wasn’t as good as the Macan, but quickly forgot about that and now just love the sense of occasion and sheer driving enjoyment of it, just like the Cayman.

I guess it just depends what your priorities are and where you personally see value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly the point I was attempting to make with my old 2.4S. It even had the radio delete option from the factory! Obviously creature comforts are more important in a modern SUV, but if that was the main priority I very much doubt I would bother buying a Porsche. It's not like their interiors are anything special. Build quality is very good, but that should be consistent throughout the range.

That's not to say I would personally choose a 2.0 over the S, as there are obvious benefits to having the extra power and a better interior spec. I just find it a bit odd when some people suggest that a base model is not really a "proper" Porsche, even though it shares the exact same DNA minus all the bells and whistles. Or are we really suggesting that it's just the bells and whistles that make the car special? You can certainly make that argument about say a 3-series BMW, where the base model is truly awful while the top of the range M3 is pretty exciting. So maybe there is something in that.
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Peteski wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am
Its pros and cons, yes the lack of weight up front does give a slightly and I mean slightly sharper front end BUT in fact the extra weight up front of the V6 variants will improve the handling as a light front end will have more of a tendency to oversteer. The weight transfer of the V6’s to the front end when cornering will increase the grip on the tyres and thus improve handling.

So having a tight front end is not all it seems.
Good God! I would stick to your day job and leave vehicle dynamics to the pros.

Now since vehicle dynamics is my professional expertise I can tell you that adding extra weight on the front end (especially without reducing it somewhere else) is not good for handling performance. Extra weight up-front basically promotes more of an understeer balance in steady state cornering, plus a generally slower steering response. As you say this could potentially translate to oversteer with a lighter front end, but since when was oversteer a problem for a front engined AWD SUV?

The reality is that you would have less understeer and a sharper steering response with the lighter engine. Does it really matter on a large SUV? Probably not, but there's no need to invent some fantasy story that a heavier front end (and heavier total mass) will improve the handling!
Thanks for backing me up on this Peteski... Unlike you, I am not an expert, but what Col Lamb was saying made no sense whatsoever to me! :shock:
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Peteski wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 pm
That's not to say I would personally choose a 2.0 over the S, as there are obvious benefits to having the extra power and a better interior spec.
Engine aside, is there actually any difference in spec between the S and the (old) 2.0?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Makanik wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:21 pm
That's not to say I would personally choose a 2.0 over the S, as there are obvious benefits to having the extra power and a better interior spec.
Engine aside, is there actually any difference in spec between the S and the (old) 2.0?
From memory, very little. Maybe slightly bigger brakes?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Makanik wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:21 pm
Sorry, I meant upgrading to an S and spending £10K on options!
Deleted User 1874

nozydog wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am
Its pros and cons, yes the lack of weight up front does give a slightly and I mean slightly sharper front end BUT in fact the extra weight up front of the V6 variants will improve the handling as a light front end will have more of a tendency to oversteer. The weight transfer of the V6’s to the front end when cornering will increase the grip on the tyres and thus improve handling.

So having a tight front end is not all it seems.
Good God! I would stick to your day job and leave vehicle dynamics to the pros.

Now since vehicle dynamics is my professional expertise I can tell you that adding extra weight on the front end (especially without reducing it somewhere else) is not good for handling performance. Extra weight up-front basically promotes more of an understeer balance in steady state cornering, plus a generally slower steering response. As you say this could potentially translate to oversteer with a lighter front end, but since when was oversteer a problem for a front engined AWD SUV?

The reality is that you would have less understeer and a sharper steering response with the lighter engine. Does it really matter on a large SUV? Probably not, but there's no need to invent some fantasy story that a heavier front end (and heavier total mass) will improve the handling!
Thanks for backing me up on this Peteski... Unlike you, I am not an expert, but what Col Lamb was saying made no sense whatsoever to me! :shock:
You're welcome! I know Col Lamb has a lot more experience than me when it comes to speccing options on a Macan and I can see his point, but he did lose the plot on vehicle dynamics! It is the one thing where the base 2.0 has an inherent advantage with its considerably lighter engine. Maybe not the most important thing when considering a large SUV, but still an advantage nonetheless!
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

2.0L Macan = Shopping Trolly
3.0L Macan = Fast Shopping Trolly that sounds good and goes even better (especially the GTS)
3.6L Macan = Pay the guy that owns the 2.0L Macan to get the shopping cause I'm too busy having fun

:-)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Miopyk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm 2.0L Macan = Shopping Trolly
3.0L Macan = Fast Shopping Trolly that sounds good and goes even better (especially the GTS)
3.6L Macan = Pay the guy that owns the 2.0L Macan to get the shopping cause I'm too busy having fun

:-)
:lol: