Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Retired wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm
I have to say I find the tone of this post condescending and unpleasant. You have an opinion and should share it, but saying that should anyone disagree with it they are only 'buying a badge' is wrong.

+1.

Col, you are a great bloke, but I agree with what Reired has written above.

But we have seen these opinionated thoughts of yours before on many threads. I think that you are being a mischievous rascal and looking to provoke a reaction. ;)

Is Clarkson a hero of yours? :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Paul

Post by Paul »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:53 pm
I have to say I find the tone of this post condescending and unpleasant. You have an opinion and should share it, but saying that should anyone disagree with it they are only 'buying a badge' is wrong.

+1.

But we have seen these opinionated thoughts of yours before on many threads. I think that you are being a mischievous rascal and looking to provoke a reaction. ;)

Ahhh, Simon....ever the diplomat👍😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

:lol: 👍
Simon

Caster

Post by Caster »

Always interesting to read these "are the base cars any good?" topics and particularly the ones relating to the 2.0L petrol model - often with comments from people (like myself) who've only driven the 237 bhp model and not the 252 bhp one so, their thoughts on performance could be taken with a pinch of salt!

FWIW I reckon folk should have test drives of Macans they might fancy, then just get the model they want, with options that suit, even if they're pretty minimal ones like mine - total SD price £52k and I'm still kicking myself for wasting £200 on the headlamp washers!. Plus I can honestly say I'm not kicking myself for not getting a different model or more options and I'm therefore not getting restless and wanting to change after 12 months like I've been with previous motors!

Just for info - link to post I did after testing a base SD. "Base SD Thoughts" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4046&hilit=base+sd+thoughts

Getting back to the subject of this thread - the 2.0L or petrol S will probably be ones I consider for Macan no 2 (maybe in a year or two when facelift out) and the 2.0L will be the first one I'll be wanting to try and fix a test drive in - could be tricky though as not many demo ones about.

Will be interesting to see if it just gives me more than my test drive of the 237 bhp model did - link to my post (please bear in mind I was new to Macans then!) "2.0L Test Drive" viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3040

At the end of the day all Macans will get you from A to B in style - some might do it faster, louder, comfier, plusher and with more aids etc but as far as I'm concerned I'm just as happy for those who have a Turbo Performance model (because they couldn't live with just a Turbo) as I am for those who are nicely suited with a 2.0L because they don't need a S etc?
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Well said, Dave, and nice to see you back posting on a regular basis :)

By the way, the 15hp uplift between the 237hp and the 252hp model is the same as the uplift from a 718 S to a 718 GTS (Cayman or Boxster) :ugeek:
Simon

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

As I have mentioned before, if straight line performance was one of the most important elements of your decision to buy a Macan then the 2.0T is not for you. If like us it is your main family car that gets you from A to B in comfort, style, luxury, etc with a decent bit of performance thrown in then the 2.0T fits the bill.

If I did not have children and the Macan was going to be my main car for its luggage carrying and higher driving position then I would probably go for the GTS because I do like my cars to be pretty rapid
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

It does sometimes feel like you can't express an opinion on this forum without being shot down. Everyone has a different point of view and that should be respected. I don't like the 2.0 one little bit but I gather from this thread there are people that love it and that's fine too.

Ladies & Gents the simple facts are the 2.0 is 2.5k less than the 3.0. In my mind why would you compromise on performance for that amount of money when you are spending 50k plus on a car. Also as I've said previously the residuals are worse on the 2 litres.

Sarge, in answer to your original question, from my point of view it's a no-brainer - buy the S.

The decision is entirely yours.

Arif
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

MacanArif wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 am It does sometimes feel like you can't express an opinion on this forum without being shot down. Everyone has a different point of view and that should be respected. I don't like the 2.0 one little bit but I gather from this thread there are people that love it and that's fine too.

Ladies & Gents the simple facts are the 2.0 is 2.5k less than the 3.0. In my mind why would you compromise on performance for that amount of money when you are spending 50k plus on a car. Also as I've said previously the residuals are worse on the 2 litres.

Sarge, in answer to your original question, from my point of view it's a no-brainer - buy the S.

The decision is entirely yours.

Arif
+1
GTS \o/ - sold :(
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Paul wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:53 pm

+1.

Ahhh, Simon....ever the diplomat👍😉
:lol:
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Another point.

If you bought the basic 2.0 Macan and put on some turbo wheels and a turbo badge would 90% of the population be ably to tell the difference between it and a £90,000 Macan turbo PP ...........probably not.