Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

Luke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm
A basic Audi is not the only horrible car.

Take a 2.0 or an S and add nothing or just bling and its horrible to drive.

Uncomfortable seats, hard ride, heavy to park, terrible rear view and lights that hardly illuminate any road, yep nobody should consider buying a poorly specced Macan.
In essence, forum advice are often really rather exaggerated and this is a good example.

I've owned a Macan Turbo with all the bells and whistles and performance options. I've also driven 2.0 Macan bare bones. YES, there is off course a difference, but the basic seats, coil suspension with big wheels are all pretty okay and it's still a great car. It gives a good feeling also to save a bit of money and for residual outside of enthusiast forums there are hardly any must have options. The price is in the end what counts.

^^^^👍👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Luke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm
A basic Audi is not the only horrible car.

Take a 2.0 or an S and add nothing or just bling and its horrible to drive.

Uncomfortable seats, hard ride, heavy to park, terrible rear view and lights that hardly illuminate any road, yep nobody should consider buying a poorly specced Macan.
In essence, forum advice are often really rather exaggerated and this is a good example.

I've owned a Macan Turbo with all the bells and whistles and performance options. I've also driven 2.0 Macan bare bones. YES, there is off course a difference, but the basic seats, coil suspension with big wheels are all pretty okay and it's still a great car. It gives a good feeling also to save a bit of money and for residual outside of enthusiast forums there are hardly any must have options. The price is in the end what counts.

If you want a really smooth ride with a responsive drivetrain and low mpg you should start looking into EVs instead :D :lol:
Anyone considering a no frills Macan should start off being very cautious in their build up of their car.

On UK roads I found that a Macan on standard springs with 21”, 8 way seats and no PS+ is sh1t to drive, it is a harsh ride, thumps and bumps over uneven road surfaces and is extreemly uncomfortable, but that is the results of me test driving such a Macan.

What I will continue to stress is for any buyer to include the basics extras of PASM, 14/18 way seats, PS+ if they then choose to ignore the advice then it is up to them as I have done my bit.

Anyone used to rock hard suspension and the likes of Beamer run flat tyres may find it totally acceptable to have a basic no-frills Macan, but one thing for certain nobody would buy such a Macan unless they were buying a badge.

The only way anyone can verify if this very basic sort of seating and ride comfort is for them is to test drive a nonfrills Macan, this is going to be very difficult as not many OPC are only going to have a no frills Macan unless that is they are trying to keep the cost under £50k.

As always the best advice I can give any prospective buyer is for them to have a long test drive of a Macan with the same seating, suspension, steering setup as they intend to specify.

Presume things will be OK is potentially not going to give the setup the Macan deserves.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

If you're looking to stick to a budget you probably don't specify 21" wheels. The ride will be much better on smaller wheels and steel suspension.

Some people like PS+ and some don't. I don't, even with big wheels.

I have to say I ind the tone of this post condescending and unpleasant. You have an opinion and should share it, but saying that should anyone disagree with it they are only 'buying a badge' is wrong.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Retired wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm
I have to say I ind the tone of this post condescending and unpleasant. You have an opinion and should share it, but saying that should anyone disagree with it they are only 'buying a badge' is wrong.
I agree, it happens on a lot of other threads also, where the certain self righteous individuals talk down to a belittle others for their choices.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I cannot comment on the difference between the engines in the two versions since I have not driven any of those two.
But with regards to "no frills" Macan, we have seen plenty of such Macans on our travels, checking them out in car parks. So obviously lots of people do buy them as they are still a good quality / well engineered product. :-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
microbe

Post by microbe »

I test drove a 2.0 Macan, albeit for just an hour and was ready to order one but was told the dealership had no build slots but I could have an S or GTS. I am sure we could have lived with the 2.0 but I am (stll) very satisfied with my S
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
VanB

Post by VanB »

My wife has the 2.0 in her Q5 albeit with 30 less HP and it is definitely no slouch. OK not a patch on the GTS but still plenty of poke for everyday use. MPG around 24-25 but mostly in stop start traffic. Would I have one? No. But not because it's a bad car it's just not a very Porsche like power unit. In all other respects I think a 2.0 would be fine as a daily runaround although I do thin it is too close in price to the S
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

Macananon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 pm
Retired wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm
I agree, it happens on a lot of other threads also, where the certain self righteous individuals talk down to a belittle others for their choices.
+1 (although I had tried to get my point accross using irony and humour 😉..)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Retired wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm If you're looking to stick to a budget you probably don't specify 21" wheels. The ride will be much better on smaller wheels and steel suspension.

Some people like PS+ and some don't. I don't, even with big wheels.
I agree. I was recently loaned an SD with air and PASM on 21 inch whilst my S with steel, no PASM, on 18 inch with all seasons was in dock. The ride on the SD at comfort setting was very very slightly softer over poor surfaces than my car, but felt a bit floaty and there was much more road noise. I don't have PS+ but have never found the steering at all heavy even at very low speeds.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I don't think you need air for that floaty feeling. I am running 21s with PASM no air and it can float a bit on Comfort. A comfortable float. The missus noticed the noise. Didn't bother me.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)