Help wanted on wheel options

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Paul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 pm
Tall Phil wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 pm :D All black Spyders with AS tyres. I like all black alloys :D
+1 on the AS tyres based on what you say....spyders (black or standard) look good but are a bugger to clean.
Hi Paul,

I noticed you had 19 inch on your SD. Any noticeable difference in comfort with RS spyders?

Tom.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Orangebulldog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 pm Option 2. Try Michelin Cross Climate if available as they have a slightly more biased "summer" tyre feel when running in above 7C temperatures. In my humble opinion.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately Michelin does not make the Cross Climate in Macan tyre sizes. Only the Lattitude Tour HP AS. Any idea if these are any good?
I have no personal experience of the Tour HP AS. This maybe of interest - http://tyreselector.porsche.com/widget/gb
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:50 am
Orangebulldog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 pm Option 2. Try Michelin Cross Climate if available as they have a slightly more biased "summer" tyre feel when running in above 7C temperatures. In my humble opinion.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately Michelin does not make the Cross Climate in Macan tyre sizes. Only the Lattitude Tour HP AS. Any idea if these are any good?
I have no personal experience of the Tour HP AS. This maybe of interest - http://tyreselector.porsche.com/widget/gb
Great tool, thanks!
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Option 2. Cleaning isn’t that hard and their worth it😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Porsche don't approve a winter tyre for 21" rims on the Macan.

All Seasons are always a compromise, so I'd go for option 3, then you know you have the best tyres on for the prevailing conditions, summer and winter.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
happy days

Post by happy days »

Good tool, but I see the 718 isn't currently an option?
Macan S D
718 S
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

So I went for Option 1. Have been driving my 21 inch wheels with winter tires and just today got my new 20 inch rs spyders with michelin lattitude sport 3 summers. So I wanted to share some feedback.

After all I have read, some saying they couldn’t feel the difference between 20 or 21 inch, I defintely can (and I have pasm and air). The firmness/handling is there, but the harshness is gone! And this despite winters being even softer compound. I spent a very regular 5 hours in my car today, and I could not be happier. It finally feels like the alrounder GT car I was looking for. The 21 inch wheels look better, but If you live in a country with bad roads and spend alot of time in your macan, go for 20 inch maximum.
Orangebulldog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 pm Hi all,

I would like your help in making the following choice:

So I drive a 2018 Turbo with the turbo exterior package. This includes the 21 inch turbo wheels (painted high gloss black on the inside).

I love the look, though the slightly harsher ride compared to 20 inch rs spyders that I testdrove, is spoiling it for me. I absolutely adore this car as my daily driver, but I drive 40.000 miles per year, mostly on long stretches (5 hours/day happens a couple of times a week), so I need comfort too, for when I’m on one of those trips. So I specced air suspension and noise insulating glass. Being able to put pasm in Comfort is great on highways, and once off the highway, I hit Sport or Sport plus and have some fun. But in Comfort, with these wheels, it feels a bit wrong: the suspension is nice and soft enough, but the low tires are too harsh on roadimperfections. And its ruining the perfect picture I have of the car.

I cant sell the wheels, because they are part of the package, so I need to have them if and when I sell the car. I have to get wintertires for winter here in Belgium. We don’t get alot of snow, but its sufficiently cold, wet and slippery to change to wintertires for safety and grip. For skiing trips or those couple of snow laden days, we have an AWD Volvo to put at risk on these roads. So the Macan shouldn’t really see any deep snow.

Now, with all this in mind, I’m pondering three options:

Option 1: michelin winter tires on the existing 21 inch wheels and buy new 20 inch RS Spyders with summer tires to use the remaining 8 months
Option 2: get RS spyders with all season tires and drive around in that all year round
Option 3: keep the 21 for 8 months on summers and buy a set of 19 inch turbo wheels for winter (narrower tire/higher sidewall for better wintergrip)

What would you do?

Thanks,

Tom.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Going by Nick’s advice on Winters and 21” rims, I think that by going Option 1 you have invalidated your Porsche warranty.

Porsche are very fickle about fitment of non approved parts and accessories.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags