Help wanted on wheel options

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Hi all,

I would like your help in making the following choice:

So I drive a 2018 Turbo with the turbo exterior package. This includes the 21 inch turbo wheels (painted high gloss black on the inside).

I love the look, though the slightly harsher ride compared to 20 inch rs spyders that I testdrove, is spoiling it for me. I absolutely adore this car as my daily driver, but I drive 40.000 miles per year, mostly on long stretches (5 hours/day happens a couple of times a week), so I need comfort too, for when I’m on one of those trips. So I specced air suspension and noise insulating glass. Being able to put pasm in Comfort is great on highways, and once off the highway, I hit Sport or Sport plus and have some fun. But in Comfort, with these wheels, it feels a bit wrong: the suspension is nice and soft enough, but the low tires are too harsh on roadimperfections. And its ruining the perfect picture I have of the car.

I cant sell the wheels, because they are part of the package, so I need to have them if and when I sell the car. I have to get wintertires for winter here in Belgium. We don’t get alot of snow, but its sufficiently cold, wet and slippery to change to wintertires for safety and grip. For skiing trips or those couple of snow laden days, we have an AWD Volvo to put at risk on these roads. So the Macan shouldn’t really see any deep snow.

Now, with all this in mind, I’m pondering three options:

Option 1: michelin winter tires on the existing 21 inch wheels and buy new 20 inch RS Spyders with summer tires to use the remaining 8 months
Option 2: get RS spyders with all season tires and drive around in that all year round
Option 3: keep the 21 for 8 months on summers and buy a set of 19 inch turbo wheels for winter (narrower tire/higher sidewall for better wintergrip)

What would you do?

Thanks,

Tom.
Last edited by Orangebulldog on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eakae

Post by eakae »

Given your comments, use of second car etc., I’d opt for option 2. If in Belgium you’re legally obliged to have winter tyres in the winter then option 1.
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

eakae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm Given your comments, use of second car etc., I’d opt for option 2. If in Belgium you’re legally obliged to have winter tyres in the winter then option 1.
Yes - agree with this.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Option 2. Try Michelin Cross Climate if available as they have a slightly more biased "summer" tyre feel when running in above 7C temperatures. In my humble opinion.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 pm Option 2. Try Michelin Cross Climate if available as they have a slightly more biased "summer" tyre feel when running in above 7C temperatures. In my humble opinion.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately Michelin does not make the Cross Climate in Macan tyre sizes. Only the Lattitude Tour HP AS. Any idea if these are any good?
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

:D All black Spyders with AS tyres. I like all black alloys :D
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tall Phil wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 pm :D All black Spyders with AS tyres. I like all black alloys :D
+1 on the AS tyres based on what you say....spyders (black or standard) look good but are a bugger to clean.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Orangebulldog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 pm Option 2. Try Michelin Cross Climate if available as they have a slightly more biased "summer" tyre feel when running in above 7C temperatures. In my humble opinion.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately Michelin does not make the Cross Climate in Macan tyre sizes. Only the Lattitude Tour HP AS. Any idea if these are any good?
I have Michelin AS which are great. 👍
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

ScotMac wrote:
Orangebulldog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 pm
I have Michelin AS which are great. [emoji106]
+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I’d say option 3. Then you have the best of both worlds and don’t have to clean spyders.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016