LED Headlamp Conversion

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

PaulC wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:46 am I have a 2015 Macan S Diesel with standard Halogen Lights. Has anybody any experience of upgrading to High Power LEDs - are there Cambus issues?

I was thinking of using the LedPerf conversion kit.
I have these H7 Bulbs in my Cayman with no issues and the fog version in my Macan with no issues.

IMG_1556.JPG

Roddacom

Post by Roddacom »

To be honest, I don't know on either issue... They do work fine on my Macan S.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I appreciate it may be a bit OTT, and we all choose whether or not to abide by the regulations...but this is worth a read....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -headlamps
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Paul wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm I appreciate it may be a bit OTT, and we all choose whether or not to abide by the regulations...but this is worth a read....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -headlamps
Interesting link... this sentence in the first section:

If one places a HID “burner” (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

This could explain the cars I sometimes see coming towards me with a glare section in one headlight that looks like main beam. Nearly always older cars - often the sort that someone has decided to "upgrade" the lights.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

:roll: I wish my car has the auto dimming rear view mirror everytime I see one of those cars behind me.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

B737NGWS wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm
PaulC wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:46 am I have a 2015 Macan S Diesel with standard Halogen Lights. Has anybody any experience of upgrading to High Power LEDs - are there Cambus issues?

I was thinking of using the LedPerf conversion kit.
I have these H7 Bulbs in my Cayman with no issues and the fog version in my Macan with no issues.
Do you mean no issues apart from the inconvenient small print "not for use on public roads" on the bottom left hand of the box? :twisted:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Please note that these Philips versions are LED not HID. I personally would not touch aftermarket HID systems in my cars. They are easy to fit are of very good quality and are specifically designed to give a very sharp cut-off to avoid glare and dazzle. It is correct in that they do not have European approval and are only road legal in Japan. They were tested for angle and cutoff during last MOT at Porsche and passed.
They are superb in comparison to standard halogen H7s giving 1760 lumen in a crisp white not blue light. Hey, but we all choose which way we go...........................
vwprince

Post by vwprince »

Hi Everyone, new to this forum but very interest in this post as I just bought a new Macan with halogen headlights that I would like to upgrade to LED. Has anyone actually converted their H7 halogen headlight bulb with this Philips Ultinon H7 conversion kit for their headlight (not fog)? Interest to know how easy... plug and play? need canbus decoder? any light errors/flickering/radio interference issues?

Thanks!
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Be prepared to swap over aftermarket LED's at MOT time as some testers just wont pass aftermarket lamps.
The other thing to be careful of is your Porsche Warranty if you have it, most OPC's take a pragmatic view ie grills on my 997 meant that they would not cover the cooling system.
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
luvblobs

Post by luvblobs »

Hi
I may be a bit late in answering this issue but i have a Macan s with halogens and have just had a few weeks of disruption....as follows.
I changed my mains to LEDs with no issue. I went for cob LEDs as they are much better. The problems came when I changed my high beam H15 bulbs. Although they worked and the light was amazing there were 2 issues;

1. there was a trickle light even when the power was off meaning some people (at night) would report that I had left my sidelights on. I attempted to fit resistors to stop this happening but I mustn't have done it correctly because they were the same. I could probably have lived with this but....

2. this problem I couldn't live with. My alarm kept going off randomly. I even had the car diagnosed by Porsche who said that the fault was showing a bonnet (hood) switch activation but they also said that their computer was not showing any bulbs at all in my high beam side. They swapped out my bulbs to standard H15s and both faults were cured.

I have looked into buying new led or hid units but the wiring in the plugs are different so i've now given up. I am content (ish) with my led H7s and I rarely use the main H15s. I also have turned off my auto lights and simply run permanently with my low beams on to avoid the yellow H15s.
I look forward to my next car with full LEDs as standard.