Porsche Connect letter

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
johnd

Post by johnd »

Apologies if I'm only just catching up with something that's already been discussed ad nauseam, but just had a letter (dated 7 Dec 17) through from Porsche inviting me to 'Activate your free Connect services' and to expect an email with an activation link.

Now, my Macan is June 2016 and has Connect Plus which I'm using with its own SIM to show eg Google Earth, so I know that its CP is functioning as expected. It's also got real-time traffic as an icon, which seems reasonably accurate but I guess may well be coming from Google.

I'm sure that I activated something online after delivery but didn't need the potential hassle of the tracking etc so consciously didn't activate that aspect. But, whatever, the fact that I've now got this new letter maybe suggests that I didn't activate enough to get a Porsche ID (or maybe that's what I thought I'd done, but for some reason the process didn't complete fully). And maybe this would explain why I've never been able to see any online map updates.

Guess I'm curious about 3 things:

1. What's triggered this letter to be sent out now? Is it part of a new Porsche campaign to make sure that everyone that's eligible has actually registered?

2. It talks about the 'inclusive 24-month period' and implies this is free. Wonder if this starts on activation or is backdated to delivery of the car (which would only give me 6 months' free use). And then how much is it?

3. Just curious about the real-time traffic. Sounds like there will be a second (?3rd with the TMC/FM source, which I guess is still there somewhere). Do I get to choose somewhere which source I use? And how do the Porsche and GE RTT updates compare?
Last edited by johnd on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

andreas

Post by andreas »

I'll be interested in the replies to these questions. As a new Porsche owner, I have to say that the whole Connect system is impenetrably complicated. I really can't believe why Porsche find it impossible to explain it in terms which a simple graduate can understand.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I gave up and have made no use at all of Connect, Connect +, Apple CarPlay or whatever in my Panamera... :roll:

Still enjoying the simple pleasure of driving a quality, sporty saloon though! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col M

Post by Col M »

I'm still trying to follow the two systems... there's PCM Connect. This provides the online information to the Communication Module (Head Unit) traffic flow Google search and together with the PCM Connect app provides capture of location & appointment info on your phone to create routes & POI information on the SatNav.

Porsche Car Connect is a second service provided by Vodafone and permits two way communications between the Car& you (Porsche Car Connect app) where you can see car state and even command the car to lock or fold in mirrors.
Car & Vodafone Automotive UK Limited for 24 monitoring of the car for:
1. Breakdown and emergency (air bag deployment)
2. Theft (requires additional GPS fobs... originally Cobra system)

This system has to be activated online with Vodafonetelematics.com using a code issued by Porsche which you purchased by selecting the Connect Package Plus. This gave a 2 year subscription to the communication between the Macan and you. Vodafone Safety & Security monitoring would have to be purchased online subsequently.

I suspect you're reaching the end of the 2 year subscription.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col M wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:53 pm
This system has to be activated online with Vodafonetelematics.com using a code issued by Porsche which you purchased by selecting the Connect Package Plus. This gave a 2 year subscription to the communication between the Macan and you.
According to Vodafone, only the first year is free.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Col M

Post by Col M »

I think there was a Porsche Connect Plus 2 option in 2016?
Paul

Post by Paul »

From memory, connect plus became standard circa mid 2016.

As an aside, I’m really glad I didnt bother; all I see is confusion and grief from most people on here who have connect plus (with the possible exception of goron who did write a very informative post on the subject around 12 months back - worth searching for!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
johnd

Post by johnd »

Don't know how well this will work, but there was a glossy 2-page flyer with the letter - see attachments.

Pretty sure this isn't Vodafone - it's not tracking etc - see the (very familiar and fairly pointless I suspect) list of features. Having received the letter, it's more curiosity than anything else.. I think that part of the trouble is that they've invented/released the service, but now can't think of anything really useful to do with it. I'm curious about the real-time traffic, but suspect that it's no different to what I have already on GE. And the OTA map updates would be nice but TBH hardly a life-changer. Maybe there'll be some new services in future that will be of more value.

I really don't think it's early notice of any renewal - that would be over 6 months' early! And there's no hint of renewal, just the implication that I haven't already signed up for it!

Connectp1.JPG

Connectp2.JPG

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col M

Post by Col M »

Oh that's what I think of as PCM or Navi Connect. I love the live traffic flow it's displaying on the map and rerouting based on it saved me some hour of delay when it instructed me to leave the A421 on the way from Bedford to Milton Keynes this morning. I frequently use the Google search for destination new client businesses, RSBP reserves etc.

I activated car connect yesterday and this gave a complementary 9 day trial of remote control aspect... which will then cost £99/year

alternatively
Safety & Security is £235/year and with Remote as well is £266/year
johnd

Post by johnd »

Col M wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 pm Oh that's what I think of as PCM or Navi Connect.
That's what's confusing me (easily done though :oops: ).

I do have real-time traffic on Google Earth, so where's that coming from (with an screen icon to toggle it on/off)? Having looked into it a little more, I don't think that GE has a RTT layer any more - that's Google Maps, which is something different. And it's not TMC, as far as I'm aware.

But in 18 months, I've never seen a map update on offer.

The fact I've been sent the letter kind of suggests that I'm not currently registered, but I've got the real-time traffic. Ah well, something to while away the time on a cold December day.

Real mpg at Fuelly