Porsche Connect letter

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andreas

Post by andreas »

And isn't Google Earth going to be dropped by Porsche next year?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

This system is, indeed, really, really complicated.
A visit to my dealer, Portsmouth, to have the winter wheels fitted, gave me time with my salesman to set up the entire thing for me. So now PCM Connect works on my iPhone. And in the Macan I can see, not only traffic jams, but also parking, with spaces and prices (if the car park is on-line) and filling stations, with prices, and the news, and flight times and train times and, for all I know, the cost of a burger at the local greasy spoon.
The point is: you have paid a lot for your Macan. Get the dealer to set it up for you and explain it to you.

I was told, at the same time, that Porsche intends during 2018 to merge Car Connect and PCM Connect so that owners will only have one account, namely My Porsche, which will do everything. Well, that's what I was told ....

Good luck.
DS delivered 30th September 2016. Final spec code PHFK81G7.
Retired

Post by Retired »

johnd wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:04 pm
Col M wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 pm Oh that's what I think of as PCM or Navi Connect.
That's what's confusing me (easily done though :oops: ).

I do have real-time traffic on Google Earth, so where's that coming from (with an screen icon to toggle it on/off)? Having looked into it a little more, I don't think that GE has a RTT layer any more - that's Google Maps, which is something different. And it's not TMC, as far as I'm aware.

But in 18 months, I've never seen a map update on offer.

The fact I've been sent the letter kind of suggests that I'm not currently registered, but I've got the real-time traffic. Ah well, something to while away the time on a cold December day.

RTTI has nothing to do with Google / Google earth. RTTI is supplied by a company called 'Inrix' which supplies driver / traffic systems / data.

Google earth is just an overlay of sat images.

Google search for dest input, RTTI Google earth and sundry apps (fuel locations, train info, weather, music streaming and so on) need data access.

This are various possibilities for this:

via your mobile, create a hot spot on your phone and the car will connect to it to access data

if your phone supports BT SAP(Sim Access Profile) the car will use the SIM card to access data

put a SIM in the car and use that to access data

in later cars there is a built in SIM which comes with two years free use which supports all Connect data requirements but not access to data via the car's wifi hotspot. I you want to use the car's wifi hotspot to access the internet then you must pay extra (£39 or £37) a month to Porsche (ridiculous) or by your own SIM card and install it. This will then be used for ALL data req'ts.

PCM Connect, among other things lets you sit at home and input,e.g., a destination which is then transferred to the car's PCM when you get in the car. When you drive to the destination and exit the car you will have the opportunity for 'last mile' navigation to be continued on your phone.

PCM Connect does not provide data access for your car.

If you disable RTTI you can use TMC data which is carried by an RDS radio channel.

Online map updates are limited to, I think, 3 three map segments ( UK is broken into several segments) a year. You get a full update once a year by visiting an OPC although they seem not to know this).

You have to plough through the registration process for all this to work and then pair PCM Connect on your phone with the PCM in your car. You get the pairing code when you register.

All a bit of a mess really.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

For earlier cars with Connect plus, they enabled things like live traffic before they sorted out the Porsche Connect portal which is why you have it even though you haven’t signed up yet. Somewhere on here I posted a review/details of every app and how to access it.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
johnd

Post by johnd »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am For earlier cars with Connect plus, they enabled things like live traffic before they sorted out the Porsche Connect portal which is why you have it even though you haven’t signed up yet.

Thanks, that's useful information that I wasn't aware of and would start to explain things. Thanks also to others who've responded - all helps to build a picture of how Connect/Connect+ works. May be moot though if indeed GE were to disappear - that's the only aspect of Connect+ that I really like and use at present.

Oh, and just to comment that I do think that a lot of the confusion is generated by marketeers who try to insist on branding or using a specific term but in multiple contexts, ie 'Connect' in this instance. I see a similar thing in my day job, where one branding is used by a manufacturer in four different contexts (local software; a local hardware device; a bundle of both of these items; and an online cloud service). It's true that they're all - in a sense - related, but huge potential for confusion when trying to respond to terse and often ill-informed support tickets from customers.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
VanB

Post by VanB »

My first year’s subscription to c+ has just expired so no GE on expiration despite having a data sim that still functions. Can’t be arsed to renew it as the car will be going in the next few weeks but I do miss both GE and live traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused...

Gave up using the functions ages ago, the only thing I use nowadays is the option to input satnav addresses via iPhone and transfer those over when in the car.
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Connect + a lot of dosh for f**k all in my opinion for those of us that had to shell out £800 for it. Oh well.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

We've been invited back for a tutorial so they obviously have had a few complaints.

I'm still not sure what it's all about, the sat nav works really well and the sound system is by far the best I've eve heard in a car.

I might read that chapter in the manual in case i'm missing anything I want.

Haven't noticed anything i'd pay extra for if it hadn't been included.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab