Frozen washer jets

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 pm
Firstmacan wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm
Agree with happy days, not good enough for a 56 k car.
Nothing to do with the cost of the car. It's about poor preparation and not following the manufacturer's recommendations.
So having recently filled the bottle with a mixture suitable for the conditions at the time am I meant to empty it and start again when: if so, is there a quick way of doing so?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I know, not easy if the wrong strength is in the bottle. I tend to use a year-round mix that is suitable down to -20C.
You could siphon it out, or use an aqua vac with a small tube attached, or use the washers to empty the bottle down to half full then top up with a full strength mix.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

‘Tis academic now as OPC should have done just that when servicing yesterday. 🤞🏻
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

2hrs+ driving and not once did the jets work.

Pretty poor for a car that cost £67K and yet I understand they get tested in near Arctic conditions - clearly without using the jets!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Bazza06 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 pm 2hrs+ driving and not once did the jets work.

Pretty poor for a car that cost £67K and yet I understand they get tested in near Arctic conditions - clearly without using the jets!
Yet another blaming the car when it is the operator at fault!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 am
Bazza06 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 pm 2hrs+ driving and not once did the jets work.

Yet another blaming the car when it is the operator at fault!
How’s that? If I have screen wash with anti-freeze I’d expect them not to be defeated at -3 temperature. Plus I cleared the front jets before driving. The rears worked after a time but not the fronts.
Last edited by Bazza06 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It's quite simple. If the fluid is the correct strength it will not freeze. It's a bit like our national transport systems coming to a grinding halt when we have a little bit of slightly cold weather, cold by our definition. You don't hear of drivers in countries where it's properly cold complaining about their washers not working, regardless of the price of their cars.

I suspect that a lot of UK drivers top up their washer systems with plain water when they run out, because they are unprepared and can't be bothered to get the correct mix. Or worse still, add some washing up liquid then wonder why the system gets clogged with slimy bacterial growth a few weeks later. Small wonder then that the washers don't work when the temperature drops a fraction below zero. But highly amusing for our friends in Scandinavia and most of Europe.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Guy

Post by Guy »

Of course if you just throw in some winter concentrate based on a sub-zero (or extreme) forecast, it wont actually enter the pipes until you operate all the washers a little. Could be a factor for some, depending on usage.

It's interesting to see how cheap the concentrated stuff is versus 'ready-mix' in this country. It seems that people can't be bother to 'mix their own' any more, which is possibly why they are not reading the label and making an educated choice about mixing strength versus level of protection.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I use Sonax clearview.

So far no problems, I have calibrated an old one litre milk bottle so I get the mix ratio is correct, add the Sonax up to the mark and top up with the water out of the filter.

BTW if you syphon the fluid out please do not do the sucking on tube method. Fill up the tube with plain water and keep finger over the end of the tube you are not inserting into the washer bottle and as you feed in the open tube keep the tube end that has your finger over it at the same level, then when ready lower the fingered end and release the finger.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 am I tend to use a year-round mix that is suitable down to -20C.
This sounds like the ideal solution (no pun intended!) and I think Paul does similar. So no mucking around with having to alter the mixture during the year?

What fluid do you use, Nick?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018