Frozen washer jets

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 am It's quite simple. If the fluid is the correct strength it will not freeze. It's a bit like our national transport systems coming to a grinding halt when we have a little bit of slightly cold weather, cold by our definition. You don't hear of drivers in countries where it's properly cold complaining about their washers not working, regardless of the price of their cars.

I suspect that a lot of UK drivers top up their washer systems with plain water when they run out, because they are unprepared and can't be bothered to get the correct mix. Or worse still, add some washing up liquid then wonder why the system gets clogged with slimy bacterial growth a few weeks later. Small wonder then that the washers don't work when the temperature drops a fraction below zero. But highly amusing for our friends in Scandinavia and most of Europe.
I don't know what the issue was, well, clearly there was a blockage somewhere that didn't affect the rear jets.

As I was going to a funeral I was conscious to ensure everything was filled as best I could to avoid freezing. I had poured hot water into the front jets before the journey to try and clear any ice that may have formed that I couldn't see but that had no effect.

I agree that it must be amusing to those in other countries that regularly suffer cold climates. I used to travel to Sweden for work and was never delayed by temps much lower than what we are experiencing.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 am I tend to use a year-round mix that is suitable down to -20C.
This sounds like the ideal solution (no pun intended!) and I think Paul does similar. So no mucking around with having to alter the mixture during the year?

What fluid do you use, Nick?
Any concentrate that can be diluted according to time of year. Have recently been using Shell 5l. It should be phosphate free and suitable for plastic headlights, according to the manual.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Nick.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
JonNic

Post by JonNic »

Has anybody worked out an easy way of filling up the washer fluid bottle yet? The angle of the bonnet makes getting a 5litre bottle in there impossible!

PS - the off-road button works brilliantly on the snow. Moves more traction to the front wheels and keeps the revs higher to maintain momentum. I cruised past a couple of ‘proper’ 4x4s up my nearest hill yesterday which they were stuck on - and I’m still on summer tyres (I know - I was being tight!)
Final code : www.porsche-code.com/PHE4JHQ0
Col M

Post by Col M »

JonNic wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 pm Has anybody worked out an easy way of filling up the washer fluid bottle yet? The angle of the bonnet makes getting a 5litre bottle in there impossible!

PS - the off-road button works brilliantly on the snow. Moves more traction to the front wheels and keeps the revs higher to maintain momentum. I cruised past a couple of ‘proper’ 4x4s up my nearest hill yesterday which they were stuck on - and I’m still on summer tyres (I know - I was being tight!)

s-l300 (1).jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hopkins-Spil ... 2491532199
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Out of stock! :roll: :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

On Amazon but a bit more expensive: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hopkins-Spill- ... XCJPWA2XRR
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

I wonder if this would do the trick too......😂😂😂😳

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Ladies- ... nnel&psc=1
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Paul wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 pm I wonder if this would do the trick too......😂😂😂😳

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Ladies- ... nnel&psc=1
Water would certainly be at body temperature but I don't know any female well enough to ask if A) they can pass 7.5 litres and B) would they mind squatting over my washer bottle :D
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

I use SONAX Anti-Freeze Concentrate screenwash 1 litre bottle - recommended by Porsche, purchased from eBay, have had no problems during this cold spell

Sales quote below

SONAX Anti-Freeze Concentrate screenwash - The reliable cleaning and freeze protection additive for the windscreen washer unit. Removes oil, soot, road salt and other typical winter dirt. With outstanding cleaning power for rapidly removing smears. Prevents nozzles from icing up, and the wiper water from freezing on the windscreen. Suitable for fan spray nozzles. Does not affect paintwork, chrome, rubber or plastics. Ideal for high quality XENON headlamps and light diffusing plastic headlamps in clear-glass optic. Bitter tasting additive makes it child safe. With lemon fragrance.

Yields up to 3 litres of windscreen washer antifreeze

SONAX is used by Porsche and Audi in their vehicles