Frozen washer jets

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

The GTS with AS tyres was certainly very sure-footed in the snow yesterday when others were struggling to get u even small gradients. Does require a good wash now though!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have only really tried mine once in real snow but it was very good - as said, sure-footed with no drama - which is what we want. One of the reasons I bought the Macan.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Not bad in the snow yesterday. I think i should have used the off road button.
I think the problem with the washer jets is that there is no non-return valve in the system. The metal jets then get condensation and ice form in them. Either that or the washer motor froze up because the screenwash was too dilute.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Porsche sceeen wash does not contain any anti freeze additive. Neither has the Audi/Porsche recommended equivalent made by Dr OK Wack. I add Isopropyl Alcohol as required during the winter months. Five litres costs about £18 on eBay.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Ian.g wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 pm Not bad in the snow yesterday. I think i should have used the off road button.
I think the problem with the washer jets is that there is no non-return valve in the system. The metal jets then get condensation and ice form in them. Either that or the washer motor froze up because the screenwash was too dilute.
I considered off road the other day but I didn't know the consequences of pressing the button.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:45 pm
Ian.g wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 pm Not bad in the snow yesterday. I think i should have used the off road button.
I considered off road the other day but I didn't know the consequences of pressing the button.
I think it moves more power to the front wheels. It also seems to select sport plus suspension. I don't know if it does anything else. I am also sticking to manual mode with the gearbox. Hill descent isn't much use as it doesn't cut in until quite steep slopes (12% - whatever that is)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Ian.g wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 pm
Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:45 pm
I think it moves more power to the front wheels. It also seems to select sport plus suspension. I don't know if it does anything else. I am also sticking to manual mode with the gearbox. Hill descent isn't much use as it doesn't cut in until quite steep slopes (12% - whatever that is)
I tried reading the imanual but got fed up with the warnings not to drive into a hole etc.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Watch what anti freeze you use if you still have the OE Porsche stuff in the bottle as I have found to my cost on the 997 that some react to form a gunge - The Sonax stuff is fine, works well and if diluted in the summer is similar in price to the cheepie stuff
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

The problem I think is not with the heated jets, but with the fact that overnight the pipework will freeze up if the temperature is low enough. The bottle and pump can also freeze up. The only proper option is a good concentrated screenwash.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Spud

Post by Spud »

Dandock wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm Clearly British cold is different to German cold. 😳
I blame it on Brexit 😜
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1