Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Guy

Post by Guy »

happy days wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 am
Tom 2000 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am So does the X denote that particular part has been factory reconditioned or exchange is required? Not strictly the same thing.
Exchange required. If no exchange is possible, the dealer gets charged a horrendous surcharge.
That may be the case but I doubt it is the reason for the 'X'.

Where's the logic in defining a 'new' part by what happened to the part it replaced?

Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 am
happy days wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 am
Tom 2000 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am So does the X denote that particular part has been factory reconditioned or exchange is required? Not strictly the same thing.
Exchange required. If no exchange is possible, the dealer gets charged a horrendous surcharge.
That may be the case but I doubt it is the reason for the 'X'.

Where's the logic in defining a 'new' part by what happened to the part it replaced?
No logic Guy, just standard motor trade practice (and more of an accountancy thing) :lol:

Most major units are "exchange" units; the "X" means there is a significant surcharge applied on the invoice to the price of the part when it is supplied, and only refunded when the old unit is subsequently returned.

Again, I'm not sure what happens to the old units, whether or not they are refurbished, scrapped, recycled to "other" markets. I guess this is dependent on the nature of the unit, the manufacturer, the modification and the severity of damage.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks Paul! I suppose it makes sense to the accountants!

Given that mine was replaced in Feb 18, I am not sure whether I should be willing it to fail again before my extended warranty expires in Aug 20! Beyond that (and if people are still having problems with replacement boxes) I will possibly investigate fitting a 'breather kit' such as this: https://www.flatdoguk.com/arb-different ... r-kit~1025
Paul

Post by Paul »

Interesting link and an interesting product, although it would appear to be more appropriate to “proper” 4 wd where the difs get wholly submerged in water.
I know the cause of tbe Porsche transfer box failures is rumoured to be water ingress so I suppose it could be an answer?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Guy

Post by Guy »

Paul wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm Interesting link and an interesting product, although it would appear to be more appropriate to “proper” 4 wd where the difs get wholly submerged in water.
I know the cause of tbe Porsche transfer box failures is rumoured to be water ingress so I suppose it could be an answer?
There's much more about the breather kit (from someone who has fitted it) in this thread on the US Forum - it includes photos of the possible point of entry of the water: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine ... nge-3.html

'ttmacan' seems to know what he is talking about!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Paul wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm Interesting link and an interesting product, although it would appear to be more appropriate to “proper” 4 wd where the difs get wholly submerged in water.
There's much more about the breather kit (from someone who has fitted it) in this thread on the US Forum - it includes photos of the possible point of entry of the water: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine ... nge-3.html

'ttmacan' seems to know what he is talking about!
😱
I wouldn’t want to get my hands that dirty these days!
(But clearly an accomplished diy er)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Guy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:30 am Thanks Paul! I suppose it makes sense to the accountants!

Given that mine was replaced in Feb 18, I am not sure whether I should be willing it to fail again before my extended warranty expires in Aug 20! Beyond that (and if people are still having problems with replacement boxes) I will possibly investigate fitting a 'breather kit' such as this: https://www.flatdoguk.com/arb-differential-breather-kit~1025
Great spot....So basically the axle seals could be a point of failure also. Looks like someone "Porsche" didn't do their homework!!!
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
Pgt1999

Post by Pgt1999 »

Transfer box failed on my x3 in 2013. £2 k replacement. I removed it at home in 30 minutes, dismantled it in the kitchen and discovered a PLASTIC (!) cog that was paired to a STEEL cog. The teeth on the plastic one were gone across half the cog! I rotated the cog 180 degrees. Reassembled and fitted it again. 90 minutes in total. Car was fine for the remaining 3 years ownership. Totally destroyed my faith in bmw quality and engineering
Keith G

Post by Keith G »

We run a 2015 Porsche Macan SD £34k on the clock and Transfer Box failure (being repaired under 3rd party warranty but that's not the point, It should be a recall)...a 2015 BMW 2 Series Convertible, very pretty but the boot leaks, an elderly 911 (996 variant) with an IMS shaft failure (again, its should have been a recall) and a 2003 Ford Focus...guess which vehicle is the most reliable! Certainly not the premium brands.
Think I will trade down next time!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

£34k on the clock. Have you changed the odometer for a till? :lol: :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel