Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Wow...looking at a lot of different issues on this site, especially this and those related to DPFs, who on earth would be rushing to be first off the line into a new/facelifted model?!! It sounds as though you're best waiting at least 18mths - 2 years into a model's life so that the bugs and failings are ironed out. Food for thought for those sticking their names on the list for a new engined Macan - which btw, will now come with a petrol emissions filter similar to a DPF. Think I may watch from the sidelines for a while! :lol:

Guy

Post by Guy »

GeoffH wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 am - have had a number of failures on 2014 and 2015 cars and as a result newer models have a modified transfer box
On the US forum there's at least one MY17 that's had a transfer box problem. Have a look here: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/compla ... ses-9.html

Mine is coming up to three years old and had a new transfer box fitted about 6 months ago at about 13K miles. I am in the process of extending the warranty by two years, just in case!
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

I have just had the Transfer Box on my 2016 Macan Diesel S replaced. The car has only done 19,000 miles.

First symptoms were juddering when pulling away and in reverse. I rang Silverstone Porsche and the lady in service reception said it was probably the Transfer Box as they had had other failures but would need to confirm this by test driving the car.

This seems to be a known problem and I am worried that it will happen again. In my opinion a major part such as a Transfer Box should not fail after only 2.5 years and 19,000 miles. I spoke to Silverstone Porsche about an extended warranty on the box and they in turn spoke to Porsche GB who offered a 50/50 split on a years warranty extension so I pay £400 instead of £800.

I don't want to pay for an extended warranty I want Porsche to guarantee the Transfer Box.

What sort of warranties have other people been getting?
Guy

Post by Guy »

I was told that the warranty on my new transfer box would run out at the same time as the rest of the car - i.e about 6 months after fitting!

Their offer of £400 towards a years extension sounds very good, especially if they don't charge the £216 inspection fee. I am about to pay full price for a two year extension, with the inspection fee waived.
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I find it amazing that people feel the need to cover themselves with a warranty in case of transfer box failures. Porsche must accept that this is a design/ manufacture issue and should change any transfer box free of charge if it fails in less than 60,000 miles with or without a warranty. I thought I was buying a quality car!?
Guy

Post by Guy »

Crazy diamond wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 pm I find it amazing that people feel the need to cover themselves with a warranty in case of transfer box failures. Porsche must accept that this is a design/ manufacture issue and should change any transfer box free of charge if it fails in less than 60,000 miles with or without a warranty. I thought I was buying a quality car!?
So if keeping a Macan beyond 3 years you definitely wouldn't extend the warranty?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm
Crazy diamond wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 pm I find it amazing that people feel the need to cover themselves with a warranty in case of transfer box failures. Porsche must accept that this is a design/ manufacture issue and should change any transfer box free of charge if it fails in less than 60,000 miles with or without a warranty. I thought I was buying a quality car!?
So if keeping a Macan beyond 3 years you definitely wouldn't extend the warranty?

“Shoulds” and “ ifs” and “ musts” are all very well....but I shall be purchasing a 4th yr warranty this month...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Guy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm
No. I do about 5k miles a year and feel that a car serviced by the main-dealer with less than 20k on the clock should not have any major/ expensive failings. If I was doing 20k a year or more maybe. I am sure I am in the minority but I believe you if you pay for a quality product it should last. I underwrite myself and have always been ok - matter of choice. The transfer box issue is different. This is a known failing which Porsche are aware of so why should the customer insure themselves against its failure?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

A fair point. It would be interesting to know if anyone has successfully challenged Porsche to replace a failed transfer box outside warranty under the UK's six year consumer rights protection laws, which, from my understanding, are intended to cover exactly this sort of unexpected failure.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Guy

Post by Guy »

I am not renewing my warranty to cover the transfer box. The transfer box failure has simply served to remind me that these cars can be expensive to fix. In the big scheme of things, a two year warranty extension seems quite good value, especially compared to the approach taken by most forum members (i.e to change their cars before the warranty runs out! ;) )