Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

On-Track wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:13 am Well, it looks like I'm going to be joining the "failed Transfer Box" section of the forum! The car has all the classic symptoms. OPC is collecting it next week. Apparently, if it is the transfer box they will have it fitted and the car back to me within 48hrs.

The car is just under two and a half years old and has done 24k miles.
Well, I delivered the car to the OPC on Wednesday and collected it, with new transfer box fitted, at close of play on Friday.

Very pleased with the service, just left with a slight worry as to whether I should make sure I don't still own the car when it's five years old.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

On-Track wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am
On-Track wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:13 am Well, it looks like I'm going to be joining the "failed Transfer Box" section of the forum! The car has all the classic symptoms. OPC is collecting it next week. Apparently, if it is the transfer box they will have it fitted and the car back to me within 48hrs.

The car is just under two and a half years old and has done 24k miles.
Well, I delivered the car to the OPC on Wednesday and collected it, with new transfer box fitted, at close of play on Friday.

Very pleased with the service, just left with a slight worry as to whether I should make sure I don't still own the car when it's five years old.
That’s good news 👍

Did you manage to find out if the transfer box fitted has any modifications from the original?
That would then put your mind at rest when the 5 years is up.
GTS 😀
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Or keep it under warranty?

As an aside, I have noticed the odd 'lurch', when pulling away from a junction with significant left or right lock on. It's almost like a tiny bit of (inside rear) wheel spin which is arrested, but not due to me giving it the beans or adverse conditions, just normal driving? Anyone else get this; I assumed it was the rear drive bias, shifting power forwards, albeit not very smoothly at all? Now wondering if it may be related to these transfer boxes?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
MartinRS2K

Post by MartinRS2K »

Are the transfer boxes the same in all models of Macan or different between the SD, S, GTS and Turbo?
Macan GTS collected 28/10/17 - Carmine Red http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4B4758
991.2 GT3 Touring collected 24/03/18 - Carrara White Metallic http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9T3NA0
997.2 GT3RS 2010 - Carrara White with Riviera Blue Decals and Wheels (Only 7,000 miles from New)
Paul

Post by Paul »

nsm3 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am Or keep it under warranty?

As an aside, I have noticed the odd 'lurch', when pulling away from a junction with significant left or right lock on. It's almost like a tiny bit of (inside rear) wheel spin which is arrested, but not due to me giving it the beans or adverse conditions, just normal driving? Anyone else get this; I assumed it was the rear drive bias, shifting power forwards, albeit not very smoothly at all? Now wondering if it may be related to these transfer boxes?
I get this, more pronounced now that it’s a bit cooler - I put it down to the tyres not having quite as much bite in the cold (a bit like the reverse ackerman being more prominent at the moment)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

Greetings all and Happy New Year! Just thought I'd check back in after a prolonged absence and following my return to Blightly (and sunny Shropshire!) It's been a busy few months with the move from Bucharest - although the drive back was quite enjoyable.

Anyway the reason for posting 'here' is that on the 1750 mile return journey I started to notice an extra couple of small jolts from the transmission when pulling away from standstill. These felt very 'mechanical' and happened just before and after the change from 1st to 2nd gear. Easy to miss, but clear as mud once you are looking out for it!

As luck would have it, I am now living just a ten minute drive from Porsche Wolverhampton (newish dealership less than two years' old), so I popped in there a few days ago and explained the problem. Straight away they said 'transfer box' and today it was replaced under warranty. My car (an SD) was first registered Sep 2015, and has done less than 13K miles, mostly motorway but with the occasional trip somewhere more exciting (see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4511&p=87726&hilit ... san#p87726)

Porsche Wolverhampton were very impressive, hence I am very pleased to be so local. I was well looked after by Avril, the Senior Service Advisor, and they leant me this for the last couple of days. It was about -2 degrees when I collected it, and I almost lost the back-end when pulling out of the dealership! :twisted: Great fun for a short period (despite the atrocious potholed roads), but my wife kept turning off the sports exhaust - fun sponge!

IMG_0370.JPG

To be honest I am quite pleased that the transfer box failed whilst still in warranty, although I now have the dilemma about whether to extend the warranty out for another 2 years from this summer.

Anyway, my advice to others who suspect their transfer boxes are mis-behaiving is to get them looked at straight away. The car felt instantly smoother, even as I first drove away from the dealership.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

"Welcome back" Guy! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Guy

Post by Guy »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm "Welcome back" Guy! :)
Thanks WingCo - I was expecting you to be on at least 20,000 posts and a new Porsche by now! :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Indeed, welcome back Guy👍 (Nice loan car!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

Paul wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm Indeed, welcome back Guy👍 (Nice loan car!)
Thanks Paul. Yes I was very impressed to get a Cayman S loaner as a brand-new customer to Wolverhampton. Having only just moved to the area I don't know the local roads well enough to get the most out of it, plus the weather wasn't too good, but great fun nevertheless!