Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Guy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:01 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm "Welcome back" Guy! :)
Thanks WingCo - I was expecting you to be on at least 20,000 posts and a new Porsche by now! :D
Ha ha! Alas 'only' 10,800 posts, but with a new Carrera T incoming...! :mrgreen:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Guy

Post by Guy »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm Ha ha! Alas 'only' 10,800 posts, but with a new Carrera T incoming...! :mrgreen:
Ah - just spotted the 37 page thread. Deja Vu! Looks great - many congratulations!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Cheers, Guy! Delivery due early April I'm hoping...! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Weatherald

Post by Weatherald »

nsm3 wrote:Or keep it under warranty?

As an aside, I have noticed the odd 'lurch', when pulling away from a junction with significant left or right lock on. It's almost like a tiny bit of (inside rear) wheel spin which is arrested, but not due to me giving it the beans or adverse conditions, just normal driving? Anyone else get this; I assumed it was the rear drive bias, shifting power forwards, albeit not very smoothly at all? Now wondering if it may be related to these transfer boxes?
My car has just had a replacement transfer box at 18 k..
It exhibits exactly the same characteristics as you have described from the near side rear wheel before and after the fitting of the new box.
The technician advised that there is a mod on the new box regarding a breather that was allowing water to get in, so fingers crossed. Regarding the rear wheeI, I’ve just extended the warranty for 2 years as I love the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neil
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Weatherald wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am

As an aside, I have noticed the odd 'lurch', when pulling away from a junction with significant left or right lock on. It's almost like a tiny bit of (inside rear) wheel spin which is arrested, but not due to me giving it the beans or adverse conditions, just normal driving? Anyone else get this; I assumed it was the rear drive bias, shifting power forwards, albeit not very smoothly at all? Now wondering if it may be related to these transfer boxes?
It exhibits exactly the same characteristics as you have described from the near side rear wheel before and after the fitting of the new box.
The technician advised that there is a mod on the new box regarding a breather that was allowing water to get in, so fingers crossed. Regarding the rear wheeI, I’ve just extended the warranty for 2 years as I love the car.

Do your cars exhibit these symptoms all the time or on occasion?

Any other symptoms?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Weatherald wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am

It seems like the common causal factor with the transfer box failure is water ingress. I wonder if jet washing under the body is best avoided. I have never jet washed under the body for this reason.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ I have never jet washed under mine.

Also, reading other people's symptoms I'd just like to re-iterate that the clunking I heard from mine was nothing to do with having left or right lock on. Mine had problems when the wheels were pointing straight ahead - pulling away from straight junctions.

I have also read that the hesitation to engage drive when reversing may be linked to transfer box problems; I checked today and mine is still just as bad in this respect despite having a new transfer box fitted last week.

I did try to get some answers about modification of the transfer box from my dealer but they didn't give anything away. One of the technicians did say that they have not yet had a reoccurrence of the fault on any cars that have had a transfer box replacement.

@ Mark-Yorkshire - Yes the warranty extension is a difficult decision! But despite already having the transfer box replaced am 'minded' to go for a two year extension from this Sep. The bit that I would really begrudge paying is the £216 inspection fee - effectively paying for an activity that reduces their risk! I will try to get some sort of deal, even if just a free MOT!!
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Iv always extended my warranty... £650 per yer with Bmw ( 640d) . I try to always be with the opinion that it means I can sell my car privately .. the buyer can buy with confidence.. and I don’t have to sell it to a dealer who will you will undoubtedly want to make 3k profit on my behalf... whilst still being nice to me! Not only that any repair on a car of these marks is going to be eye watering. I think 5k for a new turbo! Good knows how much for a ZF gearbox or DsG... so I don’t think they are a bad thing to do.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Weatherald

Post by Weatherald »

Guy wrote:^ I have never jet washed under mine.

Also, reading other people's symptoms I'd just like to re-iterate that the clunking I heard from mine was nothing to do with having left or right lock on. Mine had problems when the wheels were pointing straight ahead - pulling away from straight junctions.

I have also read that the hesitation to engage drive when reversing may be linked to transfer box problems; I checked today and mine is still just as bad in this respect despite having a new transfer box fitted last week.

I did try to get some answers about modification of the transfer box from my dealer but they didn't give anything away. One of the technicians did say that they have not yet had a reoccurrence of the fault on any cars that have had a transfer box replacement.

@ Mark-Yorkshire - Yes the warranty extension is a difficult decision! But despite already having the transfer box replaced am 'minded' to go for a two year extension from this Sep. The bit that I would really begrudge paying is the £216 inspection fee - effectively paying for an activity that reduces their risk! I will try to get some sort of deal, even if just a free MOT!!

I’ve just extended my warranty. I paid for the mot and got the 111 point check as good will.
They repaired the air suspension fault it was a wiring loom that had chafed through. Extended warranty a no brainer if your keeping the car in my opinion.

Neil
Taz

Post by Taz »

I had the Transfer Box fail on my Cayenne. The dealer spotted it when I took it in for service and they replaced it immediately, no questions asked.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021