Observations after driving a Q5 for the last week

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 pm I think anything that is fitted to a car ie, something that is a safety feature/driving aid, has to work, even if it’s an extra.
Its a MOT requirement that any car fitted with Xenon headlights has to have a working wash system. If a car has normal halogen headlights even if fitted the washers they don't need to work.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thank you, Rab. You learn something new every day! ;) :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I actually drove the new Sq5 before Christmas, I can understand the argument in regards to buying one. Mainly due to the price and new look dash... and tech.. saying that both the sales Se and myself could not turn on the HUD! As written before seats where a disappointment for me in comparison to the 18 ways. Driving position felt like I was looking down at the dash rather than infront of my eye sight. Steering not particularly communicating. Seemed very smooth and seemed to have nice low Down torque. Nice tiptronic gear box ... is this a new one , in replacement of the s tronic?? Overall if I could have got comfortable, and with the 8/10k price difference with 10k of extras (GTs included) so similar spec I might have been tempted. But certainly would recommend it if you are not bothered about having a great handling prestige car.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Mike they don’t give you the option of the 7 speed dual clutch S Tronic box anymore. 😟
Had them in all my previous Audi’s and very similar to the Porsche PDK. Excellent box.

The 8 speed tiptronic is more efficient and smoother especially in the first couple of gears as they have now added more power to their cars. They have too much torque for the S Tronic to handle. The 8 speed has been around for some time now but recently added as standard to different models. It’s still a great box especially in sport mode.
GTS 😀
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Thanks ... I thought it may be something to do with the power, I had previously driven a A7 with the s Tronic, and had read they had a few problems with it.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Paul

Post by Paul »

Xenon (and LED) lights must have operational headlamps washers....don’t ask me why, but they do!

Edit - apologies , already answered, must read all pages in a post before replying😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col M

Post by Col M »

Paul wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 pm Xenon (and LED) lights must have operational headlamps washers....don’t ask me why, but they do!

Edit - apologies , already answered, must read all pages in a post before replying😳
Its an issue of glare I believe the requirement is for "bulbs" over 2000 lumins main not high beam
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

VanB wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:35 pm My Macan has been in for a repair after losing an argument with a pillar in a tight parking space so have been driving the wife's Q5 for the last week and this has really thrown up some interesting observations for me:

The Macan's steering is perfectly weighted, positive and precise by comparison
The engine (3.0 in a GTS) is remarkably smooth and refined
The Macan is a very quiet place to be at motorway speeds
Air suspension absorbs everything thrown at it and never crashes about
The Macan never wallows when cornering and is rock solid
The air circulation and conditioning is far superior to that in a Q5
Power delivery in the Macan is awesome
Ergonomically it is far superior to the Q5
The tech is nowhere near as bad as people make out
The noise on start up will always make me smile

The Macan is actually a rather good looking beast but it is bloody wide!
I am sure most of us agree with all the above, apart from the last, esp after being given a Cayenne for a few days. There's very little difference in width but it seemed huge after the Macan. However, in my Macan, as I did several tims today, I always slow or stop first on our narrow Norfolk lanes, quite content to let oncoming go first.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

image.png

There isn't too much between them in all honesty.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S