Can't resist stating the obvious

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

I’m a modest 1300 miles into ownership of my Sapphire Blue petrol S. With the roads drying out, I’ve just come back from an unnecessary, frivolous and totally enjoyable drive in it. Then I spent minutes just looking at it in the fading winter light. It is a thing of beauty.

Apart from the looks, I especially like –

The understated exhaust roar on start-up.

The wrap-around feel of the 18-ways.

The best-in-class build quality.

Sport mode.

No, Sport+ mode.

The handling and cornering.

Power delivery and the speed of gear change.

The GTechniq crystal serum.

No regrets about my spec but if I could change something -

I'd give it a heated front screen, like my old Freelander had.

I’d make it less easy to accidentally activate the rear screen wash when I only want a single wipe of the blade. That switch is too fiddly.

That’s it. The Macan is just a wonderful thing. But you all know that already.
pj191k89

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Haha, very good, glad you're enjoying it. 8-)

I don't think that you can spec a heated windscreen on a Macan, to be honest. So not an omission on your part.
I would personally find the associated grid a bit distracting.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

:D All of the above and just...driving it. Oh, and did I say...driving it :D
GTS \o/ - sold :(
microbe

Post by microbe »

That's just how I still feel after a year's ownership of my night blue petrol S. I didn't think heated windscreen was available but the windscreen blast set up works well
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
Caster

Post by Caster »

Nice one Nobleman + glad you're enjoying it.

+1 for the Heated Front Screen - had it on previous two cars - shame not available on Macan.

PS......was shooting down the A1 in tandem with a Sapphire Blue Macan yesterday - looked the business!
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
andreas

Post by andreas »

I'm only 300 miles into my new petrol S and I recognise most of the things you love. Having worked in and around the automotive industry for many years, I'm hugely impressed with the build quality of my Macan. I still have a Freelander with a heated screen, which is a nice feature but I do find the little element wires distracting in some lights. Initially, the idea was that the Macan would replace the Freelander, but I ended up keeping it as I can't quite bear the idea of putting horse feed, etc, in the back of the Macan just yet!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Another great review from you, Nobleman! :)

I can identify with all your comments, if I apply them variously to my three Porsches so far. :lol:

Porsche currently offer a great and diverse range of sporty cars. And once they have us in their grasp, ownership of cars from the marque is highly addictive! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

andreas wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:53 pm I'm only 300 miles into my new petrol S and I recognise most of the things you love. Having worked in and around the automotive industry for many years, I'm hugely impressed with the build quality of my Macan. I still have a Freelander with a heated screen, which is a nice feature but I do find the little element wires distracting in some lights. Initially, the idea was that the Macan would replace the Freelander, but I ended up keeping it as I can't quite bear the idea of putting horse feed, etc, in the back of the Macan just yet!
Thanks andreas, great to hear you're enjoying yours too. Agree the Freelander heater element can be distracting but it's so handy to press a button and watch a thick frost disappear from your screen within seconds.

I loved the Freelander, it's a Tonka Toy that took us effortlessly through the Highlands, Lake District, the Lizard and across Europe. Snow, rain, scary gradients, Effortlessly dealt with. Never missed a beat. But I couldn't justify keeping it, and the Macan is just in a different class. This is one of the pics from the advert I placed to sell it.

image.jpeg

pj191k89
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:49 pm Another great review from you, Nobleman! :)

I can identify with all your comments, if I apply them variously to my three Porsches so far. :lol:

Porsche currently offer a great and diverse range of sporty cars. And once they have us in their grasp, ownership of cars from the marque is highly addictive! ;)
Thanks WingCo. I think the test of how good a car is is whether, in addition to all the utility journeys you have to do in it, you still enjoy taking it out for entirely useless and unnecessary drives. The Macan passes the test. :D
pj191k89
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Nobleman wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm I’m a modest 1300 miles into ownership of my Sapphire Blue petrol S. With the roads drying out, I’ve just come back from an unnecessary, frivolous and totally enjoyable drive in it. Then I spent minutes just looking at it in the fading winter light. It is a thing of beauty.

Apart from the looks, I especially like –

The understated exhaust roar on start-up.

The best-in-class build quality.

The handling and cornering.

Power delivery and the speed of gear change.

No regrets about my spec but if I could change something.

That’s it. The Macan is just a wonderful thing. But you all know that already.
Good thoughts Nobleman. Earlier today I parked between a Qhashquai and a Ford SUV thingy, then stood back and admired the design of the front of my Macan compared to the other two, its all just so well done. At the back end the four round tail pipes look purposeful, as they indeed are, imo the best looking and driving SUV available today!
The exhaust sound gets even better with miles (9000 now for me), I've recorded it a few times from a cold start, it only lasts about 40 seconds but enough for me. I also get a few pops on the overrun and a great sound at higher revs, all without PSE.
Handling etc of course is excellent, but also the way PDK operates when in hooligan mode, just as demonstrated at the PEC.
I think Porsche have it just about right with even basic stuff as non standard which caters for all markets and climates. I would like a clock on the dash, as standard in the USA, and a bigger sun visor but that's about it.
Already planning Macan No3, Torque Vectoring on my wish list have but no sun roof, although I would have to tell Mrs B they're no longer available!
Never thought I would be driving a new Porsche.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16