Porsche Macan Washer Jets: unblocking adjust replace

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Both a forum search & wider google search were unhelpful so am posting this with a long title.

It is difficult to adjust or unblock the 2x3 front windscreen washer jets on the Macan, as they are rather hidden below the edge of the bonnet.

Moving the wiper blades to the “service” position helps, but not completely. ( turn ignition off, push wash/wipe control stalk back, wiper blades move up out of their parked position).

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2769&p=123855&hili ... rs#p123855

Today I found it VERY easy to take down the washer jet ‘pack’ from its location in the bonnet metalwork, to service/ replace it.

1) open bonnet
2) locate the 2x washer jet packs clipped into underside of bonnet
3) spread a dust sheet / old towel or similar across top of engine area underneath the washer pack to be removed
4) with a 5mm + flat blade screwdriver or similar, insert between the metal bonnet and plastic jet pack, shorter side of jet pack, GENTLY push & twist, and jet pack pops down and out.
There are plastic spring clip like retaining pieces on jet pack - do it gently and they are undamaged. In really cold weather, you could warm the underside of jet pack with a hairdrier to make the plastic less brittle, but not really necessary.
5) Carefully pull down the jet pack, and it will come out of its location, pulling the washer pipe and electric cable for the heated washer nozzles with it.

These can be easily unclipped to completely remove jet pack if required (pleasingly the washer pipe has a push-fit connector clip, rather than ‘old school‘ pipe to serrated nozzle push on).

6) With jet pack dangling down, its easy to unblock or adjust the washer jets using a large sewing needle or similar.
7) When done, simply push jet pack back into position and it clips in.

Why step (3) with the dust sheet?
I removed the jet pack completely to check the pipe work wasn’t blocked, and ensure it was indeed merely blocked jets.
When refitting, I dropped the damn thing and it fell down the back of the engine - grrrrr !!
The dust sheet would have caught it !
It fell down, onto the bottom engine shield, and it took me another 20 minutes laying under the car, to remove 2 screws and a clip, drop the engine shield, recover jet pack and refit screws and clip.
THAT is why I recommend step (3) 😁😁
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Very helpful and comprehensive Funrider, thanks for taking the effort to post your experience.

I got the OPC to adjust the jets on mine as they weren't directed properly on delivery.

Have you had jets blocking? It's not something I've had on a range of cars in many years. If you have, do you know what's causing it?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Very useful 👍
steve w

Post by steve w »

I read about washer jets getting blocked before on the forum and if I remember correctly it’s down to using cheap washer fluid from supermarkets etc that crystallises blocking the jets.
SteveW
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

steve w wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:23 pm I read about washer jets getting blocked before on the forum and if I remember correctly it’s down to using cheap washer fluid from supermarkets etc that crystallises blocking the jets.
SteveW
Yes I had this problem with a Mercedes, expensive to get it resolved. So only use the manufacturer approved screen wash now.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Hi Nick
I’ve used Halfords concentrated screenwash, suitably diluted, for years without issue.
I think last week it was too concentrated & caused the blockage.
I had poured in a lot, neat, due to the really sub- zero temperatures, and got the blocked jets on only the drivers side the following day.

I think maybe the electrically heated washer nozzles boiled off the water, causing the liquid to become too viscous or crystalize.

Lesson learned ... 😩😩
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Ah, I see. I wondered if there might have been something like that behind it.

As you say, lesson learned, but thanks for replying Funrider and sharing your experience.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
amac

Post by amac »

I believe there is a special tool to adjust the jets but it is very simple to make something similar from a piece of two or three core cable and a needle.

Just cut a length of, reasonably stiff, two or three core cable about 180mm long and then push a needle into the end of it with about 15mm protruding (use pliers to hold the needle and push it in between the wire cores).

It is then possible with the help of a torch to push the needle into the jet opening to unblock it. And provided the wire is reasoanbly stiff you can swivel the jet up, down or sideways to adjust the spray.

washer jet cleaner.jpg

Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

Just saw this I time and saved a visit to dealership.

VERY helpful.

Two minor observations ..

1. The small black spray housing under the bonnet needs to be levered off from the windscreen side as the hooked clips are at the front/headlight side of the bonnet/hood. They are quite fragile and easily snapped off so do not lever off from the front.
2. Once unclipped I found it easy to remove the water supply pipe and blow though the three holes to clear them I did not find prodding them with a small needle resolved the problem.

NB I have only used BP or Shell pre-prepared window wash.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I have about 25 95% full windscreen washer bottles gained from many Porsche services in my shed. I can't seen to go through the stuff as quickly as Porsche seem to think I will.
Macan S D
718 S